applestar
Mod

Re: 2017 What's the weather like where you are?

Waah they are doing it again! This time forecast was 100% thunderstorms, weather map showed a HUGE, multi-state sized solid wall of green, yellow, and orange mass approaching from the west, then forecast started to waffle, 90%, 80%.... So accessed the time lapse video of the approaching storm, and darned if it wasn't thinning out juuust where it would pass over my precise area... and then yes, they split. :x

In my head, I'm hearing military step by step call-out (is that what this is called?) -- something like this .... Attention, attention, we are approaching THE no-fly zone. ETA 2 hours 42 minutes. All hands, prepare for separation, prepare for separation... Separation count down commencing.... all systems nominal... separation has been initiated.... We have separation. Do not deviate. No fly zone ETA 56 minutes. Re-integration will be initiated in 58 minutes.... :roll:

applestar
Mod

We had a deceiving 15 minute rain. -- we can, too, fly over your house :P -- kind of weather event from a ragged remnant of that large mass system. It helped some, I'm sure -- especially areas that don't get watered at all could use even that little bit -- but probably no more than 1/4 inch of rain, if that. Not enough to keep me from watering tomorrow unless more rain is coming. When I looked before the sun -- yes, sun came out after -- went down, the street had already dried, and so had my brick patio.

jeff84

miserable. 97degrees with a 112 degree heat index

xtron
Cool Member

87 sunny..50% humidity...nice after a week of 90+ and 70%+ humidity. got 1/4 inch rain shower last evening...20-40% chance for more all week. looks like I will be watering the corn some. it's tasseled and the ears are filling so it needs all I can give it.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Apple

I really enjoyed your literary comparison of the clouds to ladies in grey skirts tip toeing around. You painted a lovely word picture.

I also enjoyed your poem.

Thank you for sharing another side of yourself.

applestar
Mod

Thanks ElizabethB :D ...but just to be clear -- no credit to me -- that poem is lyrics from Queen's "Who Wants to Live Forever" just a teensy bit rearranged -- no creative talent required. :> So sing it to their music if you EVER need to complain that it's not raining.... :lol:

The cloud ladies imagery was my own, though. :wink:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

On Saturday we had some of the worst rainfall of the year and it was directly situated over my part of town. Lots of street flooding and many homes and businesses took on water as did many cars trying to negotiate where they shouldn't be negotiating. I don't know what makes people think a compact car can roll through 3 ft. of water near underpasses.

I had tilled my garden and put in some pole bean and cucumber seeds on Thursday or Friday and then the rains came. I'm pretty sure the beans will be ok since they were about 1 1/2 inches deep, but the cucumber seeds probably got washed out since they are planted much shallower and that part of my garden was pretty much underwater.

It's early, so I'll see what happens in a few more days and plant more seeds as needed.

imafan26
Mod

The remnants of TS Fernanda is here. It has blocked off the tradewinds and brought some overnight rain with a few flashes of lightening. Scattered showers are expected today and while it looks like it is clearing a bit now, the winds are light 7 miles per hour so convection clouds will probably bring more rain after noon. The high is going to be about 84 degrees, but with 88% humidity and very little wind, it will be a good day to spend inside with air conditioning. Good mall day. Right now I think it is about 73 degrees but it feels warmer.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We had flash floods all day. I am not sure how many times it rained. Lots of flooding on TV News. TV News says, we had 4.4" of rain today, Easts of me they had 8.9" of rain today.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

IMG_20170802_154228.jpg
Smoke from Pacific Northwest wildfires ...

Record high temperatures at Portland Oregon and SeaTac Airport. Weather Service in Portland expects 105°f and 106° for the next two afternoon highs. The smoke may actually hold down temperatures by a couple of degrees.

Smoky here (far right, in the photo) and becoming unpleasantly so.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

WOW, a very nice change in weather this morning 59 degrees, a little fog, and a heavy dew. Every year about Aug 15 we have a very noticeable change in weather it is a week early this year. Fall is on the way.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:WOW, a very nice change in weather this morning 59 degrees, a little fog, and a heavy dew. Every year about Aug 15 we have a very noticeable change in weather it is a week early this year. Fall is on the way.

I can only wish for that. We won't see those type temperatures until mid to late October in all likelihood. Our nighttime temperatures are in the high 70's to low 80's now and it makes for miserable times.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Oh Heavens! It's smoky.

