Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Enviro-friendly water-protective treatment?

What affordable, non-toxic waterproofing coatings or DIY treatments are there for coating wood, that could be considered environmentally friendly? (Having built a small plywood boat I'm a fan of epoxy, but I shouldn't even whisper that! :)) The question arises for me in the context of container & raised bed gardening, wood seedling trays, growing boxes etcetera. I'm sure there are many non-gardening pursuits where the question arises too. Who has thoughts & suggestions?

applestar
Mod

I don't know if this counts as an answer, but I think first step is choosing your wood. Start out with resistant ones -- I guess most typical ones are cedar (but there are different kinds of cedar... ATM I can't remember which one is strongest without surface treatment... is it white cedar?), Douglas fir, locust....

...in Japan, they use a kind of juniper for wooden bathtubs and laundry tubs, bath seats and benches.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Shellac is a natural wood finisher and sealer. It is a resin produced by the Coccus lacca (lac beetle), that is harvested from trees in Southeast Asia. It is so non-toxic it is used in foods (the shiny finish on grocery store produce) and cosmetics (e.g. hairspray).

applestar
Mod

I don't know how well they work for wood in direct contact with soil, but two old standards are boiled linseed oil and beeswax. Both are used individually or heated and blended together and by applying to heated wood and rubbing in.

...speaking of heating, a wood finishing technique I once learned for pine wood was scorching it by burning the surface and then wire-brushing the burned soft wood between the grains.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Shellac and boiled linseed oil are DEFINITELY not waterproof wood finishes, even on indoor furniture. There really aren't any non-toxic, long lasting outdoor finishes, that would seal and protect the wood for many years, esp. in contact with soil. And even things like epoxy or marine varnish that form a seal, run into problems with expansion and contraction of the wood. This is why stains, that soak into the wood, last lonher, though this still would not protect well in contact with soil. White oak, white cedar, and cypress are good woods to use for outdoor projects (red oak and red cedar - the ones usually found in Home Depot and Lowe's - not so good).

imafan26
Mod

Most modern treated lumber is safe. None of them use arsenic any more. CCQ treated wood is approved by the EPA.

That being said, wood rots and termites love wet wood in the soil, so I use hollow tile. It requires few skillsor tools and while concrete can leach, my soil is acidic and it has not been a problem for the twenty years it has been in my garden.

https://extension.oregonstate.edu/questi ... eated-safe

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”