Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: what are you eating from your garden today 2017

Tomatoes, cantaloupe, corn, beans, squash, potatoes, onions, garlic. .

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Made an "extra vegetable fried rice" recipe with brown rice, with cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, green peppers from my garden.

benshawlerd
Newly Registered

Pulling out some lettuce today...woohoo!

Got my instructions and planting dates from www.growmigo.com, very accurate recommendations.

Waiting for tomatoes to ripen...

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The cherry tomatoes are nice and becoming plentiful. The larger varieties have the "weird ones," down in the center of the plants. Only one or two good enough to slice and use the whole tomato.

The very first ears of corn ... and a little jumping the gun on those ;). Maybe, there will be some more mature, this morning.

Buckets of potatoes carried out and washed. Probably not a good idea to wash but they have to be carried across carpet and down to the basement ... where it isn't especially cool with near record heat!

The turnip greens are coming out of recovery from the spring flea beetle attacks. I hadn't really anticipated them as a summer green but haven't grown turnips since the seventies! They are good :).

Green Beans, Snap Beans, String Beans, Haricot Beans, Phaseolus vulgaris ...!

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Made an "extra vegetable fried rice" recipe with brown rice, with cabbage, tomatoes, green beans, green peppers from my garden.
Nothing new since then, but I am busy processing stuff. Canned salsa and tomato sauce. Dried a whole bunch of herbs (oregano, tarragon, spearmint, rosemary, lemon balm, sage, etc). Made purple basil pesto and purple basil simple syrup. Usually I make basil jelly (green and purple), but I got so carried away making jelly last year, that I still have plenty left, even after giving a bunch away.

applestar
Mod

-- Dwarf Blazing Beauty (orange), The Witz (yellow), Korean Cucumber, one of the red leaf lettuces, Polish bacon and rye bread. Safflower mayo.... yum. :D

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

You all make me HUNGRY :!:

:>

Beautiful harvest one and all :!:

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

My favorite end of season feast was fried green tomatoes. I had not eaten good fried green tomatoes in years.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made a pot of garden chili yesterday evening for dinner. Garlic, onion, dices with the meat with herbs & spices. Enough tomatoes in the blender for 3 pints of liquid. Bring beans & tomatoes to a boil with meat and spices it is ready to eat. Everything is from the garden except for meat and green beans. Sometimes we put corn in chili but not this time. We usually use red beans but not this time. I think I got a little to much oregano in there fresh picked herbs have a lot more flavor than dried herbs.

I am getting ready to make dinner rolls for dinner.

applestar
Mod

I made pumpkin-coconut cream custard with some of that roasted TKK cross pumpkin. Sooo yummy! :()

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mixed green salad with cranberries, almonds, feta cheese AND apples from our own tree! :) They are wonderful!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Now I've got it! Fresh corn, ripe tomatoes, crisp cucumbers, and sweet melons!

There are potatoes and onions and shallots and 3 types of kale to choose from for today's soup. Green beans and chard and turnip greens continue. The peppers and eggplants have just begun. But, we enjoyed the first Goddess cantaloupe & Diplomat galia melons, Friday. There won't be any shortage of these and the others for weeks.

Did I tell you that it looks like it will be an okay melon year?. Yay!

Steve

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Dinner tonight was a rice and veggie casserole that had tomatoes, onions, carrots, green and hot peppers, dill seed and herbs from the garden and the green salad with apples from our own tree (the one mentioned above, I made it again because it is really good and we have lots of apples)!

applestar
Mod

Subject: Applestar's 2016 Garden
applestar wrote: - I harvested a nearly mature regular lambs quarters from the HBR -- I should have taken a photo... It was towering OVER the tallest indeterminate tomatoes so approximately 7-8 feet tall? I only cut off the shoots with immature seedheads, then left the remaining stalk in the path to be trampled. I also harvested some from Tree Spinach in the SF&H. These are good when washed well and then allowed to dry, then pulled off and mixed into pot of cooked rice or soup so that the hot food will 'cook" them a bit. Nutty. If left too late, chaff will be too hard and inedible or too much fiber, though may work still in hot cooked whole grain cereal or baked goods where the texture still works with the expected mouthfeel. (They will also start to scatter gazillions of seeds. I want them to re-seed but in manageable amounts. I do leave some stalks growing to mature the remaining seeds for the birds -- finches LOVE these, and I love seeing the Goldfinches along with the more drab house finches, and the rare visits from kinglets and redpolls.)
I did this again -- big bunches of top 2 feet or so with immature seedheads cut from 5 foot plants.

