Dom Nizza

Some Schools Teach Gardening In Facilities Like This One

Some Middle Schools now have their own facilities to teach Gardening to Children and include Senior Citizens as teachers and students. Protected areas with sectioned off raised beds like this works for children and Seniors alike.

[img]https://www.mycommunity.com/uploads/22270_1.jpg[/img]

Raised Beds.. (built with adult help) and each section assigned to a student group. Some have accomodations like this for wheelchair use.

[img]https://www.mycommunity.com/uploads/22270_5.jpg[/img]

Some on tiled and wood chips ground level and others on tables for wheelchair use. A great teaching environment, don't you think? .. More designs coming.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, years ago, I saw a program on the food network where some elementary school in the States had the kids out working in a school vegetable garden growing a plethora of vegetables and fruits. Half the kids worked in the garden and the other half worked in a kitchen using the produce to make very healthy lunches for the school. It was a novel idea. I think that more schools should do that.

People are so disjunct from the land these days and so enamoured with the supermarket that we have lost touch with the simple pleasures of working in the soil and growing out own food which is so flavourful and full of nutrients.

There is nothing better than pulling a carrot from the soil and munching it down.

webmaster
Site Admin

The original program started out in Berkeley, California by Alice Waters. One can imagine how out of touch urban kids can be from where food comes from, and this goes a long way to teaching them. What they do is not just farming, but it branches out into teaching them about biology and other sciences.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Great Idea.... some urban children don't even know where beef and chicken comes from. They think it comes under cellophane and that's it. I grew up on a farm and think that every child should but, this is the next best thing.

The school on thte show I watched didn't have the nicely manicured look as above, they basically had a plot of land with some arbours and just plants. It was a really, really neat idea. I'd really like to see this take hold across North America.

Dom Nizza

webmaster wrote:The original program started out in Berkeley, California by Alice Waters. One can imagine how out of touch urban kids can be from where food comes from, and this goes a long way to teaching them. What they do is not just farming, but it branches out into teaching them about biology and other sciences.
Learning "how" can become the start of a professional career.. in science and more. In the meantime, hee is another photo of the raised beds beginning to show some action.

[img]https://www.mycommunity.com/uploads/22270_4.jpg[/img]

An exciting time, when things reallly begin to grow.. By the way all this is fenced in to protect from roving deer and other culprits... 8) ... 8)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”