Gary350
Super Green Thumb

2018 What's the weather like where you are?

Both of my outside thermometers say 9 degrees this morning 7:30 am, we have light snow in the yard. We returned home yesterday from a week on Florida beach, it is good we are not on pulling the RV on the highway today.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

29 last night and 25 tonight. Us deep south folks don't like those temperatures. I had to move about 50 potted plants indoors between what was on the 2 porches and the patio. I went to Lowes and bought a hand truck to move some of the larger ones that probably weigh close to 100 lbs. between the pots, soil and plants in them. Getting to long in the tooth to be picking up those big pots and walking 30-40 ft. with them. Getting older ain't for the squeamish. LOL

applestar
Mod

I had a dentist appointment this PM and was undecided whether I wanted it to snow a lot or not... but as morning progressed and it started to snow, I was less and less inclined to venture out. But not unsurprisingly, the dentist cancelled the appointment. Snow snow snow, blowing and blowing. The snowplow came through when there was about 1-2 inches but there is no sign of their hard work now on the solid white-covered street.

Looking in the backyard, for some reason, my compost bin is not covered and doesn’t look frozen. I can’t imagine it’s not frozen solid though... it was 6°F when I woke up yesterday morning, and it’s 25°F now. When I can get out there, I have some lobster carcass to add to the pile. :()

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It’s so cold! With very high winds. As I age, I grow less and less tolerant of the cold.

I’m glad we cut the broccoli. The rest of the plants in my sweet little garden will be water sacks when we thaw from this.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I usually don't mind the cold but when its 1° out and the heat dies in your truck and your working on it with 30mph in the shade... it kinda sucks!

hoping my rosemary makes it.
I have a fluorescent light under here thats on 24/7 by the base of the plant.

6° this morning.

at least my idea on a deicer is working this year.

Ksk
Cool Member

90 days with no measurable moisture. Making me wonder about the fate of “Garden Future.” Last year’s monsoon rains made me look better at gardening than I am.

applestar
Mod

7°F outside on the patio, and 32.2° just outside the laundry room door in the Garage V8 Nursery. But the weather is not done yet — -1° with windchill of -10°F by morning... so I expect the garage to freeze by then. In the past, I have been able to prepare with plastic sheeting covers, etc. but not this time.... :cry:

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Oh noooooooo! Do you have a little space heater you can put out there for a few hours???

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, SQWIB, but I'm not holding out much hope for that rosemary!

We had six nights in a row of temps in the teens. Very unusual here. We have been bringing in the plastic waterer for the chickens over night to keep it from freezing solid and breaking and we have been closing the door to their coop once they are in, to make it a bit less drafty. That means we have to get out first thing in the AM while it is still cold and let them out and give them water. But they seem to be weathering it well.

But tonight is the last of the six. After that we rapidly go from unusually cold to unseasonably warm. Sun 41/31. Mon 40/35. Tues 52/41. Wed 59/50. Thurs 61/53. Historical average would be 48/30.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather sucks, LOL. I am ready for April 20th so I can plant my garden. Temperature was, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 14, 17, 18, 24, 28, rain, light show, high wind, earth quake every day at 4 pm. The sun actually came through the dark gray over case for a whole 15 minutes today & it was warm enough all day not to need a jacket. Wind blew a tree down in the yard, when rain finally stops I guess we will have more firewood. Week before last I was dead for 3 days I think I had the flu. Soon as we have a 3 day window of no rain we are going camping I don't care how cold it is we have plenty of firewood & hot chocolate.

imafan26
Mod

It is 76 degrees right now and it was a beautiful day. It started out around 64 degrees when I got up. Not much wind but the floor was still cold. I heard the East coast is getting hit with some very frigid weather. The news showed cars frozen on the streets and airports cancelling flights because of snow. I am glad I don't have to deal with that. It is plenty cold for me at night as it is.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's dropped more than 20 degrees since I was out earlier today getting groceries no more than 3 hours ago. I didn't think it could get to what the weathermen are predicting for tonight, but now I'm pretty certain it will get there. They are saying mid 20's for the next 2 nights before it warms up a bit.

