digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2018 What's the weather like where you are?

I didn't really intend to make a pun about our windy conditions but it's kinda apropos. Exhausting - meaning "tiring." It adds a level of physical stress. Exhausting - something is "blown away." Joking, like my enthusiasm for talking about it.

Another thing that is lost is the protected micro climate conditions with so much mixing of high and low altitude air. Near the soil surface, the sun heats things up. The sun goes down or is obscured by clouds, temperatures are closer to what they usually are much higher.

Bright midday sunlight and the temperature rises to 80°f, and above. That air is swept away, the sunlight disappears, and temperatures drop locally about 35°! Again and again ... 85° at home yesterday, 49° yet again at 5AM.

It must add to plant stress and weaken their resistance to disease and pests. My cruciferous vegetables have been doing well and, surprisingly, the pumpkins. I set myself on a route to find better uses for pumpkin a few years ago (soup!) but ran into a DW roadblock because she prefers winter squash ... Oil seed press, anyone :wink: ?

Steve

ACW

London England ,no rain for at least 5 weeks,none forecast for the next fortnight and man its hot .!
recent temperatures have been in the 30+C=86 farenheigth or more ..
yhis is the driest hottest summer since 76 in England .

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is so dry here when I walk across the grass it sounds like I am stepping on potato chips. Humidity is low it feels good. Grass is not growing & I don't have to mow it.

ACW

Much cooler today,which is a releif ,and we had a wet weekend with maybe half an inch of rain,thats no where near enough.
soil in the unwatered parts of the garden is damp maybe an inch down and then the spade depth at least is bone dry ,trees are shedding leaves and some of the big matuere trees are turning to autumn colours due to lack of moisture.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When we left the house I notice the whole west sky was very black storm appeared to be moving very fast. 15 minutes later we parked at the restaurant storm was entering the parking lot. We sat near the window to watch black clouds came through faster than the cars on the highway. I never saw a storm in TN move this fast but I have seen this in CO & MI. One seconds sky was blue with white clouds then the black clouds pushed through like a big bulldozer. Wind started blowing very hard then it rained so hard I could barely see cars in the parking lot. After 10 minutes storm was over just as fast as it came. Times like this I wish I had my camera to take a video.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Very Hot.

Three days above 100°f, with a record tied nearby. The WS thermometer nearest home showed 106° and 107° on two of the days.

After nearly an inch of June rain, 3/100 of an inch of rain fell in 3 July "rain events." How does the Weather Service even measure such minuscule amounts!?

Yesterday, the wind showed up with gusts above 30mph. The smoke haze that had hung around for days, mostly blew away. It will be back. The WS person had said that a frequent question from the public was "where is the smoke coming from?" His/her answer was, "where is it not coming from?" I'm afraid to check on those wildfires this morning ...

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We have been having a very mild wet summer. Lots more days under 90 degrees and zero days in the 98-99-100 range. Some of our night time lows (including last night) have been in the 60's -- very odd for mid-August. The first summer we were here 2016, was a year of killer heat and drought and we had tons of 98-99-100 degree days and no rain. Now we have had about 47" of rain to date in 2018 (!). Average total rainfall here for a year is 52" inches of rain and we have a lot of 2018 left. Unless it slows down A LOT, we are headed for an above average rainfall year. But not record breaking and we have not had major flooding.

applestar
Mod

56°F at 5 am.

...but forecast for 94°F/75°F on Tues. and Wed. So no, summer is not over yet!

....... 54°F now at 5:50 am

Last edited by applestar on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: 2 degrees lower! Added weather report screenshot

DigDirt
Newly Registered

Cloudy, rain and some sun
Attachments
Ohne Titel.tiff
Ohne Titel.tiff (44.69 KiB) Viewed 8887 times

imafan26
Mod

Lane went by painfully slow. The Big Island and Maui had record flooding 52 inches on the Big Island.

Kauai had flooding yesterday and they still had not fully recovered from the April flood.

FEMA came to the islands before Lane arrived and the utilities and DOT had prepositioned men and equipment in the Wilson Tunnel and most of the mayors of each island sent out crews to clear drainage canals and ditches and closed roads prior to the storm that were prone to flooding and rock falls.

