digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: what are you eating from your garden today 2017

AppleStar, I think I should have used the shiso the last time we had salmon. We often use leftover fish for a New England type chowder, although using salmon seems like a bit of an extravagant choice. Using shiso and rice with salmon will seem exotic :).

Acquired taste? I'll have to be careful with it since I have never tasted shiso ... except that it might be in some of the sushi that we sometimes have ... never actually made sushi, either :wink: .

I have some advice for using pumpkins. These are rather ordinary Jack o'lantern pumpkins, not the "table" varieties. I'm gonna have to practice what I preach because ... I don't think that the varieties I grew this year will make it to Halloween! This is a new problem because I have grown varieties that don't turn orange before frost. Not ordering the Rock Star seed, which has a maturity date just about right for my garden, I went too far with a couple of 90-day choices. They turned orange in August!!

Anyway, I have used Jack o'lantern pumpkins in the kitchen for several years. Rock Star has lasted well into winter on a basement shelf. I explore zucchini recipes! Yes. I don't care for summer squash and actually think that pumpkin tastes better in zucchini bread and zucchini soup. Both "need something" but I have been pleased with the pumpkin, so far! Need to get them into the basement and keep my fingers crossed that they just don't begin to deteriorate immediately.

It wasn't really much of a winter squash harvest and the potatoes need some company down there :D.

Steve

applestar
Mod

Fresh pasta sauce -- Today I gathered up all the fully ripened yellow paste-type Roman Candle tomatoes, one big Amana Orange tomato, a few Jaloro (very mild white jalapeño - ripens to orange, but I used the immature pale cream-colored ones), leaf celery... hm what else? oh yes, a very small Korean melon that was harvested immature, but ripened yellow on the counter. Ground them all up in the blender, then added to olive-oil gently cooked until starting to caramelize store bought onions, smashed garlic cloves harvested from the garden, a couple of sliced okra pods (planted very late, they are tiny but trying to produce so I'm harvesting them at barely 2 inches), one tiny 3" Orient Express eggplant diced, and diced Polish bacon. A little sea salt and then cooked down and reduced, then freshly squeezed lemon juice to finish. Cooked Fettuccini directly out of the pasta pot into the sauce pot to meld flavors because the sauce was so rich. YUM! :D

xtron
Cool Member

horseradish!!
dug and processed enough for 6 half pints on Saturday.
they weren't kidding when they advised having the windows open. that stuff can get strong.
had some on burgers yesterday and mixed some in the hot dog chili today...yummie. can't wait to make some deviled eggs and use it in the filling.

applestar
Mod

We had a nice Dwarf Orange Cream tomato to slice up and eat with our thick hamburgers made with ground beef. DH sighed with contentment and said proper condiments make all the difference. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I made a big pot of butternut squash stew to take to church potluck. Besides the squash, it had a pound of fresh picked garden green beans in it, plus banana peppers and herbs from the garden. Had left overs to bring home, because I made so much.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Not much out of my garden right now except lots of cukes and some green beans. I've put up about 12 quarts of Bread & Butter pickles from the cukes and have eaten some almost every day in salads or by themselves.

I'm getting enough green beans every 4-5 days to have enough to cook down with some ham or sausage, onion, garlic and a bit of chicken stock to become a few days worth of side dishes to accompany dinner.

If oxalis was a food crop I could feed the neighborhood as it is going nuts in my garden right now. I can't wait until cooler weather takes it out.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I had Apple Upside Down Pumpkin Cake for breakfast.

:D

There were two baked a few days ago and conventional cake-eating time should broaden in the interests of economy after something like that has been around awhile.

The apples are local but the Sweet Meat squash that I used in place of pumpkin, came from the garden a few weeks ago. Sweet Meat is also known as Oregon Heritage. I grew up in Oregon but just discovered this squash a few years ago. Glad I did!

Steve

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I am actually getting some production from my very late fall garden. I have 4 cucumbers on the counter and 2 more to pick today, Fruit on all 8 tomato plants, This evening I will harvest my second batch of mustard greens and enough Kale to make Kale chips for George.

I am monitoring the weather closely. There may be frost later in the week. If so I will drape my boxes with visqueen over night.

Cauliflower and broccoli are growing like crazy but not yet showing any sign of fruiting.

I had a hell of a time getting spinach to germinate. I finally have a crop on the horizon.

I have had difficulty with most of my seeds this fall - multiple plantings required. Because I was so late planting I just grabbed some seed packs from Lowe's. Not doing that again. I have a list of seeds to order for spring. No more store bought seeds.

I am concerned that my tomatoes will not have time to ripen. If they do not I will have to force myself to eat fried green tomatoes and salsa Verde

I also had a very low germination rate on my lettuce and herb seeds.

