digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2018 What's the weather like where you are?

It freezes every morning. The other day, we arrived at the big veggie garden at 10am and there was still ice in the neighbor's birdbath. Still, it has been sunny days with little wind - above 60° on 5 of the last 7 days and continuing thru the weekend, according to the WS ..!

Since the corn and sunflowers are already down, if I can get the stakes out and cut down any taller plants ... nah, no reason to knock ourselves out.

What a blessing to have nice weather at this time of year!

Steve

applestar
Mod

We have 2nd round of frost advisory overnight for tonight until tomorrow morning, and the forecasted temperature is slightly lower than the last time, which might mean sustained freezing temperatures rather than merely hovering just above and at 32°F.

Last time, it was all I could do to bring in most of the container plants, but I should make decisions about and, take care of all freeze susceptible plants and other concerns. I did pull the 1/4 inch waterline from the cement turtle pond spitter last time and turned it over to drain, but this time, I should check all the garden hose connections, check for any glass or ceramic containers, and other freeze susceptible decorative objects including unglazed clay pots that might still be out there.

...it’s REALLY windy today too,

applestar
Mod

...yep. They’ve revised to FREEZE WARNING. This it IT!

dylansova96
Newly Registered

I live in Arizona so it is pretty hot over here. Our grass are super dry (at least mine) and I need to continuously use some kind of fertilizer to help to retain the water

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I'm always interested in our weather, especially when I have outdoor things to do and have to be out in it. Today, I am a little excited.

Rain is coming!

There hasn't been any rain in 2 weeks after a very welcome 1/2" fell over about 48 hours. During the entire month of September, we saw only 1/8" of rain. And, I gotta tell you -- how the WS even measures sprinkles that amount to a 10th of a 10th, I don't understand. But, they do measure these events, when the Earth's surface isn't even uniformly damp ...

August had 1/3" with 1/4" falling on one day. July's total rainfall was 3/100". Yeah, .03 of an inch of rain ... it has been such a dry summer again this year! Tonight! :-() there should be rain ... and, over the next 4 or 5 days, I'm guessing that nearly an inch may fall! Clear skies should be back by Halloween ... for the kids to be out.

Hopefully, more rain is in prospect or a snow season while some benefit can be gained for the nearby evergreen forests.

:) Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well Steve, may not be getting much rain, but we're getting deluged right now. It's been steadily raining for a few hours now and water has accumulated between my rows in significant volume. It is so overcast that at almost 8:30 a.m. it looks to be closing in on nightfall. We've been getting almost daily rain to some degree for over a week now, some light sprinkles to raining cats and dogs as the saying goes.

Can't say the garden needs it either, but it is what it is and it just has to be dealt with.

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees right now and it was down to 69 degrees around 3 a.m. The high is going to be around 84 with 90% humidity. With mostly cloudy conditions, it will he hot outside with a chance of an occasional sprinkle of rain. The trades turned on to about 3-6 mph. So, it means that it is a typical day in Hawaii. It is going to be another green Christmas and if the weather follows tradition, there will be some rain on Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year. It is the rainy season after all.

I am still waiting for the shiso to bloom and the plumeria leaves to drop.
Sunrise is 6:31 a.m. and sunset will be 5:59 p.m. So I have 11 hours 28 min and 10 seconds of daylight today.

If you are going to the beach, it is a nice day for surfing. The big surf usually arrives in January.

HIGH SURF ADVISORY FOR SOUTH FACING SHORES

Surf along south facing shores will be 8 to 12 feet through Friday.

Surf along north facing shores will be 5 to 8 feet through Friday.

Surf along west facing shores will be 6 to 10 feet through Friday.

Surf along east facing shores will be 2 to 4 feet through Friday.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We picked up 2/3" of rain, then had a blue sky Saturday.

Since late last night, the other 1/3" inch of rain has fallen. Yay! There may be a little more and the WS is suggesting a showery week. I like how the WS meteorologist puts it in the forecast discussion: "This will keep the region under a persistent northwest jet aloft which will transport a corridor of rich atmospheric moisture into the region and sling a pair of shortwaves through." :D

Plant life may not immediately benefit. At the highest elevations, this precipitation is likely all snow. Note that - travelers driving over the Rockies and Cascades. The soil is very dry but perennials must be dormant even at lower elevations because of continuous nighttime freezing. Don't know tho, I have seen a gnats, flies and mosquitoes this last week after so many afternoons in the 60's. Wildlife!

