ID jit
Green Thumb
Location: SE New England: zone twilight or 5b... hard for me to tell some days.

Who Wants to Play More Rounds of "NAME THAT BUG" ?

I have no clue how to look up bugs.
Location is SE MA

Bug 1
Have a bunch of Chernobyl sized Japanese Beetle looking things: Maybe 2" long or so, mostly metallic brown and metallic green. They are actually rather stunning looking. Pretty sure they are not doing my strawberry plants any good. Anyhow, they are BIG, air rifle targets at 20' kind of big. They are slow and very inaccurate flyers. If you used a magnifying lens, they could star in a "B" science fiction movie. What are they and what do I get rid of them so they won't be coming back?

Bug 2
These are huge too. Grubs I find in my compost. They are all white except for a single black eye up front. Pretty sure they borrow too. I were 2xl gloves and these grubs are the size of my thumb. They kind of look like a rain forest delicacy which should be served on a wet banana leaf or something. Should I be squashing them or are they something weird like those bird sized moon moths?

Thanks much.

imafan26
Mod

Pictures would help. The first one does sound like Japanese beetles.

applestar
Mod

Is it same as rainbowgardener' Green June Beetle?

Subject: Creature Feature
rainbowgardener wrote:I'm confused though. Look this thing up and I see it called June beetle or June bug.

What I always called June bug is this one:

You can't tell from the picture, but it is much smaller, the same size about as the Japanese beetle.

When I did a google image search on June bug, both that one and the one I have now came up:

This is a quote from the page that the picture came from:

June Bugs are emerging as summer's warmth is finally upon us. The green June beetle, only one of some 300 species of scarab beetles found in Southern California, flashes a metallic green underbelly as its buzzes about erratically. The mature scarabs flying about have spent at least a year underground in larval form munching at the roots of lawns or your favorite ornamental plants.

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/weblogs/o ... -emerging/#

uses June Bug and green June beetle interchangeably.

This guy is WAY bigger than the little brown ones. And all of a sudden from seeing the first one, I have a swarm of them! The air is full of them! I have never seen anything like it... I think that is goodbye garden as they are leaf chewers!

ID jit
Green Thumb

Thanks much.

Green June Beetle, Cotinus nitida, is the best candidate so far, and what I came up with, but the descriptions indicate they are smaller than what I have and more green and less copper/brown, but everything else fits.

https://www.insectidentification.org/ins ... une-Beetle

June Bugs I know are black and nocturnal for the most part, well they fly around at night and bounce of window screens. Am sure there are a bunch of bugs that I generically refer to as "June Bugs". Do know that there are several fly patterns for them for both trout and bass.

They are most definitely not Japanese beetles. These are an easy 2 Japanese beetles wide and 4 or 5 Japanese beetles long and 2 or 3 Japanese beetles tall. Much different body shape too, long and oblique instead of round.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The green June beetle is definitely bigger than Japanese beetle, but more like two JB's long than the giant thing you are describing. I wouldn't want to run in to that one!

ID jit
Green Thumb

ID jit wrote: ... they could star in a "B" science fiction movie. What are they and what do I get rid of them so they won't be coming back?
I am far from bug phobic.... have been collecting naturals, using them as guides to tie flies pretty much my whole life, and these get a back off reflex from me, like big golden yellow stonefly nymphs, hexagenia nymphs, big hellgrammites and giant stage beetles Lucanus elaphus.

ID jit
Green Thumb

Found another "green june bug" in the summer squash this time, not a Green June Beetle, Cotinus nitida: 'normal' june bug size, green metallic head, matte-ish tan/ light brown wing case.

Going to assume that Cotinus nitida is similar to Salmo trutta and Salmo solar and has an infinite number of Greek / Latin descriptives following the Genus species.

Do have a net and jar ready for the Chernobyl ones. Really want to know what they are because the only thing I could find on the web that fit was an inhabitant of Eastern Australia, so they are just a bit unlikely.

Have checked for egg deposits under the leaves and didn't find any. I guess I just watch the leaves. Sort of wondering if I should milky spore the strawberry bed and when to do it.

Anything else I should be doing or watching for?

applestar
Mod

Look on your nectar flowers for scary-looking large, blue-black, narrow waisted wasps. Right now, I'm seeing them on Summer Sweet and Spice bush flowers. Soon, when more mints are blooming they will be all over those flowers too. These wasps hover around and somehow detect grubs and oviposit on them through the soil.

ID jit
Green Thumb

Nectar flowers..... aka plants that attract humming bird and those pretty black and blue butterflies? Have those, so I probably have the wasps. Will keep an eye out for them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

When I lived in Illinois this brown color bug was our June bug. I arrived about 1st or 2nd week of June.

When I moved to Tennessee this Green bug is what everyone calls a June bug. It arrived about July 4th.

When I lived in Michigan this Brown bug was our June bug it arrived about 1st week of August.

When I lived in Arizona there are very few bugs and NO June bugs.

There were none of those GREEN bugs in Illinois or Michigan.

There are none of those BROWN bugs in Tennessee.

YOUR geographical location determines what your June bug looks like. LOL

jeff84

when we were kids we tied lengths of thread around the leg or between the abdomen and thorax of green june beetles (we called them june bugs) and flew them around like kites. something I got to share with my 6 year old daughter this summer.

there coloration can vary greatly. from almost solid green to dark green almost black to a golden bronze color.

the little brown beetles we just call brown beetles. I was surprised to find out some people refer to them as june bugs

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”