rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What's going on in your garden right now?

So today we had a beautiful day and I pruned the two apple trees. Still have two peach trees to get to. Some of the pieces I pruned off were taller than me!

I have lots of seeds under lights, and spinach, carrot, and lettuce seeds in the ground. I have kale, spinach, and chard from the fall that survived winter and are growing again now.

And LOTS of yard projects going on. Still working on putting in a paver walkway to our new front steps.
front walkway.jpg

(more has been added since then, but all of it is just lying there to get the spacing etc. Then it will be moved, the path dug out, paver sand added, and the pavers set in to the sand)

Working on putting picket fence around my main garden area to keep dogs and chickens out.
picket fence.jpg
(If you enlarge this picture and look closely, you can see some of our chickens. How many can you spot? :) )

Still have two more quarters of the big stone circle garden to build.
circle garden.jpg
And the (huge) deck needs refinishing again.

One thing I notice looking at my pictures is that they are always messy. I never seem to get it together to put away all the various buckets, tarps, plastic, etc. to make it look nicer. Oh well, it's always a work in progress.

I will be glad when we get enough done that I can do more gardening and less building!! :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Today's harvest!! Parsley, spinach, swiss chard, and kale that over wintered. Will go in the salad for tonight's company dinner

IMG_2069.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Its been raining for the last three days and I have a cold so all I am doing is watching the weeds grow. Your veggies look really good.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

The snow is melting; ten weeks to garden time.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It has rained here almost every day for 3 weeks. It has been too warm 75 degree yesterday wind gusts to 30 mph. I cleaned up the garden yesterday getting ready for spring. I would love to plant something but I know how unpredictable TN weather is. Some of our worse weather is in March I have seen 10" of snow and freezing weather last of March. I have planted in warm nice weather only to have snow a week later. April 20 is usually our last frost but don't bet on it. Some years I plant tomatoes April 1st if weather does not turn bad I have an early summer crop of tomatoes. I have planted tomatoes May 1st in 80 degree weather only to have it turn cold an kill all the tomatoes. Some years I have to replant 2 or 3 times from cold or too much rain. This year I'm going to relax and wait for weather to get right. My Grandparents and parents use to look at the weather, moon, sky, birds, and keep sayings, signs are not right, signs are not right, signs are not right. I use to say things like, it has been 75 degrees sunny and nice for 2 weeks and your still says, signs are not right? LOL. I never did learn the signs the old folks used to plant buy.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Delete this.

Why are there 2 of these. First post failed, second attempt now there are 2 of these.

LGrammer
Newly Registered

This is mine. But the other day my brother brought luminescent paint Noxton it's known for the best glow strength and I'm in the middle of coloring my side yards. My mom thinks I'm crazy for making everything so glowing but I think it looks great. Or it will. I'll upload pics when I'm finished
Last edited by LGrammer on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting. I'm looking forward to the pictures. What are you putting the glow paint on? Hardscape like side walk? Lawn? plants? I'm having a little trouble picturing it.

LGrammer
Newly Registered

rainbowgardener wrote:Interesting. I'm looking forward to the pictures. What are you putting the glow paint on? Hardscape like side walk? Lawn? plants? I'm having a little trouble picturing it.
On stones from which my sidewalks are made of. Hopefully it will work out

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Where are you located LGrammer? Pacific northwest?

I planted some radishes, kale and green onions about a month ago or more, since the days were in the mid 60's. It came up pretty fast, but then a cold snap. Starting to grow again now.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well, as of today I have mature Kale, Swiss Chard, several varieties of leaf lettuce, beets, collard greens, lots of onions and garlic.

New plants and seeds include Kentucky Wonder pole beans, Japanese yard longs, 2 varieties of cucumbers (pickling and slicing), bell pepper plants, corn and I just finished putting in my okra seeds earlier today.

On the list to get, super hot pepper plants and a couple varieties of eggplant I'll pick up this weekend.

imafan26
Mod

My lettuce is starting to bloom. The weeds are starting to yellow from the round up. It is still overcast and the soil is wet so it makes it hard to weed whack or work the soil. I am going to try to get the pollinator garden in tomorrow if the rain holds off.

imafan26
Mod

Just planted the pollinator garden today
Attachments
My friend Pam came out to help me plant the pollinator garden in the hot sun.  The plants and the people were all a little wilted.
My friend Pam came out to help me plant the pollinator garden in the hot sun. The plants and the people were all a little wilted.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:Just planted the pollinator garden today
That is a huge operation your have going on there. Just how much area are you planting????

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wow, imafan! Gorgeous! Will be so beautiful, when everything has grown out a bit...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Here's the picket fence, complete, but not yet painted:

Here's my seventy year old partner working away with heavy sledgehammer building it:

imafan26
Mod

The pollinator garden is only a small strip. 4ft wide by about 12 ft long. It is to be a demonstration garden for pollinator month in June. It is in a 30 acre public display garden owned by the University of Hawaii. It isn't mine. There are many volunteers who take care of various sections.