Lane battered Hilo on Tuesday, August 21 and the rain continued for 3 days.

Maui was next and the storm had moved so slowly 2-4 mph that most of the rain did not reach Oahu till Friday and Saturday.

I was lucky, it rained all night but I only lost power at 4:30 a.m. on Friday morning and it was back on by 6. On Sunday, the power again went out around 4:30 but it took longer to get back on. I went to work with the power off. The most annoying thing was that I had to disconnect the garage door to get it open. I made a dam in my patio with concrete blocks and soil since my patio is prone to flooding when the rain comes down hard and fast. I also spent some time Thursday grading the side of my yard so the water could make a faster exit.

Kauai got the rains the last two days and they also flooded in the same areas that got hit by the April floods. Some roads are still closed until they can move the debris and fallen trees away.

When Lane was passing South of Hawaii, the winds sparked 3 fires in Lahaina, Maui and one wildfire in Waianae on Oahu. The Lahaina fires burned for days, the wind whipped the flames and the firefighters set up a line within 20 ft of homes. A few homes were still lost, but the residents were all evacuated to safety. They were actually praying for rain to put the fire out. The flames isolated Lahaina from the rest of the Island and luckily the surf did not get as high as predicted, otherwise the largest town on Maui would have been cut off.

The fire in Waianae was next to the Kahe Power plant. It started when the winds caused the high power lines to touch and it sparked. Firefighters widened the fire break to protect the power plant and no homes were threatened, but a few of the power poles burned. The rain finally came and put all the fires out.

Today, is the first day I have seen blue in the sky. It is still cloudy, but the trades have returned and it is not as muggy, even though it is going up to 89 degrees today.

Our respite will be short. Miriam, about 1500 miles east of Hilo and headed toward us is expected to intensify to hurricane status in a day. The track is predicted to turn north into cooler waters and not affect us as the hurricane moves into a gap in the Pacific High pressure ridge.

About a week behind Miriam, is Norman. Norman is also on a path directly westward and heading toward us. It is also expected to intensify into a hurricane in 3-5 days. It is too far away to predict its path.

We are most vulnerable to storms in September and October because the water is warm and the Pacific High which usually protects us moves away as the Aleutian low becomes a bigger influence. The Pacific High is an anticyclone that rips hurricanes apart usually before they get to us. The Aleutian low, on the other hand, strengthens and intensifies hurricanes that are drawn to it. It draws hurricanes northward toward the low. The Aleutian low is more dominant at the end of summer. Hurricanes passing to the North of Hawaii can come close and drop a lot of wind, rain and kick up the surf, but hurricanes to the south of us can veer North suddenly.

applestar
Mod

I was so shocked to learn today’s high had been 217°F that I just HAD to take a screenshot :>

...getting some much needed rain atm...

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

And I guess it couldn't have been a mistake, where someone actually meant to put 21.7°! lol

I got over 5" of rain here, with that front that came through. What did you get from that, Apple? The news said that Woodbury got 4.53", when they came on at 11 PM, but it was still raining a few min ago, when I went out back to turn the delays on my watering timers. Don't think I will need to water for a while, even with the SIPs, as the high temps will be in the 70s and 60s the next two days. And Sunday is supposed to be rain for much of the day.

applestar
Mod

The “anti-rain device” scattered the clouds yet again just before reaching my garden and the reported rain according to nearest wunderground station was 0.01” last night, but it’s raining this morning and we have had 0.23” so far.

I’ll have a better idea once I get out there and look around.

The difference even between our two gardens is astonishing....

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is still pouring out here, and the radar shows no signs of stopping any time soon.

My rain guage is overflowing. It gows up to a 6" line, with about 1/4" above it.

applestar
Mod

3.3 inches in the last two days according to nearby weather station, that means we probably got a little more.

...that might sound contradictory to what I said before, but I’ve noticed this kind of discrepancy before when measuring actual amounts. I’ve always attributed it to localized dust-devil kind of mini-swirls that seem to occur.

Of course my containers are not the official rain gauge type, so it’s always possible it’s my own measuring error....

