Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Ornamental grass

I love my grasses, but a few grow too high and start to lean/sag by Sept. if I trimmed them before the leaning, to maybe 4-5 feet, will they look chopped up? The blades will obviously lose their tips. Do those tips come back! I am thinking of trying it, but wondered if someone would say DON'T DO IT! If my idea of cutting them back in July is a bad idea, please warn me. Other than that, I will have to cut them down for the winter in Sept. A very early bedtime for them. But better to be gone for the rest of the season, than look ridiculous leaning the way they do.

Sorry, second post from me, one after the other. Wasn't sure I explained it right on the first post....but I'll leave them both up. Can't find a delete button during edit.

Thanks
Rose

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, there isn't a delete button...

No, if you cut off the seed heads, they will not grow back. You can wait and then cut it down or you could consider staking it: Pound a strong stake or length of rebar into the ground in the middle of the grass clump. Wrap a strand of garden twine that matches the grass around the entire clump, about halfway up the stalks. Tie the twine loosely enough so that the grass can move naturally, but tightly enough so that the strands all stand up in one vertical clump.

For next year, they make grow through plant supports. It has legs that push into the ground and then a grid the stems grow through. You have to put it in place while the grass is still small. They come in a variety of sizes/ heights

These grasses tend to fall over, if they have been over-fertilized, encouraging excessively tall growth or if they have gotten too big and need to be divided.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Thank you for many ideas. I have to bring in a landscaper for spring and autumn clean ups. I will let him know of my dilemma and some ideas.

I probably overwater? Everyday, each plant gets individual attention. And do fertilizer every 3 months.
They are in part shade. Am I causing my own problem?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Could be. Over watering and plenty of fertilizer makes them grow more tall and slender. Most ornamental grasses are drought tolerant and will do just fine with no added water if you live in an area that does get some summer rains. Don't baby them!! :)

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Thanks for your help rainbow gardener!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”