brian

Trellis on north facing wall

I have a trellis on the front of my house which faces north. It gets some afternoon sun and general light all day. There are two small cedars and a dogwood in close proximity to the trellis. The front of my house is red brick. I am looking for a climbing plant that will grow in these conditions and add some life to the front of my house. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :D

NewjerseyTea

I'm not sure of your zone but I believe Lonicera sempervirens is hardy to zone 4. It is the NA native non invasive honeysuckle. The Asian honeysuckle is very invasive so make sure you have the correct one. The yellow flowering cultivar "John Clayton" might be pretty with redbrick behind it. It also has interesting leaves. In a shady spot it might only bloom in the spring but in the sun it blooms all summer up to the heavy frost of late Fall. It has the added advantages of being a humming bird magnet and forms red orange small seeds that look like berries in the fall - winter until the birds eat them.

How big is the trellis? I keep the front 2 of mine trimmed to fit a space about 10' tall between 2 yews. The bottom will eventually form a multi stemmed woody vine so you need to tie it to your support for a nice form. I have one in the shadier area in my backyard that forms a lovely half umbrella shaped cascade at about 6ft..
I wish it was easier to post photos so I could show you an example

brian

Tahnks for the advice. My trellis is about seven feet high. I wasn't really thinking of yellow as a colour but now that you suggest it I am thinking that it would look really nice. If I am shopping for the plant that you suggested, do you have any suggestions on what I should be looking for or what I should watch out for in a starter plant. Also what type of growth should I be expecing in the first season depending on conditions of course. Thanks again for your advice. :D

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

L. sempervirens is marginally hardy in Zone 4a. It died or was severely damaged in trials at the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum but suffered only minor damage in trials at Orono, Maine (both 4a). Depending on where you are in Ontario it might be fine or it may not.
The only reliably hardy honeysuckle vine in 4a Minnesota is Lonicera x brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet'. It was developed in Manitoba. It is supposed to be sterile so it shouldn't be invasive. It may be an inferior nectar source to straight species L. sempervirens but it is still a hummingbird magnet.

brian

Thank you I will look up those species and se if they are available in my area. :D

brian

[img]https://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm19/brianscooby123/IMG_0535.jpg[/img]
Here is a picture of the location I am talking about. I am kind of embarrassed about the state of the front of my house, but thats what years of neglect will do. Fortunately those days are gone and I am dedicated to bringing this area back to life. God Bless, Brian. :D
Also I am thinking about removing and replacing the two trees behind the Euonymus fortunei any suggestions? I am not against trying to salvage them if it is possible but right now they are nasty looking!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”