I don't like this one bit.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

gumbo2176 wrote:I don't like this one bit.
I'm with you gumbo. What you describe is coming right on to us as well, with low in the teens. My bones and muscles respond better to high humidity than cold weather!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

They lied. It got down to 19 last night here in typically mild New Orleans and will be close to that again tonight. My wife is still here since many of the roads are closed due to ice being on them and it is not expected to get above freezing until near 3 p.m. today, then dip back down in a hurry.

It is not nice outside right now for us southern folk. Hats off to the folks up north that deal with this type weather for months at a time.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

We are at 16 degrees right now, with 2 inches of snow! Both temps and snow unusually for us.

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees right now, but very windy so it feels colder. The skies have been dark for most of the day but have not seen any of the forecast rain yet. I hope you are all keeping safe and warm. I am glad I am here and not there.

applestar
Mod

As we were leaving for our dentist appointments yesterday after lunch, ice pellets were falling — enough to freeze onto the front windshield and need to be scraped. All afternoon, it switched to snow and then rain and back again. I was watching it all from the dentist’s chair (they have the chairs positioned to look out of the window). I needed to turn on the rear window defrost elements when we came out. On our way home, the trees and shrubs were all looking wintry beautiful with the white clinging to every twig — the township salted the roads so it hadn’t iced up yet and we were going home ahead of the afternoon traffic so it was a nice drive home....

But now, the sky is clear and THE FULL MOON still high in the western sky IS GORGEOUS! This is worth being up at 4:30AM :D

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Beautiful, applestar! I recall a few ice storms where our birch tree clusters were bent over, crowns to the ground, with the weight of all that glistening ice. No permanent damage to them, but of course, snapped power lines and bridge closures around us.

We are still unseasonably cold, I think. Most in ground crotons and hibiscus here have frozen to the ground. More mature specimens will probably survive, but we should leave the dead leaves and branches in situ until the danger of more freezing is over.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The full Moon is not so high in the hazy western sky at this moment. It's possible to just see it, as more or less a crescent with Earth's shadow adding itself to the Moon's dimensions. Here in the Wild West, we do not quite have the opportunity to see the full eclipse.

Two local high temperature records were tied, recently. One was in Idaho, the other, Washington State - over 50°f.

There have been a few other records this winter, mostly to the west and nearer the Cascades. Those have had to do with rainfall at the lower elevations. In those mountains, there were recent avalanche alerts. When this warmth moved through, one ski resort had 110mph winds at the summit ..!

More normal temperatures are back today but it is yet to be seen if it will be cold enough for snow this week. The recent wind and warmth has taken nearly all the previous snow from my yard!

I was out between the few garden beds here at home and only the top inch or two has thawed. How deep the ground is frozen, I don't know. It has not been a very cold winter.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Ooh at least you got to see the eclipse even a partial one @digitS’ 8)

For those of you who get heavy snowfalls, you might find these interesting — I just collected some links for my own notes:

> In Japan’s Kanazawa Prefecture where they experience heavy snowfall, Kenroku-en Garden is known for using “Snow Support” technique called “Yukitsuri” —

Kenroku-en - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenroku-en

> These pages are in Japanese — you’ll need to use a browser that will translate for you but they are interesting to even just look at the photos

Kenroku-en Yukitsuri — 兼六園雪吊り
https://www.pref.ishikawa.jp/siro-niwa/n ... kituri.htm