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We went camping 85 miles east of the hurricane zone we were out of range of the clouds & rain it was 95 degrees and hot. Nights only cooled down to 80 it was still humid & hot. Now we are home, dark gray over cast sky an 65 degrees all day and a bit windy. I had to put on my long sleeve flannel shirt to stay warm.

imafan26
Mod

You know I can never figure out the rain reports. Sometimes it seems like we got rain but the report is only .01".

Well, in other news, we have another storm coming. Not as big as Florence on the East coast, but with one coming almost every week it is nail biting. Olivia is has been downgraded to a tropical storm but the winds are about 70 mph or 5 mph less than a cat1. The track has it dropping down from the Northwest and landing around Hana, Maui. Hana and the Big Island will again get the strongest effects of both the wind and the rain. Lane produced lots of rain, but not a lot of wind. Those poor people have barely cleaned up from the last flood and they may flood again. It will be very hard for the farmers to recover from a third massive flood this year. The storm is predicted to land sometime Tuesday night to Wednesday. It may slow after interacting with the mountains and is predicted to again pass south of Oahu. This time since the passage is closer and the storm is only weakening slowly, we may get more wind as well as rain. I kept most of my supplies and I am washing out my water bottles. I drained my water barrels since they were already full. Oahu is in a storm watch while Maui and the Big Island have a storm warning. I am going to do my laundry early in the morning and I bought more bucket covers ( they finally came in. I hope they fit). I will put the plants back under cover and move what I can out of the way. Some are still under cover from Lane, but I need to move the orchids again and some potted plants into the garage. I don't have any plywood to cover the windows, but I cannot do that by myself. I did take pictures of everything when Lane approached so I do have that and I checked the hurricane kit again. I have brought up a bunch of towels and rags in case I need them if the rain comes through the windows. I need to reinforce my dam by the patio. It did not flood so it did not get tested last time. I do expect the power to go off. So, I have unplugged most of the things and the computer, table lamps and my radio are all that are left to unplug. When Lane came by, the electric company did a good job of sending crews to where the outages were. They came in 30 minutes or less and it took 1-2 hours to restore power. I don't actually need a storm to lose power. The utilities are underground and they often go out when it rains hard enough. I did plant some seedlings in the garden. If it rains hard, it might bruise them, but there is nothing I can do about it now.

imafan26
Mod

Still waiting for Olivia. I put as much of the pots I could into bags and brought my ohia into the house. I thought I lost my cat when I discovered I left the door partially open, and of course he refused to come when I called him. He has since made an appearance. Olivia has decoupled which is good news since it is breaking up faster and it has slightly shifted course so it may land on Maui or somewhere in the channel between Maui and the Big Island. The winds are down to 50 mph from 70 mph this morning. All of this in a low shear environment and warmer water. We are so lucky, and I am still holding my breath. We are still expecting a lot of rain, flooding, landslides, and the power going out. The storm has slowed to 15 mph so now it will not get near Maui until about 2 a.m. It very muggy now ahead of the storm and it is 80 degrees right now. If we are even luckier, the slowed speed and the rapidly weakening storm will further decrease the winds. The Big Island and Maui will again be hit for the third time this year with most of the wind and rain. Maui has a lot of bare earth from the brush fires that came at the same time as Lane. That will increase the risk of flooding since there is no vegetation to keep the ground from eroding. I am not expecting to see much of the rain or the wind unti some time tomorrow.

applestar
Mod

It’s 6am but pitch dark still. Days are getting shorter....
Attachments
84A1D3D1-82D9-4351-B717-50A37C5D37B0.jpeg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

AppleStar,

can you tell us the internet service for your screen capture?

I like how concise it is ...

Steve

applestar
Mod

This screenshot is from WunderStation app for accessing Weather Underground stations. I have both Wunderground and WunderStation apps. I like WunderStation better for most use since it lets me rearrange the tiles for each type of report and also has a cool feature to minimize/summarize and maximize/detail the report. In the above, I maximized the “sky conditions”

There are a couple of features like animated past-future radar video and detailed air pollutant reports that are only available on Wunderground, but I might look at those on WeatherBug app. — the reporting sources are different so I might look at both and compare.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Still stupid hot here in S.E. Louisiana. Throw in the humidity and heat index numbers climb into the 105-110 F feels like temperatures, and it's mid September for crying out loud.

