Asica

Planter next to the house

My friend got a house and I am helping her with designing the yard. I have one very heavy problem. On the back porch, the semicircle planter is next to the house. It is touching the walls of the house. It is large (sorry she did not have a picture yet), she estimated to be the size of two small couches. There is soil touching the walls. I know destroying it will be a way to go. However, inside that planter is a huge boulder. It is large enough that you will need machinery in order to remove it. The problem with that is cost and getting to the backyard is not easy. I was thinking maybe to get the soil out and put brick next to the wall. I do not know if that would help. There is little hill in the backyard and the water gathers in one corner of that planter. There is snow and that apparently made the water go inside the house, there is door next to the planner. I do not think there is any drainage in that planner. How would you go about putting one in?
I know without picture this is hard to imagine. I asked her to get me one.
From what she observed,the boulder was there when the house was build and somebody just build planter around it.
Last edited by applestar on Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed typos for easier reading/avoid misunderstanding

imafan26
Mod

It isn't really a good idea to plant up against the foundation of a house.
1. You want space to be able to do maintenance on the house like paint, wash the window.
2. You don't want roots getting under the foundation and or a wet foundation as it invites pests (termites in my neighborhood)
3. Good air circulation is important to plants to keep them healthy. You don't wan't plants next to a wall that blocks air, shades the plants or under eaves that either means the plants don't get much water or get dumped on from the roof when it rains.
4. If you plant too close to a wall, taller plants may not have room to spread and on some tall plants end up brushing under the eaves or the roof .
5. If the house wall shades that part of the yard too much plants will lean out to get more light.
6. You don't want soil touching the house because it can cause rot especially to wooden walls.

I think you meant there was a boulder in the planter? if the boulder is not up against the house and it would be difficult to move it, I would leave it there and landscape around it. I would take the planter apart and regrade to make sure the soil drains away from the foundation of the house. I would not put anything next to the wall. grading the soil away will fix the problem adding anything that traps moisture next to the wall will not. You want to be able to have a gap between the wall and the soil level. You should be able to see the foundation and soil should not touch the wall.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, she HAS to get the planter and the soil away from the house. Really that planter just has to be demolished and start over.

In general, it isn't a good idea to have planters too close to the house, not only not touching, but not right next. You don't want water and dampness next to your house. You don't want roots going into plumbing. You do want to be able to get to your walls for painting/ repairs, etc. AND the house usually provides pretty much shade, so that planter will be shaded a lot of the day. If the house has any eaves, then the planter may be in rain shadow of the eaves.

Personally, I don't really like planters for foundation plantings anyway. I think just a raised bed with edging works better and allows you to leave space behind it and solves the above problems. Easier to correct slope and drainage, etc.

Asica

Thank you guys. I do not like the planter either. The builder is still inside the planner. If she demolishes the planner and leaves the builder next to the wall, as I understand the builder is touching the wall, the house should be ok. Right?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Imafan asked if you are talking about a boulder. For the moment, I will assume she is right.

So if the planter is demolished, the boulder is still there and touches the house? Still probably not the best, but depends on what the surface is it is touching. If the house is wood and the boulder touches it, it will keep water in that spot against the wooden house wall and promote mildew and rotting. If the house is stone or vinyl siding probably not as big a worry.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”