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is 73 degrees now and it rained hard a little while ago. It has slowed to a drizzle. More rain is on its way. The humidity is 99% and no wind so the rain is relatively warm. The air conditioner at work is broken, so a lot of people are taking their breaks in their cars so they can turn the air conditioning on. That is the one thing in Hawaii that is cheap. Heat is free.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Nov 1 no frost & no freeze. 2 weeks ago it was 33 for 2 nights. Rain & 60s & low 70s this week. More 70 weather Sun & Mon.

imafan26
Mod

It rained again last night. It was sunny this morning but with thick clouds, so I took a chance and sprayed some weeds. Hopefully, it will dry before the rain comes again. It is already getting darker on the other side of the mountain. I was busy with work and the arbor day activities for the last week, so I really did not get a chance to go out in the garden until today. A few of the under potted plants were not looking so hot, but most are doing o.k. I pulled a few weeds and I am moving some things around in the garage. I can still be doing that even if it does decide to rain. It is 80 degrees now. The expected low is around 66 tonight. Pretty average for this time of year.

applestar
Mod

Rainy here as well. I woke at 5:30am, organized the garage until it was light, then went outside and managed to inoculate one big oak trunk round with Lion’s Mane mushroom spawn and bring inside another smaller piece, hopefully for Maitake, then went around to the backyard and worked on a compost pile and picking up/cleaning up the patio, covered one bed with rain-soaked cardboard, etc. until it was raining too hard and I had to come inside.

After that, I mostly spent the day net surfing about mushroom growing. :()

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I got over 1 1/2" of rain here today, and that was looking at the gauge just as it was getting dark. I went out to vote at around 7:30 am, and made it just before it started, which was before 8 am. It stopped after it got dark, so I finally took in my trash cans! lol

imafan26
Mod

I have been getting absentee ballots for years. It is so much better! I can take the time to look up some of the names on the ballot that I never heard of and check any of their activities or voting records. Some of the candidates this year weren't so great, but their opponents were worse.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How can it be 25 degrees in Nashville TN then 30 miles south at our house it is 9 degrees warmer 34 degrees. Still no frost & no freeze here. WHY has TV weather report gotten so complicated, temperature was 25, feels like 20, average 30, predicted 29, lowest record 20, highest recorded 38, then -20 degrees I never understand the negative numbers? All 3 channels have their own idea what weather will be. It was not suppose to rain yesterday but it rained again. I think it has rained every day for a month. Now they claim snow Monday. National weather vs local weather is worse, they claimed 20 degrees and snow Sunday. LOL.

I typed this about 7 am then about 9:30 am temperature had dropped to 32 degrees water in the bird bath was frozen. At 1 pm it was 39 degrees.

Now it is 7:30 pm and it is 32 degrees outside. Weather man claims it will be 21 degrees Sun Morning. 7 am Sunday it is 24 deg F. 2" of snow have been moved to Tuesday & Wednesday.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

I usually look at the weather satellite images. The news reports cover a wide area. Usually it is raining, snowing, foggy, cloudy, sunny, or clear somewhere. Just not necessarily where you are at the moment.

When they say we will get rain, it depends on the direction it is coming from. It may hit another island first and hit us a day later. Sometimes, it rains on the windward side of the mountain, but it will be dry on the leeward side.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had our first frost last night. Frost all over everything when I got up this morning. All the annuals which were beautiful yesterday are frost killed. :(

We are having a major cold snap, with temps 20 degrees below normal -- lows in the 30's, but highs only in the 40's (brrr...). Normal for the date would be 64/ 40.

applestar
Mod

Currently 25°F — overnight Hard freeze for sure :eek:
8687AF6C-CA94-4C63-9151-DDF682EC2ED6.png
...and we are down to 10 hr days, AND the sun sets before 5pm since Daylight Saving Time has ended —
FC8F1B4A-DC5F-4621-9DB9-BF7F94DCB0A0.jpeg
... I remember seriously disliking driving home in the dark after sun had set when I was working, but also remember waiting for the high school bus in the dark before sunrise in the morning in late fall before DST ended. :|

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I understand from the WS that it will likely to be raining in Washington D.C. by the end of the day.

Here, it's just above freezing after a morning low of 20°f.

Cleaned the gutters yesterday and it was about like draining the swamp. Everything was frozen but there was a slight thaw. Leaves removed with effort but draining should work ... we'll see.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Well, I guess it is official. It is 67 degrees. It probably was a degree or two lower a couple of hours ago. Light rain, and the plumeria has dropped most of the leaves. It is winter in Hawaii. It will only get into the low 80's today with an occasional passing shower.

applestar
Mod

Hah! I love reading about the varied perception of cold and arrival of winter in different parts of the country and globe.