I just got back inside from picking 86 pods of okra, several habanero peppers, a few bell peppers and a bit of weeding in areas and I was sweating bullets.

Plus the ground in the garden is still saturated from all the frequent rains we've been getting and not allowing me to pull my rows to get things in the ground for the fall garden. All I can do is wait and hope for about a weeks worth of dry weather and I can get that task done.

applestar
Mod

Autumnal Equinox. I suppose in some areas, the ratio is exactly 12 hrs/12 hrs.... or maybe it will be tomorrow?

...some Fall-ish temperatures in the near forecasts...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The garden plants, including cucumbers, squash, melon vines, tomatoes etc., are going down fast. I really wasn't checking the temperatures in the big veggie garden. The nearest weather underground station there had 3 mornings this week with temperatures below 40°, including a 34°! Kinda glad that I wasn't sitting here watching that thermometer drop at 2:30am on the 17th. Dang, would I have felt it necessary to stir my bones and drive out to turn the sprinklers on?!

No forecast for a below 40° low this week but all we need is a rain to relieve a little of this "moderate drought" and there will be a frost. Doubt if I will do anything about it other than make those preemptive runs to harvest green tomatoes, squash, pumpkins, etc. Better have a couple of days to fill carport ...

Steve
trying to think to check his horizons and not just his backyard

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It rained 4" yesterday, 2" the day before that and another 6" Sunday. 6" inches of rain expected Monday. The bridge is about 15 ft above the dry stream bed, I have seen 4 ft of water going over top the bridge several times. There was no water over the bridge yesterday but might be today.

Temperatures are finally in the normal range it has been 96 degrees most of the month 15 degrees above average. .
Last edited by Gary350 on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

It is a warm 76 degrees with very little wind and it is raining now.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WOW LOOK its the SUN I have not seen the SUN in 9 days. LOL
Attachments
100_1013.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Nice to see the sky.
I can see some sky too. It has been raining almost every night for almost a week and raining off and on during the day. However, the rain is warm and when the sun comes out, it is steamy and muggy. There is barely any wind from the system that is pulling up moisture from the south and blocking the wind.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I never got to walk in the rain this summer. I never got to ride my bicycle in the rain either. I never got to jump in the river or lay down in a stream all summer. Riding my bike in a warm July & August rain is fun especially riding through deep water. I did get rained on a little bit in the garden when it sprinkled a few times. We had a hot dry summer about 1 good hard rain per month for several months. It was 89 today no rain. Sky was loaded with large white clouds. OH wait.....I did go swimming in the lake several times while camping in Alabama in June.
Attachments
100_1548.JPG

imafan26
Mod

It has been cloudy with temps around 84 degrees. It does rain briefly but mostly it just steams off later. It is like being in a sauna all day. Night temperatures are around 70 although it still feels warmer with winds from 7-13 mph. Thanks for the blue skies Gary, it may be awhile before I see that again.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow... I never understand, how your weather could be so different, Gary, 100 miles away from me. September was very hot, but some of the time lots of rain and flash flood warnings. We got a bunch of rain from the very outskirts of Hurricane Florence. We broke the daily rainfall record for September 24 at Chattanooga with 3.41 inches of rain in one day. That added to our very high rainfall total already from having had a very mild wet summer.

(Per US National Weather Service) Chattanooga had average temp of 78 in September, second warmest ever. It has been 143 days since temperatures were in the 50s in Chattanooga. The previous record was 132 days in a row in 1921. Lows are forecast to remain above 60 over the next week, shattering the old record and extending the streak.

So far October has been hot and dry.

I'm having a hard time finding year to date rainfall totals. Anyone know a good site, where you can get weather history observations (not just typical/averages)?

applestar
Mod

Do you use weather underground and weather bug apps? Although these are basically amateur weather hobbyists uploading data from their multi-weather condition readings from their varied gadgets, I find them more reliable than local weather news from any single station because I can see what they are reporting all around me.

