Aubsgarden
Newly Registered

SALT WATER POOLS AND GARDENS ..?

Hey everyone, I am in some serious need for advice :? My husband and I recently bought a home with an indoor atrium in the center with a glass roof. The Atrium has some plants in it now (a rubber tree, corn plant and some other plants that I have no idea what they are) and a dirt floor. My husband and I want to put a small Hot Tub in the atrium; we really want a salt water system (for many reasons but I also think this would be beneficial for my husbands disability), however, I am seriously concerned about the effect the salt water will have on the plants and the soil in the atrium. I have done so much reading trying to research this and I am now still just as confused if not confused even more. Even though there are not a lot of plants in there now it is my goal to make it a beautiful & enjoyable garden and I don't want to do anything that will jeopardize that. Any help would definitely be appreciated, Thanks in advance

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

salt kills plants and then nothing will grow there for a long time....

applestar
Mod

I agree with you -- if I ever have a hot tub or a pool, I would want a salt water system rather than chlorine, etc. chemicals. I would imagine that you would put down some kind of flooring -- paved or wooden deck -- for where you would put the hot tub to keep your feet clean? With mortared/solid paving or cement (concrete?) pad, you might be abled to direct any spillage away from the plants? ...maybe even put some kind of drain in there?

Are the plants currently planted directly in the ground or are they in containers? Or are they in raised planters? I think it's possible to have plants in there if they are salt-air tolerant (sea shore/coastal type) as long as they are in containers raised up from the ground or they are actually salt-in-soil-tolerant.

I'm not familiar -- All I know is that avocados are not salt tolerant not even salt in the air but rosemary is, for example, and they have been working on developing salt-tolerant tomato varieties in some coastal areas in ... Massachusetts? and Europe (Spain?), and somewhere in Japan where groundwater is heavily affected by volcanic hot springs.

But in the north, the municipal and commercial landscaping plant lists mention salt tolerance for street/curb-side plants because of the salt used against ice. I would imagine that similar descriptions in sea shore and coastal or island areas might be available where the plants you have can be grown outside? It seems to me that where they have devastating effects from hurricanes like Florida, Louisiana, etc. they would certainly mention something like that? Maybe Hawaii (imafan?)

You may need to replace some of your plants depending on what you find out. If you take photos of the plants and post in the Plant ID forum, we could help with that part of the project. :wink:
:arrow: Plant Identification • HelpfulGardener.com

Aubsgarden
Newly Registered

Thank you for all the info :) You gave me many more things to think about ... I didn't even consider the salt in the air.

The plants are all planted in the ground which is a flat surface.

Wouldn't chlorinated water kill the plants as well?

We were going to put pebbles around the tub and then plants, we eventually want it to blend in and look as part of the garden.

I am definitely going to be adding some photo to the plant identification section ... Love that I happened upon this site! Thank you !!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Prioritize, Husband's health comes first.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”