Easiest to process outside, with a heavy pot on the patio table, I pulled the washed lambsquarters through my closed fist/between fingers and collected as much of the tender immature seeds and seedhead sprigs as I was willing to bother with, then took the pot inside and added some butter, salt and leftover brown rice. Then a bit of fresh tomatoes cut in chunks and diced, still-green Korean Melon -- you could sub overgrown cucumber, bottled Yuzu juice (sub lemon or lime juice), diced fresh mushrooms. Was going to just add water, some packaged turkey gravy, and beaten eggs, but discovered polish bacon in the meatbin, so added diced bacon and put on heat to render the bacon a bit, then added water. This makes soft porridge rice kind of like risotto.

So, yummy.

xtron
Cool Member

welcome to SeptembeR....I can start harvesting horseradish!!!!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thai vegetable stirfry with tomatoes, hot banana pepper, bell pepper, garlic and onion from our garden AND my own lemon grass, ginger leaf, and thai basil. Came out good! At least an approximation of actual Thai food....

applestar
Mod

I like to brighten up leftovers. I had left-over pasta-tuna salad, so I harvested some immature garlic chive seedpods and flowers and plucked them to mix in the salad, and garnished with nasturtium flowers. Oh yum!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Company coming for dinner tomorrow night. Menu is a green salad with tomatoes and herbs from the garden (fall greens are too tiny yet!), pasta pesto tossed with garden veggies, which will be carrots, tomatoes, bell peppers, hot banana peppers, onion, garlic, green beans, and some kind of fruit dessert featuring the last of our apples. (Or maybe put the apples in the salad since there will be tomatoes with the pasta and do some other kind of light dessert, like poached pears)

colcol
Newly Registered

Zucchini and cucumbers -- every day, again and again.... :) I planted too many! I give them away at work, give to relatives, give to neighbors, still have too many. But at least there's tons of zucchini recipes out there! I was afraid of not having enough if some got wiped out by hail so I planted extra. But fortunately I didn't get hailed out this year.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

In somewhat of the same situation here, colcol.

It's okay. This is now too late for both cucumbers and squash. Even the plants that followed the early cabbage and scallions have fairly well played out. I've been running sprinklers this morning trying to mitigate a frost but I'm likely to be only marginally successful. The forecast of warmer temperatures made me feel that it was worth a try.

Mildew on either of those vines encourages me to plant more in early July but mildew didn't become a problem on the older plants this year.

The green beans didn't go down to pests and disease, either. The early bush beans came right back with another crop ... joining the beans I planted in July. Those were just getting to peak rev but I think we got most of them off before these cold nights. So!! Beans, Beans, Beans!

Steve

applestar
Mod

Tomatoes are still my top harvest. Late planting, even later planting of left over late started seedlings that survived in better shape than usual, unseasonably cool early summer/June and sudden dip in temperature in mid-late August all contributed to the tomatoes surviving better and continuing to produce, with the late-comers starting to present large beefsteaks that normally would be over and done with by now.

With the seed-saving frenzy mostly over, I can casually toss unlabeled, unseeded fruits in the blender to make tomato-base for sauces and soups.

Tons of parsley and leaf celery as well as myoga and shiso... peppers -- Jalapeños, Brazilian Starfish, Aji Pineapple, Sun Thai, Shishito, and Peppadew are good contributors.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We brought home a ton of green tomatoes, yesterday. They joined another ton ... no room for the newest haul, they are in the garage. DW was just saying that we didn't need any more sauce but I think we can fit a little more in the freezer :wink: .

Now begins my usual habit of using the green tomatoes as either sauce or soup as they ripen. This lasts until the final tasteless fruit is used - weeks from now. My culinary efforts are focused on trying to do my best with them. It's so much easier with the bowl of summer soup which needs so very little to make it a flavorful addition to a meal.

Anyway, myoga and shiso ... I will harvest my ginger for stir-fries before the unheated greenhouse becomes unsuitable for it. Don't have myoga but shiso volunteers as a few plants every year in my garden since I first grew it about 10 years ago. Such a pretty plant but I have never come up with a use for it! A soup ingredient???