Unfortunately nobody has a station in my immediate neighborhood, but I’ve “pinned” the ones are located in nearby communities all around. They jive with the radar map tracking of storm systems that I watch on weatherbug when the storm systems often split as they pass over my house (pinned on the map). So I don’t seem to get as much rainfall as the stations reporting from just a few miles north or south, etc. it’s kind of interesting to note that sometimes, their rain gauges are stuck or maybe haven’t been cleaned/maintained and aren’t reporting, and I guess the gadgets have different capabilities because I noticed one station had a “footnote” that some of their data comes from the local airfield, which then means it’s even further away from my garden.

There is a default “local” setting/station based on name of town or zip code that appears if you don’t specify a specific station. This seems to match the reported “official” weather for my town, and the “current” weather data reported by this setting is sometimes different from the other stations’. Also, at the local TV weather news uses one or the other of these app reports.

And all this is happening in this “flat” NJ within maybe 25 miles of each other. According to a little lecture series I attended concerning the NJ Pine Barrens, Pine Barrens Weather is affected by the ocean to the east and south and the Delaware River to the west, and the massive deep sandy region of the Pine Barrens which alters the surface thermal layer ... and Urban pockets have similar weather changing effect for the same reason.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I wasn't sure if the thermometer would make it to 50° f yesterday. There was morning overcast which kept the temperature from falling to freezing temperatures again. A few sunbreaks in the early afternoon brought the thermometer up to a high of 54° for the day.

If I look at my local forecast from
https://forecast.weather.gov

Check at the top for current conditions there is a heading for "More Information" and "More Local WX" off to the side. Clicking "More Local WX" gives me a list of NOAA stations, some not all that far away. Clicking one of those, I see the current conditions at that station, there near the top of the page:
Current Time: Oct 8 4:19 am PDT
Get Yearly Precip Total (non QA/QC'd data)
Get Water Year Precip Total (non QA/QC'd data)

There is the precipitation for that Weather Service station.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Thanks for the link digiS. Adding it to my obsessive weather scanning sources.... :> :wink:

40°F low this morning. Looking at 37°F low on Thursday morning which I think may bring first frost, considering the 29°F dewpoint....
Attachments
C333103B-F3D5-4E17-9E78-DAF947449E8E.jpeg

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Well, that was short lived. Just when the weather turned cool with low humidity for a couple days, it simply turned out to be a teaser. It is now 85 degrees with 79% humidity for a "feels like" temperature of 97 with 100% chance of rain--------------for even more humidity when it ends. Middle of October and this is STILL going on.

I could only pull 2 rows in my garden before the heat got to me. I had first cleaned out my large storage shed and organized it and thought it a good idea to try to get my rows pulled before it rained and I'd have to wait days for the soil to dry. The heat just beat me down. Guess at pushing 66 in a couple more weeks, I'm just not as tough as I use to be. Taking a break beats a heart attack in the garden every day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Highs mostly in the 60's, lows in the 40's. Brought the house plants in:

The big one in the middle is last year's Christmas poinsettia. It was tiny then!! :)

applestar
Mod

Suffering serious Aches and pains after hauling in all the potted plants in prep for expected frost overnight. :roll:

applestar
Mod

It’s been hovering between 33 and 32°F since 2am. Currently 32°F. I hope I got everything yesterday.....

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

only 42 this morning (was expecting lower)...I need to bring the indoor plants back in too.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Suffering serious Aches and pains after hauling in all the potted plants in prep for expected frost overnight. :roll:
I have a large shed right where my plants are on a slab in front of the double doors. When it looks like we're getting freezing weather, which is rare but does happen, I carry the small plants into the shed and use a dolly to roll the big heavy ones in. Then I turn on my work lights on stands with 500 watt halogen bulbs in them and that keeps the temperature warm enough to keep them from harm.

The ones on the 2nd story back porch get toted into the house and placed on a plastic tarp in the dining room. Again, toting the small and rolling the large. Sure saves the back not picking up those 10-20 gallon pots some of my plants are in.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”