-wall-

This is the first time I planted cucumbers in the fall. DUHHH! Cucumbers are now on my list for fall planting.

Whether I get a harvest or not I am just happy to have pretty green stuff growing in my boxes.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB, I'm with you on lack of success with my earlier planting of seeds. They came up sparingly, at best, in some crops and not at all in others. I planted several different leaf lettuces and only 2 of them came up in any numbers. My kale, Swiss Chard, bunching onion seeds, and beets hardly sprouted, and the ones that did sprout didn't survive for long. I will be planting more seeds by the weekend.

Oh, and as far as spinach goes, I've never had it do well for me in this part of the world. It seems even if it sprouts, it doesn't grow well and get any size to it. That is why I'm a big chard fan.

I may have jumped the gun a bit planting seeds when I did since we still had a few more weeks of less than ideal conditions as far as heat and humidity, but it has cooled off nicely the past few days and it looks like the real heat is now finished until late spring on 2018-----------at least I hope so.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We put 4 cube steaks in the crock pot before lunch, add 1 quart of garden tomatoes form the pantry, 1 large onion sliced, 6 cloves or garlic, 1 package of dry french onion soup mix, cook until about 4 pm. We also had, potatoes, peas, carrots for dinner. It was all good.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For breakfast we made an omelet, with eggs from our chickens and green peppers, chives, spinach and chard from the garden!!

imafan26
Mod

Cucumber and lemons. Ginger is ready, I just have to get it out of the pots.

applestar
Mod

This is the last of the 2016 squashes. ...that’s funny Applestar made a typo and wrote 2016... Nope. This was harvested Oct 21 2016. One of Thai Kang Kob crosses.

I lost another one that was fully ripe and completely buff colored last week. It had turned to mush INSIDE the rind, which was intact and let me pick up the squash-turned-water balloon without mishap, and put it in the compost. That one was over one year old from harvest.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

For dinner last night I took some mixed pepper chili out of the freezer. From the garden we had smothered mustard greens and a salad - the lettuce and cucumbers were from the garden. The cucumbers are producing wildly so we have cucumbers with both lunch and dinner and for snacks. Still more than we can eat. I made cucumber/ginger infused water.

I know - I could make pickles or chutney but that will not happen. I really have to be "in the mood" to can.

Too busy with cooking challenges from the cooking forum I belong to, making dishes for the holidays that can be frozen and :eek: have to do house cleaning.

applestar
Mod

Went grocery shopping yesterday, bought soy-free organic mayo… only to find out the lid was loosened under the “tamperproof” film seal and weirdness was floating on top, oozing grease. (puke)

Well I bought a bunch of expensive high-end deli meats too and I can’t have ham sandwich without mayo…. so I made my own —- using a hand blender in re-purposed peanut butter jar … organic egg yolks, bottled yuzu citrus juice, and organic Dijon mustard; emulsified with with heated to simmering mixture of organic sunflower oil, organic evoo, organic virgin coconut oil, rice wine vinegar, Apple cider vinegar, cowboy candy syrup, my own chili powder, dehydrated onions from this summer’s harvest, slivered Russian marble garlic clove, dried thyme from summer harvest, dill stems from earlier in the week still drying sprigs (removed), Pink Himalayan sea salt, Mediterranean Sea salt, freshly ground organic black peppercorns., and kefir whey added at the end.

Delicious.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I picked the last of the cucumbers off the dying vines a couple days ago and decided to put up more Bread & Butter pickles and wound up with 4 quarts worth. I sent a quart I put up a couple weeks ago with the wife to her office 2 days ago and she told me her coworkers have just about cleaned out the jar, so it looks like they are a hit over there.

We're having meatballs/Italian sausage with red gravy over pasta tonight and I fixed a nice salad with kale, chard, mixed leaf lettuces and a couple cucumbers I kept for salads. I did have to use store bought tomatoes, but that is all that came from the market.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had company for dinner which was green salad including chard and spinach from the garden and curried butternut soup with garden grown squash. Very yum!!

And I made a huge pot of the soup, so there is some for leftovers and a bunch to freeze.

applestar
Mod

Haven’t been feeling too well and need to kick this cold. Opened a bottle of elderberry syrup made from this summer’s harvest — about 1 part mixed with 4 parts hot water, then a splash of summer harvested blackberry-spirytus cordial. Yum. ;)

applestar
Mod

This was a couple of days ago, but At MIL’s House, we had ham for Christmas. This year, the middle BIL was the chef, with MIL supervising. The ham and the rest of the meal was overall excellently done, except — as My DH put it, he was a bit “ham-fisted” with salt on the spinach and on the corn, while the broccoli had been left unsalted....