Steve
Who successfully saved his basil from this morning's frost!

applestar
Mod

Red shiso is used to add color to salty fermented and sun-dried plums -- umeboshi. It's also used to make sweet red "cordial" light or simple syrup -- adding some kind of acid -- lemon juice or citric acid -- turn it bright red. But it has a distinct flavor that is an acquired taste, though there are quite a bit of touted health benefits. Over ice, on the rocks with sake, or mixed with sparkling water.

I also like flowers and immature seedpods and leaves salted down with a bit of mirin, then dehydrated and crumbled. Great sprinkled over hot rice with nori, or as ochazuke ingredient. I think it's called "yukari", but I might be wrong. Immature seeds are crunchy.

You can do the same with green shiso for different sort of flavor.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have Kale & Bell Peppers in the garden. We have, corn, beans, tomatoes in the pantry. We ate the last of the, potatoes, onions, garlic.

applestar
Mod

Turned this squash into a "pumpkin" bread with cranberries and oatmeal. Actually half of the squash. The other half is destined to become a pumpkin coconut cream custard. :D

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

AppleStar, I think I should have used the shiso the last time we had salmon. We often use leftover fish for a New England type chowder, although using salmon seems like a bit of an extravagant choice. Using shiso and rice with salmon will seem exotic :).

Acquired taste? I'll have to be careful with it since I have never tasted shiso ... except that it might be in some of the sushi that we sometimes have ... never actually made sushi, either :wink: .

I have some advice for using pumpkins. These are rather ordinary Jack o'lantern pumpkins, not the "table" varieties. I'm gonna have to practice what I preach because ... I don't think that the varieties I grew this year will make it to Halloween! This is a new problem because I have grown varieties that don't turn orange before frost. Not ordering the Rock Star seed, which has a maturity date just about right for my garden, I went too far with a couple of 90-day choices. They turned orange in August!!

Anyway, I have used Jack o'lantern pumpkins in the kitchen for several years. Rock Star has lasted well into winter on a basement shelf. I explore zucchini recipes! Yes. I don't care for summer squash and actually think that pumpkin tastes better in zucchini bread and zucchini soup. Both "need something" but I have been pleased with the pumpkin, so far! Need to get them into the basement and keep my fingers crossed that they just don't begin to deteriorate immediately.

It wasn't really much of a winter squash harvest and the potatoes need some company down there :D.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Fresh pasta sauce -- Today I gathered up all the fully ripened yellow paste-type Roman Candle tomatoes, one big Amana Orange tomato, a few Jaloro (very mild white jalapeño - ripens to orange, but I used the immature pale cream-colored ones), leaf celery... hm what else? oh yes, a very small Korean melon that was harvested immature, but ripened yellow on the counter. Ground them all up in the blender, then added to olive-oil gently cooked until starting to caramelize store bought onions, smashed garlic cloves harvested from the garden, a couple of sliced okra pods (planted very late, they are tiny but trying to produce so I'm harvesting them at barely 2 inches), one tiny 3" Orient Express eggplant diced, and diced Polish bacon. A little sea salt and then cooked down and reduced, then freshly squeezed lemon juice to finish. Cooked Fettuccini directly out of the pasta pot into the sauce pot to meld flavors because the sauce was so rich. YUM! :D

xtron
Cool Member

horseradish!!
dug and processed enough for 6 half pints on Saturday.
they weren't kidding when they advised having the windows open. that stuff can get strong.
had some on burgers yesterday and mixed some in the hot dog chili today...yummie. can't wait to make some deviled eggs and use it in the filling.

applestar
Mod

We had a nice Dwarf Orange Cream tomato to slice up and eat with our thick hamburgers made with ground beef. DH sighed with contentment and said proper condiments make all the difference. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I made a big pot of butternut squash stew to take to church potluck. Besides the squash, it had a pound of fresh picked garden green beans in it, plus banana peppers and herbs from the garden. Had left overs to bring home, because I made so much.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Not much out of my garden right now except lots of cukes and some green beans. I've put up about 12 quarts of Bread & Butter pickles from the cukes and have eaten some almost every day in salads or by themselves.

I'm getting enough green beans every 4-5 days to have enough to cook down with some ham or sausage, onion, garlic and a bit of chicken stock to become a few days worth of side dishes to accompany dinner.

If oxalis was a food crop I could feed the neighborhood as it is going nuts in my garden right now. I can't wait until cooler weather takes it out.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I had Apple Upside Down Pumpkin Cake for breakfast.

:D

There were two baked a few days ago and conventional cake-eating time should broaden in the interests of economy after something like that has been around awhile.

