robynznest
Newly Registered

New to this site and new to Brugs, Datura and Tropical plant

Hello, I'm new here and new to these amazing plants. I got my first brugs last year, noids, but they bloomed and the smell was unbelievable. I was able to start a Black Currant Swirl from seed and again I was amazed at the bloom and fragrance.

Now I am going to try tropical plants, most will have to be brought in for the winter, but still want to try something.

What does everyone else grow? :?:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I try to grow these types of tropical plants but so far I have only managed to kill them. Actually, I am becoming quite expert at killing them. I know a lot about how "not" to grow them. Does this count for anything? I am going to try another Brug this year as well as a few other tropical plants that I would be able to use on my patio over summer.

robynznest
Newly Registered

Believe me I have killed more than just a few. I was really surprised I had any that grew and bloomed.

I haven one elephant ear, I'm trying to grow without killing it. Other than some cannas and a grocery store bought canna, that is the extent of my tropicals. Not much but it is a start.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ohhhh, an Elephant Ear. I killed one of those too.

If I listed everything I've killed in the tropical plant department you'd laugh yourself silly and be calling out to your husband to read this crazy woman's arm length dead list to make yourself look like a model gardener.

To my credit, I have some rain lilies that haven't gone to plant heaven on me yet and I've got a Plumeria clinging to life in the kitchen. I do well with some Hoya, many orchids, and most carnivorous plants.

robynznest
Newly Registered

:lol:

Truthfully the carnivorus plants I "had" looked like something ate them. I just keep trying. I have no rain lilies, orchids or Hoya, so I haven't killed any of them, lucky for them, huh.

One day I will have tropicals that survive my attemps. I just have to follow the right directions from gardeners who have been there and done that.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”