But what I made was from the leftover ham — bones and fatty and stringy scraps which we brought home — a ham and great northern beans, carrots, and pea soup. I started with sunflower oil and butter caramelized onions and garlic in the bottom of the pot, then added the giant ham bone and the scraps. Instead of a bit of ginger which is my usual addition, I added about a cup of older home made kimchee that nobody wanted to eat out of the jar anymore, along with one of the fat daikon slices that was pressing the kimchee down. As soon as I added it, and the pungent kimchee aroma filled the pot, I wondered if I had made a mistake and nobody would want the soup now, but by the time it had cooked, the kimchee was completely melted into the soup and had added depth of flavor that was astounding. :)

Before that I made beef and barley soup which was made with demiglace made with winter-harvested celery from the garden, and added “it’s been opened and left in the fridge a little too long orange marmalade” that nobody wanted to eat from the jar any more and last slice of Swiss emmentarle cheese as well as about a cup of konbu (kelp) left over from making broth for tofu and potato miso soup.... oh yeah I added the water that was used to preserve the used konbu in the ham and bean soup. Oh! In both soups, I added 2 green Gochugaru yon Gochu Korean pepper pods harvested from the garage where they are hopefully overwintering.

So far nobody has noticed these oddball additions but have praised the soup. ;)

...oh yes’m the garlic and herbs used for the soups also can from the garden. :()

MoonShadows

Just made a leftover turkey sandwich for breakfast topped with fresh lettuce from my indoor kitchen garden.
100_0137.JPG

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Last night we had collard greens! There are two niiiiice heads of broccoli still on the plants out in the tiny garden I'm "tending". I didn't want to waste the stems and stalks of the collard greens, so I started a lactofermentation of them. I hope they turn out!

Apple,

Do you have a ginger bug? I bet some of that syrup would make a really nice soda!

applestar
Mod

Oooh Lindsay, I actually had not heard of a ginger bug. (how did I miss that all these years? :eek: )

I’ve looked it up and am going to get a culture started ASAP. Yes my potted ginger tub in in the house and I can dig some ginger up as I need them :-()

Sooooo glad you came by to visit. :> :()

applestar
Mod

I heated up the last of the ham/bean soup broth/liquid, added diced carrots, onions, and diced up all of the good pieces of the leftover ham we still had left in the fridge... a good amount of fresh black oyster mushrooms, frozen peas... finished with a splash of Tanqueray gin, then used TJ’s frozen pie dough to make a pie. When I told DH we didn’t have any potatoes, he proposed adding leftover storebought potato salad that was a bit too vinegary for our taste (you see how I’m influencing him? :lol: ) I decided to layer the potato salad in the bottom of the pie rather than mixing in as he thought, then the cooled filling on top. While I was preparing the eggwash for the top crust, I decided at the last minute that I would add a kind of custard over the filling (without seasoning so as to tone down the intense flavors of the combined filling), so I beat 2 eggs with some kefir and used it as eggwash, then opened a hole in the middle of the top crust and carefully poured the rest in while lifting the top crust to allow the mixture to spread without overflowing from the hole.

Here it is :D

I forgot (again) that TJ’s frozen pie dough is a bit overly sweet, so there is a bit of objection to the sweetness that I can’t get over, but overall, it turned out yummy and I had two wedges in succession :>

(... nah none of the added ingredients for the pie was from the garden, not even the mushrooms unfortunately, but it’s a follow up to the post above so I put it here ... :wink: )

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've had this particular bug for about 4 weeks! My first 3 were failures...

I have been bitten by the fermentation bug! and I have been trying recipes from Sandor Katz's Wild Fermentation. I'm in love! I think I'll try my Kimchi tonight. I made it with cabbage leaves, broccoli leaves, cauliflower leaves (all from my garden) and a massive head of Napa cabbage one of my organic chemistry professors gave me in exchange for some of the cilantro that is thriving in my itty bitty garden! It just hit the 3 week mark. It's a little funky (cabbage-y funky), and I'm honestly a bit intimidated by it!

Another friend of mine gifted me 4 cabbages! I've been looking for a recipe, but I think I'll just try sauerkraut!

Winter break, and I'm enjoying what freedom my research allows! I've missed y'all!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

It got down in the teens last night, so we cut the broccoli heads. We had the lightly steamed with salt and pepper. They were SO good... these were the largest broccoli I’ve ever grown!
We had some of the greens as well last night!
1A93CC30-F8C5-4E92-8233-F242B55EECB7.jpeg
Tonight I tasted the Lactofermented collard green stems and carrots. Perfectly sour and salty! I put them in the fridge!
9D5CAF81-B7B4-4122-B245-D151390FFE6E.jpeg

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”