Here, we are getting our first snow. According to this morning’s forecast, something frozen was going to start falling around 10am. I’m so glad I was talked into making my Dad’s doctor’s appointment at 8:45am. Wow, so early for him, but that was when the wheelchair capable transport was available, and I could meet him there. It turned out to be a short and easy follow up visit, and I was able to rely on the transport bus driver to take him back home.

The skies waited until I parked my car in my own driveway and got under the porch to start dropping ice pellets.... and now —

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It was sleeting here from at least 7:30 am - when I got up! It was 37 out there then, and it is now 35, which is probably why it switched over to snow. There is about 1/2" on the rails around my deck. However, it is supposed to switch to a HEAVY rain later, to melt all this...hopefully!

applestar
Mod

It always amazes me how our short distance can sometimes make such a difference — its 31° F here with ‘feels like’ of 25, :shock:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I have been keeping a small clear plastic cup about 1/3 full of water outside on the roof of my vehicle that I am not driving for several weeks the water in that cup has not frozen yet. One night the bird bath had paper thin ice on the water surface that is the only time it froze ice. That same night water cup did not freeze. 3 water containers setting on the ground in 3 different places have not froze yet either, the ground is warmer than the air. This morning as sun was coming up over the horizon weather man said, 25 in Nashville, 29 in Murfreesboro, water cup still not frozen. Bird bath and nothing else I set out with water froze either. This morning my digital thermometer said 31. 1 tall flower pot of flowers on the patio is dead clearly from frost or freeze but several other plants on patio are doing good. Rhubard in the garden is doing good. Potato plants are doing good. Last week my thermometer said it was 29 degrees outside water cup not frozen on vehicle roof and no plants died. There must be enough heat in the soil to keep things near the soil from freezing. We have had no noticeable frost yet, none on the vehicle windows and none on the grass. I don't understand frost sometimes it will frost at 39 degrees and other times no frost at 29 degrees.

applestar
Mod

Fun experiment! I’m guessing the closed up car heats up like a greenhouse and then there’s enough thermal mass to release heat that rises to the top of the car?

I think the ground doesn’t really start to freeze for about a month after first frost. Heatsinks like rocks and pavement will help to deter frost. And until then, maybe the freeze-thaw cycle releases some heat, too?

Frost/freeze resistant plants will be converting starch into sugar to turn their saps into anti-freeze.

Frost — I only remember it has something to do with dewpoint.... Also slope of the land — like colder air will flow down hill and pool in lowest spot. I’m getting pretty good idea where it gets frosted first (and last) at different parts of my property. In the late winter/early spring, where the snow melts first is a good guide as well, though that is also dependent on sun exposure.

imafan26
Mod

This is a naive question. What is sleet? The only snow I see is the buildup in my freezer.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Above even tropical isles moisture must often gather together as ice crystals.

The atmosphere is made up of air at different temperatures. Usually, the higher layers of air will be the coldest and ice crystals that fall out of it may melt when reaching air that is above freezing. Sometimes, the precipitation is only in the process of melting when it hits the Earth's surface. Sleet.

In a heavy downpour, sleet pretty much amounts to falling slush!

Cold! Clothing can become quickly saturated. It won't just drift off or be brushed off like cold, dry snow.

Sometimes, the Earth's surface is well below freezing and the air layer above the surface is above freezing. Rain freezes on the ground, trees, sidewalks, streets ... soon after it falls: yikes!

Hail occurs when there is lots of freezing air movement tossing the ice crystals about until they are heavy enough to fall to the ground. When hail is above pea-size, it will begin making the news! Large enough, it will damage roofs and break windshields.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Forecast for lows in mid teens °F by Thursday — a little early I think. Not usually expected until well into December.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yet it was just 50° here an hour ago! I was outside, and thinking about how warm it felt, so I looked, and sure enough, it said 50.2°. And I had seen earlier that Wednesday night it's down to 24°, and Thursday night, down to 20°.

Definitely too early for this. Fortunately, I have nothing out there except garlic!

imafan26
Mod

It was a beautiful sunny day. It did not rain and I was at work so I only got to see about 1.5 hours of sunshine. Total daylight was 11.05 hrs.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Imafan,

Here, 9.1hours of daylight. (Where is our Edmonton gardener :wink:?)

I was driving south at noon, today. Bright and sunny! Level road. Had to bring the visor down to block the sun from my eyes. Oh, I'm not short. It's just how low the sun's angle is.

The lawn grass reflects that sunlight in a rather charming way ... of course, frost now lingers in the shade sunrise to sunset, without melting.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

The sun does come from a different angle but it is still blinding driving west (ewa) at five in the afternoon. The sun being farther away does help although it still gets up to 80 degrees in the daytime, the intensity is less. It is a good time to move plants to more sun and repot.

