TheLorax
Greener Thumb

In defense of the many knowledgeable and progressive hands-on Master Gardeners out there who really do truly care about the counties they serve, I'd have to say it's so sad when a few bad apples spoil the bunch. There are considerably more "egoless" MGs who aren't enamored with their titles than those who are.

Quietly Awesome
Cool Member

I have had alot of people ask me, if I am a MG.
My DH told me to tell the next person that asks... "My husband baits alot of fishing hooks... does that make him a Master ..........?" :D

imagardener2

Quietly Awesome wrote:"My husband baits alot of fishing hooks... does that make him a Master ..........?" :D
Um, only if he's been to a class for it and can show a certificate of completion. [img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/laughing.gif[/img]

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ohhh my imagardener2! I looooooooove your new signature!

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Welll, in defense of the master gardeners and advanced master gardeners I know, they're some of the most "down-to-earth" folks I know. I'm also lucky to live near a place called Michigan School of Gardening. They offer four basic courses in soil, pests, botany, and something else I haven't taken yet and can't remember :oops: ; as well as courses for the hobby gardener and those looking to make it a business, I.e. design, contracts, pricing, various courses on perennials, annuals, trees/shrubs, and just about anything one can think of. They offer no degrees--it was not founded as that type of school; although they do offer certificates that involve going out with the pros and completing a hands-on project. I pop in occasionally when I can afford to and pick up a class.
I realise folks are all different, but I guess the MG's I know completed the programs because they thirsted for the knowledge offered, and the foundation laid for future gardening enjoyment. They like to know the whys and wherefores of this gardening stuff. Fortunately, I haven't run into the "puff adders" of that world.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Well, boy, this makes me feel silly. Since I just did my final 50 hours of volunteer work for my Master Gardener certification. And as another person stated this is done with the premise you will be willing to do volunteer work. It has nothing to do with being a "Master" in the education department.

But most of my counterparts are highly experienced hands on old school of hard knocks kind of gardeners who know from their experience what they are doing. The majority are all organic gardeners and have been doing this for longer than it's been a hot new "green" deal.

Just because you have the title does not mean you are an "expert". And I think that also should apply to all those 'real" degreed types as well. Everybody makes mistakes, to lump everyone into a category because you had a bad experience with an individual does not mean others are not knowledgable. Those that are in it for the ego boo are on their own, that's not what it's all about. This is designed as an program to help provide information and education about gardening to the public. It allows a vehicle and point of contact where John Q Public can tap into much of the various states databases on all types of crop controls etc that have been funded with our tax dollars.

Gardening is my passion and there are plenty of others out there who want to share their passion and their knowledge and have chosen to use this venue to do it. I resent your suggestion that we are all in it for the "title".

EarthFirstNatives

I took the MG program in NJ through Rutgers University, and I can tell you its no 40 hours here. It was a full semester, 3 hours a week from Jan - June, then you do an 80 hour internship before you can become certified. They give you a ot of handouts to take home and read and do the quizes during the wek and you have a final; at the end. Attendance, quizes and final are all part of your grade. But it is a great learning experience if you have the opportunity to take it. I took it because I wanted to improve my skills as I was opening a native plant nursery. There is also a offshoot to that program called Environmental Stewardship, which I just completed two weeks ago, and have t o say it is another very worthwhile program. Some of the info is covered in both classes and we had 6 MGs in our class. I highly recommend both

Raven

praying mantis
Cool Member

This definitely makes me want seek out courses that could expand my knowledge. I volunteer at my local food cooperative and have learned alot about produce. I volunteer at my local craft center and have more skills and friends than you can shake a leg at. Actually, I take my crafting very seriously and find this resource life essential.

About an hour ago, I joined the California Native Plant Society and plan to checkout the local arboretum volunteers. The arboretum has a training course with a considerable time commitment and continued time commitment as a volunteer. I am fairly certain this will be more than I can offer. I will continue to look for other opportunities. Mostly, I talk about gardening to everyone and see if anyone bites.

I have already met several Master Gardeners at fairs and farmer's markets. I listen and weigh what I hear relative to my own observations and materials. Sometimes, I use the additional information and sometimes I do whatever I want but with more confidence. I have no difficulty making my own decisions.

I feel this was a good discussion loaded with useful information.
thanks

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

There's another program out there becoming more readily available-
The Master Naturalist

It's a tad bit more of a time commitment than the Master Gardener program although I don't believe one is required to take the next step by committing to volunteer at an extension office and fulfilling service hours. Might be a great way to expand one's knowledge and there is a greater demand for people with this skill set these days given the growing interest in native plants.

Both programs are really great.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”