Kenroku-en Jan 30, 2018
https://www.siro-niwa.com/_wp/?p=4415

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Weather man says 18 degrees F tonight. Winter usually does not bother me for 1 minute but this winter I am board. As long as I can find things to do I am not board. Every day about 4 pm we have an earth quake. Today I watched the rock drills run and the guy set the dynamite at the construction site on the property behind the house. They set off 100 charges very fast in 1,2,3,4, order all in about 2 seconds. The broken rock came up about 30 ft high and stayed there then the heavy equipment hauled the rock away. I think we better leave the water run all night so water pipes do not freeze. It has been a very long time since we had a winter this cold it warmed up to 29 degrees today. TN usually warms up to 50 sometimes 60 degrees during the day. I have seen 85 degree weather in Feb and 10" of snow last week of March. Some years I can plant tomatoes April 1st but usually April 20th. We have had lots of wind since the first winter storm about Jan 1st, few days ago wind was 25 gusting to 35, today it was probably 20 all day and about 15 to 20 the whole month of Jan. TN wind is always gusty it is almost impossible to fly a kite here, too much wind then not enough wind over and over every day. It rained again last night the dry stream has about 6 ft of water in it today. I broke a tooth this evening eating dinner, darn now I need to have it repaired. I don't mind the dentist I just don't like spending my day doing that.

imafan26
Mod

It has been raining for the past few days off and on. It was cloudy and dark all day, but muggy, and it only started raining a little while ago. More of the same is forecast with possible thunder showers. It is messing up my plans to work in the garden. I will have to wait for the soil to dry up even to be able to work in the compost.

At least the glads are sprouting with the rain and I did use a systemic on the hibiscus and gardenia because they were losing leaves and had ants and sooty mold. They look better now and they got a nice drink from the rain so that did not hurt either.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Right this minute it is 31 degrees. But starting tomorrow the temps are in the 50's to low 60's with night time lows in the 30's to low 40's clear out to the end of the ten day forecast.

Growing season comes up at you fast around here! Since I don't have an indoor seed starting space any more, I didn't get seeds started as early as I probably should have, so now I am feeling like I am already behind.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

We're enjoying some mild temperatures and bright sunny days as of late. Perfect weather for the Mardi Gras parades and the folks to go view them. The coldest night time temperatures between now and Mardi Gras Day on the 13th will be 50 degrees and the high predicted will be 64 and the daytime temperatures will be between 59 and 77. They are predicting a few days of rain, but you never know what's going to happen, especially 4-5 days in advance.

applestar
Mod

It’s 63°F out there right now, which is weird enough, but the forecast high for today says 78°F. That can’t be true..... :shock:

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

AppleStar, there may be difference between what is true and what happens.

The snow won't be going away anytime soon, here.

It's in real-time single digitS' this morning again -- wind chill plays into the picture, too. Yesterday, there were some low temperature records set along the border. It's colder this morning so it may be another record day, but just here and there.

Montana has been dang cold and I see that California has cooled off from very warm temperatures coming up to recent days. On national TV, there are zoo scenes from Portland Oregon with elephants and such in the snow .. :)

And, that's my weather report from the West and here's a forecast: a little more snow for us this weekend :wink: .

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:It’s 63°F out there right now, which is weird enough, but the forecast high for today says 78°F. That can’t be true..... :shock:

We are having above average daily temperatures for the time being. It has been creeping into the low 80's for several days in a row but will go back down to the low to mid 70's for next week. Our nightly temperatures are in the low to mid 60's.

I'm actually running my A/C as I post this since the humidity is pretty silly right now and the house feels muggy despite being 76 inside at the moment.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

72°F Right now 1pm, high is 75°F
  • Snow storm this past Saturday.
  • Been a very wet month, need some sun to dry things up!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Creepy warm! 76 degrees. 20 degrees above normal and three degrees above the previous record for the date. My friends in Cincinnati recently had 82 degrees with crazy amounts of rain and flooding.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Rain, Severe Thunder Storms, Tornadoes warnings, flash flood, no big deal this in TN weather.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

After something like 5 weeks of above normal temperatures, our "more typical" winter weather returned in early February. I can't say that late January was springlike but for a few days, all the snow was gone out of my yard. I even saw a couple of bugs flying around on two different days! Might have been flu bugs ...