My hui (bee hui) will be presenting an activity for June which is pollinator month. I am growing pollinator and beneficial insect plants for the plant sale. This garden is perpendicular to the Hawaiian pollinator garden which was just replanted and that is the area covered with weed mat. We will be presenting a workshop on bees,across this planting there is a planting of sun hemp demonstrating turn the page gardening. We will be making bee houses out of bamboo and pvc pipe, if we have honey we will have that for sale and we have a teaching hive as well as a small observation hive. We will have a head through the hole featuring sunflowers and bees. Probably seed give away if we can get the seeds donated, sign people up for the pollinator pledge (basically to make them aware and to get them to use IPM and bee safe pesticide strategies). Every second saturday we have a theme. There is usually a garden related class, plant doctor booth, FCE (craft booth), plant sale. The Honolulu Rose Society just did their annual rose sale in February and March and on second Saturdays they talk to the public about rose care and we do have a rose garden. There are 5 mini gardens that comprise the Children's gardens where school tours are offered.
Compost demonstration, Hawaiian alphabet, medicinal, and ecosystem gardens, an orchard, Peace gardens, bonsai, plumeria, Idea garden, herb garden, hedge maze, and an apiary. Fruit from the orchard is donated to the local food bank. There are a lot of dedicated gardeners taking care of the garden. But some gardens are orphans and are in need of adoption. Most of the volunteers are retired. The staff cuts the grass, repairs the leaks, and trims the hedges. The fruit hui takes care of the orchard and trims the trees. The largest trees are trimmed by a local tree trimmer.

The pollinator garden I am planting is for the June event. It is only a temporary garden. It is a strip garden along a grassy path. It will be just big enough to demonstrate a pollinator garden that would be yard size. It formerly was used to raise Hawaiian chili peppers for seeds that the UH sold from the seed lab. The seed lab gets seed from various extension stations around the State. They have 28 varieties of seed available that are suitable for this climate. Chili seed was grown here when the regular supplier crop failed.

Hawaii did not have honey bees until the mid 1800's and most of the native and tropical plants are pollinated by birds, beetles, moths, flies, and ants. Honey bees pollinate more than half the fruits and vegetables we eat. Nearly all the nuts, cucurbits, and many fruits are totally or partially dependent on animal pollinators. Native pollinators and native plants evolved in a protected environment that filled very specific niches and the survival of both the plant and animal are co dependent. It is why Hawaii has one of the highest species extinction rates in the world. Those plants and animals are not usually found in an urban environment, but survive in protected conservation zones. We will be demonstrating plants that can be grown in an urban environment to attract honeybees as well as natural predators (beneficial insects) most of which are also not natives but are necessary to pollinate garden vegetables and fruits as well as feed beneficial insects that can manage pests with less chemicals.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Here's the picket fence, complete, but not yet painted:

Here's my seventy year old partner working away with heavy sledgehammer building it:

Is that fence made of all treated wood? If so, how "wet" was the wood when putting the fence up? I've found almost all the treated wood I've fooled with over the years is still very wet from the pressure treating process. This makes it more of a chore to keep paint on it even when letting it dry out over time to get the moisture content out of the wood. Personally, I'd leave it natural or at the very most, apply something like Thompson's Water Sealer on it if you want to keep it from graying as it ages. You can get that stuff in many different pre-stained colors if clear coat isn't to your liking, and the good thing is, you can cover it with a garden sprayer or one of those cheap paint sprayers to make quick work of it. I'd not want to brush all that fencing once it's up.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Those fence panels have been sitting around over a year, waiting for us to get it together to build the fence.... :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Those fence panels have been sitting around over a year, waiting for us to get it together to build the fence.... :)
So, they're good and dry then as long as they were kept out of the weather, and from the freshness of them, it looks like they were. Love the easy chairs in the garden site. Now you just need an small table with an umbrella and a cooler filled with your favorite beverages to really relax when it gets too hot. :>

MoonShadows

Nice fence for your garden area Super Green Thumb. I like it.

Not much going on in my garden right now, and we are expecting our 4th Nor'easter of the month tomorrow, so it looks like we're in for another round of snow and ice.

However, things are shaping up in the greenhouse while we wait for the gardens to thaw. I planted cabbage, Brussel sprouts, lettuce, spinach and scallions in the two cold frames in my greenhouse 4 weeks ago.
79-Mar_19.jpg
80-Mar_19.jpg
I have also started tomatoes, peppers, egg plant and lavender in 80 Jiffy pots this past weekend. Yesterday, I took the Balsam, Fraser and Douglas Fir seeds that I had stratifying in my frig for the past two months and planted 28 of each. This is the first time I am trying trees from seeds.
82-Mar_19.jpg
81-Mar_19.jpg
Maybe after this next round of snow, I'll start my flowers in the greenhouse. I am planning to start about 24 dozen...give or take.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wow, very impressive operation, Moon Shadows. Is your greenhouse heated?

MoonShadows

Thanks! I built a solar hot water heater storage system and have a small electric (oil filled radiator type) for back up. You can see a short video about my solar build in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73889&p=417679#p417679

If you want to see the video a bit larger, here is the YouTube link: https://youtu.be/iCcUp2NQgvI

I also sealed every little nook and cranny I could find and put Reflectix insulation on the north and east walls. Even on the latest nighte where it has been falling into the mid 20's here, my greenhouse stays in the mid to up 40's. On colder or real cloudy daysdays, I have to supplement with the electric heater.,

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”