The apples are local but the Sweet Meat squash that I used in place of pumpkin, came from the garden a few weeks ago. Sweet Meat is also known as Oregon Heritage. I grew up in Oregon but just discovered this squash a few years ago. Glad I did!

Steve

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I am actually getting some production from my very late fall garden. I have 4 cucumbers on the counter and 2 more to pick today, Fruit on all 8 tomato plants, This evening I will harvest my second batch of mustard greens and enough Kale to make Kale chips for George.

I am monitoring the weather closely. There may be frost later in the week. If so I will drape my boxes with visqueen over night.

Cauliflower and broccoli are growing like crazy but not yet showing any sign of fruiting.

I had a hell of a time getting spinach to germinate. I finally have a crop on the horizon.

I have had difficulty with most of my seeds this fall - multiple plantings required. Because I was so late planting I just grabbed some seed packs from Lowe's. Not doing that again. I have a list of seeds to order for spring. No more store bought seeds.

I am concerned that my tomatoes will not have time to ripen. If they do not I will have to force myself to eat fried green tomatoes and salsa Verde

I also had a very low germination rate on my lettuce and herb seeds.

-wall-

This is the first time I planted cucumbers in the fall. DUHHH! Cucumbers are now on my list for fall planting.

Whether I get a harvest or not I am just happy to have pretty green stuff growing in my boxes.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB, I'm with you on lack of success with my earlier planting of seeds. They came up sparingly, at best, in some crops and not at all in others. I planted several different leaf lettuces and only 2 of them came up in any numbers. My kale, Swiss Chard, bunching onion seeds, and beets hardly sprouted, and the ones that did sprout didn't survive for long. I will be planting more seeds by the weekend.

Oh, and as far as spinach goes, I've never had it do well for me in this part of the world. It seems even if it sprouts, it doesn't grow well and get any size to it. That is why I'm a big chard fan.

I may have jumped the gun a bit planting seeds when I did since we still had a few more weeks of less than ideal conditions as far as heat and humidity, but it has cooled off nicely the past few days and it looks like the real heat is now finished until late spring on 2018-----------at least I hope so.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We put 4 cube steaks in the crock pot before lunch, add 1 quart of garden tomatoes form the pantry, 1 large onion sliced, 6 cloves or garlic, 1 package of dry french onion soup mix, cook until about 4 pm. We also had, potatoes, peas, carrots for dinner. It was all good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For breakfast we made an omelet, with eggs from our chickens and green peppers, chives, spinach and chard from the garden!!

imafan26
Mod

Cucumber and lemons. Ginger is ready, I just have to get it out of the pots.

applestar
Mod

This is the last of the 2016 squashes. ...that’s funny Applestar made a typo and wrote 2016... Nope. This was harvested Oct 21 2016. One of Thai Kang Kob crosses.

I lost another one that was fully ripe and completely buff colored last week. It had turned to mush INSIDE the rind, which was intact and let me pick up the squash-turned-water balloon without mishap, and put it in the compost. That one was over one year old from harvest.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

For dinner last night I took some mixed pepper chili out of the freezer. From the garden we had smothered mustard greens and a salad - the lettuce and cucumbers were from the garden. The cucumbers are producing wildly so we have cucumbers with both lunch and dinner and for snacks. Still more than we can eat. I made cucumber/ginger infused water.

I know - I could make pickles or chutney but that will not happen. I really have to be "in the mood" to can.

Too busy with cooking challenges from the cooking forum I belong to, making dishes for the holidays that can be frozen and :eek: have to do house cleaning.

applestar
Mod

Went grocery shopping yesterday, bought soy-free organic mayo… only to find out the lid was loosened under the “tamperproof” film seal and weirdness was floating on top, oozing grease. (puke)

Well I bought a bunch of expensive high-end deli meats too and I can’t have ham sandwich without mayo…. so I made my own —- using a hand blender in re-purposed peanut butter jar … organic egg yolks, bottled yuzu citrus juice, and organic Dijon mustard; emulsified with with heated to simmering mixture of organic sunflower oil, organic evoo, organic virgin coconut oil, rice wine vinegar, Apple cider vinegar, cowboy candy syrup, my own chili powder, dehydrated onions from this summer’s harvest, slivered Russian marble garlic clove, dried thyme from summer harvest, dill stems from earlier in the week still drying sprigs (removed), Pink Himalayan sea salt, Mediterranean Sea salt, freshly ground organic black peppercorns., and kefir whey added at the end.

Delicious.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”