Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I Hate Organic & Heirloom Prices

Garlic bulbs are 30 cents each at Walmart but Organic is $8 each and Heirloom is about $8 too.

How do I know seller did not buy a 1 lb bag or garlic bulbs at Walmart $3 for 10 bulbs and is reselling it $8 per bulb.

I refuse to pay stupid prices even if it is real organic or heirloom.

The most important thing is to grow what ever you have organically with no toxic poisons.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I don't get crazy over organic. I do purchase Heirloom seeds for my tomatoes. Application is another consideration. I use a lot of lemon zest and candy lemon rinds. I buy organic for those applications.

Most of the produce sold at the local Farmer's Markets are near organic. No pesticides but maybe commercial plant food. Some really are organic but the small growers don't bother with the ridiculous requirements to get an official organic certification.

Baby Brother has a small greenhouse and grows organically. He sells both plants and produce at the Farmer's Market but does not want to jump through hoops to get the official organic certification.

xtron
Cool Member

when it comes to seeds, it doesn't matter how THEY grew them. what matters is how YOU grow the plants and produce from those seeds. and of course, if you are buying at a market, how that produce was grown.
I don't get too excited growing organic as everything I have grown so far is for my families use. that means if I am willing to use a small amount of low level pesticides to eliminate a pest, it's my family and no one else that will be eating the residue.
when I decide to dip my toes into the local farmers market, I will disclose what, how much, and when I used any chemicals, just so my customers can make informed decisions on their purchase...or not.

applestar
Mod

Although I will buy seeds that are not labeled organic, I prefer to buy seeds that are not treated with chemical fungicides, etc. So when buying from websites that have the option for non-treated or “naturally” treated (or whatever other wording is used) I will opt for those.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Although I will buy seeds that are not labeled organic, I prefer to buy seeds that are not treated with chemical fungicides, etc. So when buying from websites that have the option for non-treated or “naturally” treated (or whatever other wording is used) I will opt for those.
If a seed is not organic the plant that grows in my garden will be organic and the harvest will be organic too.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”