Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes reduced risk of many dieases & cancer

I just saw this on TV 30 minutes ago on a science show. There is something in tomatoes called carotene that is a natural sun blocker. People that eat lots of tomatoes have a high resistance to sun burn. This is the first time I ever heard this. Maybe that is why I can stay outside in the sun all day and never get sun burn I eat lots of tomatoes in everything I can cook tomatoes in. I decided to look up carotene online this is what I found.

Tomatoes contain all four major carotenoids: alpha- and beta-carotene, lutein, and lycopene. These carotenoids may have individual benefits, but also have synergy as a group (that is, they interact to provide health benefits).

A diet rich in vegetables has been associated with a reduced risk of many diseases related to aging and modern lifestyle. Over the past several decades, many researches have pointed out the direct relation between the intake of bioactive compounds present in tomato and a reduced risk of suffering different types of cancer.

I could copy and paste lots of articles too many to paste them here, go online look up tomato carotene read them yourself.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Sounds good. Looking forward to some of these this summer

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”