imafan26
Mod

It may be getting too hot to plant

I planted seeds the last two months. I may have had some problem with the soil mix the first time because nothing germinated. I planted more seeds earlier this month. I did get most of the plants to germinate but some did not and some only germinated a few seeds. It may just be getting to hot and I think the seeds are trying to tell me something.

The weeds on the other hand don't seem to have a problem.

At least the grass is dormant now, so even when it rains it isn't growing as fast.

I know that the nasturtiums and glads lay dormant in my soil for a long time. The nasturtiums come up every year from last years seeds. They always go dormant in summer. The glads pretty much do the same thing. This is the first year I have had this much problems getting seeds to grow. For now, I may have to concentrate on divisions and try to see what may have potential for cuttings.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

We got too hot too fast on the Atlantic coast of Florida, too. My native mint is already going dormant, probably beginning of June. Even basils are dragging. Hibiscus is pretty happy though.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Heat is pretty much the reason my garden is now lying dormant. I planted several things very early in the spring and they produced just fine, but once the heat arrived, it all went downhill very fast. Combine the heat with all the rainfall we've been getting and it was a recipe for disaster between root rot and fungal issues, then the mild winter we had didn't really kill off a lot of garden pests and they are out with a vengeance.

So my solution was to remove all plants except for a few hot pepper plants I have and let it just sit there until I plant my fall/winter garden.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Oh, you know what crop is growing really well? Mung beans for sprouts indoors. I rinse a couple of times daily and keep them in or near a bright window and have fresh sprouts in four days. It might be the length of daylight that is causing them to grow faster than usual. I never really grew them in the summer before. Some of them get a little green or a little purple and may have first leaves just peeking out, also something that didn't usually happen before a week in winter.

Oh, and powdery mildew! Bumper crop.

imafan26
Mod

Right now, the beetles are starting to chew things up but not so bad, but the mites are doing a number on the peppers and eggplant. I had to top the eggplant twice already.

imafan26
Mod

I got some kale, eggplant and a few peppers to germinate. Do you think beans. squash, and cucumbers will still germinate? The day temps are still in the mid 80's, even though it feels hotter with light winds. My day/nite temperature range is 75/88 degrees, humidity around 88%. It feels hotter because it is steamy but the humidity actually keeps the temperatures down. I have maybe a few weeks before it hits 90.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”