SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Garden pest help needed

I was looking for some help on this matter, I have been trying to grow Broccoli and the plants are being eaten to oblivion.
I have never had a problem like this before, either I have been very lucky, or I have learned so much more on this forum that I have noticed the problem.

I have quite a few infestations of aphids that are doing slight damage, I do see lacewings trying to help out but are few and far between.

I lost a pepper plant that looks like it was lunch for an animal over the course of a few weeks, originally I was thinking squirrel. I went out last night with a flashlight and saw a ton of slugs, most were about 1/4" - 3/8" long I couldn't tell if they were tearing up the plants until I saw about 30 or so on a three inch high marigold, when I shook the marigold it literally fell apart.
It has been a very wet month too!

Now I picked up some Neem oil to try that for the aphids but have a few questions about the neem oil and a few questions on slug control.

Should I add anything to the Neem oil like beer or soap or just stick to the directions? The product is "Southern Ag Triple-Action Neem Oil"
2nd question, how or when is the best time to spray the Neem oil, taking into consideration not wanting to harm beneficials?

Now back to the slugs, other than manual removal, what is the best way (or any way) to get rid of these guys. I placed some ashes in one end of the garden and it seems to help, I am out of ashes though, lol.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi SQWIB,

I live in South Louisiana. Slugs are my Nemesis. My tried and true solution is to set shallow pans filled with cheap beer throughout the garden. I have 2 4'x4' waist height boxes. 1 pan in each box controls the slugs and snails. They die HAPPY! :-()

When I had 5 boxes on the ground I used a pan of beer in each box and surrounded each plant with a 2" border of crushed egg shells.

The pans of beer are really the best pest trap for slugs.

Cheap dates that die happy!

Good luck

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Even without seeing it, I would guess the damage to your broccoli is slugs. Aphids don't eat holes in things, slugs do.

Neem oil is not effective against slugs. which are not insects. Elizabeth swears by the beer traps, but they have never worked very well for me. You will have to try it and see if your slugs like beer more than mine do... What does work for me is diatomaceous earth sprinkled over everything. Also as a trap, you can lay a board flat on the ground. Come back the next day in the heat of the day and a lot of your slugs will be huddled up in its shade.

Otherwise, go out at night with a flashlight and a bowl of well salted water and hand pick them.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Thanks guys.

Yes I'm aware that the Neem oil is for insects.

What's odd is the infestation is only one half of the bed and the beds are attached. I did dump some ash in the bed to the left so that may have helped.

I will be doing a large cook this weekend on my pit/smoker and firepit so I will have more ash to put out.

Last night I tried the beer traps but needed to pick up some beer.

I put four slug traps in the 10' bed. After I set up the slug traps I sprayed all the plants with Neem Oil.
Note the marigold plant bottom right.

You can see my sad broccoli in this photo

I checked the beds last night and the slugs seemed to have disappeared. I did see a few slugs in one of the traps.

applestar
Mod

Start checking for cabbage white eggs and caterpillars, too. Eggs are creamy white pointed/barrel-shaped. You can squish or rub them off the leaves. If significant, you may want to use Bt, though I guess neem works on them, too.

I've given up growing any brassica and Asian mustard greens in the open. I may protect kale this year, too -- for some reason, I don't seem to have as many volunteers... or maybe I should jut go around scattering more of the collected seeds from last year. :P

Haha love the keg and case shot of the beer. -- you sure you got 'nuff?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I always plant a double row of brassicas and other greens, with T-tape down the middle, all started indoors just a few weeks early, then I immediately cover them with light Agribon. This is mainly to stop rabbits, and also stops a lot of flying pests. BUT....before planting I sprinkle sluggo along the entire row, since they are the main pest, once they are covered (as well as when they aren't covered), and once they are covered, it is hard to tell if they are there, without uncovering.

I just uncovered my row, after about 5 weeks, and only found a few holes in some of the chard.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”