imagardener2

Nice New Look

I like the new look! I especially like the way the header picture changes with a reloaded or new page. :D

And thanks for opening up the profile area, too!! [img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/Flowers.gif[/img]

alisios

ditto! Nice move!

ps - I'd like to link to an off site avatar image though... :cry:

imagardener2

I'd like to link to an off site avatar image though... :cry:
Oooo, I second that! [img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/waving.gif[/img]

webmaster
Site Admin

Hi,
Yes, yes, I'm working on the avatar thing. It keeps blowing up on me, not sure why.

I've been tweaking this template all day long to remove superfluous fluff to make it as focused on the discussion as possible. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

>>>I especially like the way the header picture changes

Thanks for noticing!

One cool thing I added about a minute ago is to resize all images so they fit within the page instead of blowing up the template. Now you can post your images without worrying if they're too big. Then just click on the pic to see the super-humongo original.

:D

imagardener2

webmaster wrote:I've been tweaking this template all day long to remove superfluous fluff to make it as focused on the discussion as possible.

One cool thing I added about a minute ago is to resize all images so they fit within the page instead of blowing up the template. Now you can post your images without worrying if they're too big.
________________________[img]https://geocities.com/d_m_g_s/emoticons/Party2.gif[/img]

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Gee, I leave for a few days and look what you've done w/the place! I almost didn't recognize it--thought maybe I'd been hijacked. Too much time on your hands, Webmaster? Just kidding. Tres moderne! Congrats, on all the technical stuff, (which I don't understand but it sounds very useful...ahem), too.
Happy Gardening.

Quietly Awesome
Cool Member

Well, put the fire out on that avatar thingy!!! :P
I love the new look also.
Keep up the good work WM!

alisios

Jess
Greener Thumb

wingdesigner wrote:Gee, I leave for a few days and look what you've done w/the place!
My thoughts exactly!! Wow! Bit of a change then WM. How very bright and cheerful. Love it! Must go find me an avatar :D :D :D

Jess
Greener Thumb

Oh :? Don't like that one, came out a bit fuzzy. Back in a minute :lol:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

:shock: eeek, Jess! (ahem) Surely one w/such a vast encyclopaedic knowledge of horticultural species can do better than a blue bug-eyed frog? How about a nice nepetea, or a racy ranunculus...? (Ohh, I am so gonna get slammed for this...) Just kidding, Jess, don't beat me up too badly, OK? Pleeeze?

Gonna run and hide in the snow cave, now...

Wing

Jess
Greener Thumb

wingdesigner wrote::shock: eeek, Jess! (ahem) Surely one w/such a vast encyclopaedic knowledge of horticultural species can do better than a blue bug-eyed frog? How about a nice nepetea, or a racy ranunculus...? (Ohh, I am so gonna get slammed for this...) Just kidding, Jess, don't beat me up too badly, OK? Pleeeze?

Gonna run and hide in the snow cave, now...

Wing
LOL!! I looked for flower pictures and all things pretty but this liddle bug just made me laugh so much I had to use it.
Thankyou for the compliment btw. :D
You can come out of the cave now! :twisted: :lol:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Ooops, that's a bug? Must go get my glasses. I got the "bug-eyed" part right, anyway. (Peeking out of cave to make sure I'm not gonna get hit w/a snowball or something.)
OK, 'puter peeps, is there a general "pick list" from which I might choose an avatar? It would be a first for me and I'll probably screw it up royally, but I'm feeling adventuresome. adventurous. whatever.

Hey, does this mean we can add a signature line, too?

Happy Gardening,
Wingdesigner

Jess
Greener Thumb

I just typed in avatar pictures and loads of sites came up. I did try using one of my own pictures first but couldn't get it small enough for this site. (that was the one that went fuzzy).
Just choose a picture from one of the sites copy it to your hard drive resize it and then click on browse in your profile and download it...Bet thats as clear as mud!

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Right. Clear as...yep, mud. Resize it to what by what?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

wingdesigner,

Just to muddy the waters a little more.

For those of you who are wondering how to easily resize a picture so that it falls within the forum guidelines for avatars this should help. The limits are 80 X 80 pixels and a file size of less than 6K.. If you do not already have it go to [url=https://www.irfanview.com/]Irfanview[/url] and download the current version of the software. It is free and is an excellent tool to view and re-size photos. The following instructions apply to that software only.

STEP 1 Create a square image without any unwanted portions.

A. To get the most from the limited space available it is best to crop any unwanted portions of the image. Since the limit is 80 X 80 you will probably want to crop your picture to a square shape.

B. Locate the image that you wish to set as your avatar.

C. Open the image with Irfanview and click EDIT then CREATE CUSTOM CROP SELECTION. A dialog box appears.

D. Ensure that the width and height dimensions (upper right quadrent of the dialog box) are set to a square dimension that is also large enough to include the relevant portion of the image. The image can be larger than 80 X 80 for now, just make sure that it includes the portion you want and that it is square.

E. Click APPLY TO IMAGE. The crop selection box can now be moved with the right mouse button. If it is too big or too small go back and resize the crop selection box.

F. Once you are satisfied with your selection click EDIT then CROP SELECTION. The image should now be as you wish it to appear on the forum except that it may be larger.

STEP 2 Resize the image.

A. If necessary resize the image by clicking IMAGE then RESIZE/RESAMPLE and change the size to 80 X 80. Click OK

STEP 3 Adjust file size and save the image.

A. Now save the Image by clicking FILE then SAVE AS. Two dialog boxes appear, the usual Windows dialog and a secondary one from Irfanview. In the first box select a format, JPG/JPEG works. Also, ensure that you choose a new name and/or location or you will lose the original image.

B. In the secondary dialog box un-check the boxes that includes image data in the new file, it is not necessary for an avatar and makes for a larger file.

C. Click SAVE in the primary dialog box.

D. Locate the new image on your computer, right click and select PROPERTIES to check that the image is below 6K, if it is you are done.

E. If the image is too large open it again and go back to step A and in the secondary dialog box adjust the quality slider to create a smaller image. You may find it necessary to repeat this until you zero in on the correct quality setting.

If this is all too much for you just post a link to your picture and I'll try to help.

Norm

webmaster
Site Admin

And me too!

:)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Thanks guys. Brain fuzzed out on step three, so will have to try to run the two windows side-by-side. WM would love to add signature to my line. The lazier I can be, the better. 'Sides, you all know what it would be, anyway.
Happy Gardening,
Wing

webmaster
Site Admin

Pssst... Keep this under your hat. I enabled signatures. Hopefully we won't see them abused... again. :oops: 8)

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

:D Yes, let's build a nice healthy gardening community here!

imagardener2

Oops! I didn't see the 2nd page.....

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”