TheWaterbug
Greener Thumb

How to route condensation from an A/C system?

I put a small lemon tree (really a bush) in front of my house, and it happens to be right next to the condensation drain from my air conditioning system. So I re-routed the drain pipe so it fed directly into the tree's well. I figured it would be a good match, since I'll get condensation when it's really hot and the A/C is running most often.

Then I found out that I can get up to gallon per hour of condensation :shock: , which is way too much for one little tree. So I also need a way to use this source to water other plants in the vicinity. I'm not sure if I can use a classic drip-watering system (as I use for my garden) because this water source has no pressure and very low flow. It's a drip or dribble when it's running, but it will run up to 15 hours a day when it's really hot outside.

Does anyone have ideas for how to take a slow drip and route it evenly to 8-10 different planting sites, without investing hundreds of dollars?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

The only thing I can come up with is to run more of the pipe you are currently using along the ground by your garden and drill holes in the drain line along the way. Start with a very small one closest to the source and gradually increase the size of the holes along the way, and hopefully the water will be enough to pass the holes along the length of the tube and drip where needed.

xtron
Cool Member

my central air condensate drain is into my gutter. this is good because I have a rain water harvest barrel it runs into.
from there it is pumped into one of 4 300 gallon IBC totes that sit on the high side of my garden by a sump pump and garden hose. cheap, easy, and effective. gravity powers the irrigation, which is spot applied by hand with another garden hose.

if your garden is flat you may want to consider a 55 gallon barrel on a raised stand...maybe 2 or 3. a couple of feet elevation should give enough pressure for a drip system...trial and error will tell. some shipping pallets and a couple of tee posts should do the trick, for experimentation purposes.

I have fallen in love with a grid square garden method. this is 4X4 squares with 2 foot walkways between. the squares are planted using either square foot methods, or dense planting..as many as you can cram into the space.
next year I am going to raise the WALKWAYS an inch or two and leveling the squares(my garden is on a slope) in order to allow flood irrigation. just drop the hose into the square and let her run until the square is flooded, then move on.

ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Would a bucket with a float valve work?

Get as much elevation as you can.
Install the valve and outlet at the bottom.
Use a float to open the valve when the bucket gets to a certain level of full.
Run the output into drip lines.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”