Yesterday was the first time that there has been any thawing in several weeks. The snow that had fallen in recent storms was something of a pristine white but had little chance to make puddles. Wind gusts of nearly 50mph blew the moisture on into Montana!

Robins fled this area months ago for warmer locations but a sharp-shinned hawk was around much of yesterday trying his best in all that wind to make lunch out of an English sparrow in my neighbor's spruce trees.

We will see a few more afternoons with above freezing temperatures this week, the forecasters are saying. However, those days will also have snow with, maybe, a little rain mixed in. It's all decidedly un-springlike around here but, at least, there is indoor warmth.

Steve :)

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Air conditioning just can not keep up with removing the humidity from the air. I get an initial whiff of Eau du chien when I get in my car and I haven't had a chien in a few years. Not terribly hot, but I did get out a few very thin voile tops and put away all of my long sleeve T-shirts. Y'all know the yellow burst of color from forsythia up north? Yeah, we don't get that. But we do have tabebuia which is similar yellow, often in tree form, and just about as ephemeral. Maples have already leafed out and the mulberries are about an inch long.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Several days of non stop rain. The stream behind the house is deeper than it was a month ago when I took pictures, it looks like the Colorado river during spring snow melt. Lots of flooding in this area.
Attachments
Fish.jpg

applestar
Mod

Thunder SNOW! I don’t remember this happening more than a few times.... :shock:

applestar
Mod

Well, we started with mixed/frozen rain/snow but big fat flakes have been falling heavily and sticking to everything, including every strand of wire fences. The weight of the accumulation is rearranging my garden, taking down anything that was starting to weaken. Looks like a lot of work ahead .... :?

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I was reading the snowfall numbers for the East Coast storm this morning. It was very widespread although I had been thinking that it would be primarily in northern New England and Canada - not so! That is, unless it is really not close to finished and those areas will take a pounding yet today. Right now, and instead of so far north, some of the heaviest snowfall numbers are in NJ.

Turning to news/news, I suspect that I'm gonna find that this will be effecting a large number of people. The problems for some will be compounded and lingering.

Locally, we have a minor storm coming in within about an hour. Whatever falls as snow will likely melt almost immediately. Mountain snowpack this far north is in real good shape.

Steve

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Ours is kind of all over the place right now, but pleasantly so. Daily highs are ranging between low 60's to upper 70's with nightly lows in the 40's to high 50's. Not much rain in the immediate forecast, but the Mississippi River is fast rising to flood stage from the snow and ice melt farther up north and all the rainfall they have been getting. The river is up a good 5 ft. since this time last week and expected to go up another 6-8 ft. by next week.

Stand on top of the levee and you can see the difference the levee makes in protection of the city. On the street side you can look down the levee and see a nice steady slope of grass to street level. Look on the river side and it's just a short walk to river's edge. Just a few weeks ago when I went out there fishing, I had to walk down the levee, then about 150 ft. through the batture to reach the river's edge, now it is just a handful of steps down the levee and your feet are wet.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Snow thunderstorms. Lol
My kids said what's that noise, I said, thunder.
Internet is down, I'll post some photos later

applestar
Mod

This time around, 7-10 inches.... 11 inches where it drifted, so I guess not that much wind. We’ve had gusty blizzards in the past with 2 inches where wind scoured bare to 30 inches where drifted and piled up.

applestar
Mod

...OT... just now I *thought* I posted, so tapped on the “new posts” linkbutton to see if anything else had been posted while I was writing, and to my surprise, my post didn’t show up! Huh? But I saw it ... I posted it right? ... Where did it go?

...then it occurred to me that I must have PREVIEWED the post, but forgot to SUBMIT.

— not to panic...I know what to do — I hit The BACK ARROW of the browser to the previous screen and YEP, there it is, waiting to be submitted. CLICK! And we’re good.

...sharing my goof, just in case this has happened to you too...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”