I can grow broccoli, although only one of my plants is growing to any size, the other is way far behind. I can grow cilantro again, but I still have to deal with the snails cutting them down overnight.

It is 64 degrees now, the garbage has just been picked up and the the day is getting brighter. There are a few clouds with the usual windward and mauka showers. The high today is expected to be 79 degrees. I have a lot of work to do outside, but I have to do the laundry and clean up in the house as well.

Yesterday, the stores have started to put up the tree lots and filling them with Christmas trees. Real Christmas trees this year will range from $35 for a 3ft to over a $100 for a 6ft noble fir. Since I am not big on dead trees anyway, I just need to move my sheared rosemary to the front yard and repot my stone pine that I got a couple of years ago to replace the older one that died. That one is only about a foot tall. I heard rumors that the stores are not going to wait until Black Friday to start selling trees. They may have a soft opening and start selling trees as soon as they are set up.

ACW

I have just woken up to the first frost of the year , I guess thats my Zuchini ?courgettes will be done for the year .
too busy with work to even check it out ,should be the last leaves fallen by the weekend.

applestar
Mod

Currently 13°F with forecasted high of 35°F, today is going to be warmer than yesterday when we had official recorded high of 32°F (my garden thermometer never went up above 28°F) :shock:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My two remote thermometers had mins of 16 and 17° last night. Still 23° when I went to the PT at 9 am.

pow wow

It's about freezing here in Calgary a lot of snow is on the way so I biked down to the river to feed birds, they may not see me for a couple days if I'm shoveling snow or maybe using my snow blower for the first time.

Mr and Mrs Downy Woodpecker had their fill of the suet block today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139842551 ... ed-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139842551 ... ed-public/
P1060004.JPG

imafan26
Mod

No woodpeckers here. Thanks for the pictures. All I have are the pesky bulbuls, mejiro, cardinals, and spotted doves. They are all fruit and seed eaters and are generally pests in the garden eating papaya, and the chili peppers, even the seeds out of the pots. The golden plovers have arrived from Alaska. They are ground nesting birds and they like to nest in lettuce. They will vacation here until March before they fly home to Alaska.

Once in a while a cattle egret will swoop down after I mow the grass looking for insects and lizards to eat, but they don't stay for very long.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It rained! And, snowed! We had nearly 3/4" of an inch of precipitation over the last 48 hours. I'm expecting more since another storm is supposed to be coming by mid week and, maybe, the November total will rise above 2".

It has to help. Maybe just to raise the stream levels a little and benefit the fish ... I don't know ... It's been a very dry year.

Redding California, where I used to live, has had some rain. The local newspaper there reported that a FEMA center opened on Thanksgiving Day in nearby Chico. There have been more confirmed deaths in that fire that began November 8 with nearly 13,000 homes and apartment buildings destroyed. My uncle once lived in Paradise. There is more rain expected in the area in a few days, also.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Last night weather was amazing just like something from a horror movie. Wind was howling through the trees all night. Cloudy over cast sky glowed bright from the full moon all night. Wind whistled past the back door as tree leaves twirled around like little tornadoes on the patio all evening. I went outside several times before bed to enjoy the strange weather. Moon light coming through the bedroom window kept waking us up we thought the sun is coming up all ready. It was windy all night wind is still blowing this morning an 34 degrees but it does not feel as cold as I expected. Pets were warm as toast in the pet condo all night they came running ready to eat when they saw me come outside this morning. Pet food dishes blow away, I found them on the other side of the patio in the tree leaves. I am enjoying this weather last night would have been a great night to be camping.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Weather here has been a little different than usual. It is still dry in this part of the West but not all that cold.

After many weeks of freezing mornings, yesterday was the first morning colder than 20°f. I am old enough to remember that it has been minus 20° in late November. Some of the coldest weather I have ever seen was right about now.

Okay, that was somewhat unusual. I know that the average "coldest week" varies by location and years hit average only at times. Here, it is usually right after New Year's Day. This year, these recent days, it's not going down very low and despite blue skies and sunshine, it isn't going above freezing. I'd prefer not to see all that much sub-zero weather so, I guess I can be happy about the fall 2018 temperatures.

Snow cover is a little concerning. I can find a little on the ground a few hundred yards away because, although it hasn't been really cold and there has been plenty of sunshine, the little skiff of snow that showed up a week or so ago, is still around in some shade. Mountains and hills look lovely, evergreen and snowy white :) . However, the Weather Service says that there is little snow higher compared to average years. At least, the ski resorts are opening. We will see about winter snow. Locally, summer drought but higher elevations have had good to very good snow pack, in the most recent years.

Steve

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”