Visibility was down to 3 miles at the nearest airport a couple of afternoons ago. Staying at about 6 or 8 since. At 3 miles visibility, the sunlight doesn't cast noticeable shadows. Daytime temperatures in the 90's continue.

Today would have been a day to sleep in awhile. Instead, plugged sinuses and a couple of sneezes got me up at 3:30. Opening the windows and turning on fans moves out stale overnight air and again fills the house with the smell of wood smoke. The nearest fire right now is about 100 miles away but smoke travels and lingers and there are fires in all directions. It's time to close windows and the AC will be needed soon enough.

https://wasmoke.blogspot.com

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Horrible rains yesterday. We got almost 8 inches in 3 hours and it overwhelmed the pumping stations, resulting in a lot of street flooding that had quite a few businesses cleaning up today from the water getting in their establishments. Untold numbers of cars flooded that were parked in the streets too.

My street flooded pretty bad and any car parked next to the curb took on water. It got high enough to send some water into my ground floor where my man cave is. I had about 1 1/2 inches of water that encroached about 15 or so feet into the house. It finally slowed down raining and the water receded to where I could sweep it out the house and then hit the floor with my shopvac, then set up a couple fans to dry things out.

The ground is so saturated it can't accept another drop of rain and my garden is totally flooded. One of my neighbors commented to me this morning that all my mulch is now scattered around the neighborhood. I had just put out 6 or 7 large bags of it in the front flower beds, and now it's gone.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

DG50jdCXoAAJdBh.jpg
Smoke from Pacific Northwest Wildfires, evening before last

Yesterday was a new record of 15 days with temperatures above 90°f , today should add one more! Then, some wind moves into the area, Sunday.

My sinuses are wrecked!

Steve :cry:

imafan26
Mod

It is 74 degrees right now and is forecast to go up to 89 -90 today. Down the hill it is already 79 degrees. Zero winds will make it seem hotter. There is a small chance of rain somewhere. The ocean gets most of it.

I transplanted some rosemary yesterday from the cutting box. It looks extra crispy today. I guess it needed to stay in the shade.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hot and muggy this morning. Surprisingly cool this afternoon - upper 70's. A little breeze. WAY too much rain. Much of the yard is a bog. I really feel sorry for my neighbors - back and both sides. Our yard is higher than theirs. The stolons on the St. Augustine are turning black and rotting. My Crepe Myrtle dropped it's flowers - a month early. I see bright green leaves on the live oaks in the neighborhood. Not right. Live oaks shed old leaves and produce new leaves in March NOT in August.

HUGE thunderstorm this afternoon. 2" of rain in an hour. Deluge.

I am glad I am retired and do not have to get out in that weather.

imafan26
Mod

The last 2 days we have had some overnight rain and the trades are back. It is still 90 at midday, but the weeds are happy.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had some rain ..

. and now, cooler temperatures. The air cleared but for the first few hours of sprinkles and with higher humidity, everything smelled more smoky than before. It is like opening up an often-used smoke house. Houses, trees, everything were in the smoke for days & days. And yet, there were no wildfires all that close. Today, it's breezy and I was just noticing that I smell smoke, again. I very much hope that we can get some of this fire weather behind us!

The light rain only damped everything near my home. I noticed how Spokane airport had only a "trace," an immeasurable amount of rain. So, the days of without rain from 6/28 continue to add up for that community.

Steve

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Last rain here was about 4 or 5 days ago. Inch and a half in one storm. But, the monsoon seems to be winding down, though it should go for about another month. This week shows all dry days.

But, am more worried about the night time temps that are showing up at my 5530' garden. Last night 45 degrees. From past experience, that's dangerously close to frost. Last year air temps around 40 or slightly below frosted our windshields and roof! Gettin scary. Still have immature squash out there and tomatoes have barely started. Very strange year!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are having 90 degree weather again. I have volunteer Napa cabbage going to seed, I just pulled all the seed tops off. It is a little bit too early for Fall garden. We had 70 degree weather a week ago. TV News weather warning today for severe thunder storms this evening. Garden is very dry a little rain will be good.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Finally, we had a lightning storm. OH yea it rained too.

applestar
Mod

Currently (6:45am) 51°F! Is this still August? :shock:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

OH great, Hurricane Harvey is moving into TN tomorrow by the time it is over we are expected to have 5 to 7 inches of rain.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:OH great, Hurricane Harvey is moving into TN tomorrow by the time it is over we are expected to have 5 to 7 inches of rain.
We're getting stuff from Harvey here in Louisiana right now. It hasn't been as bad as they predicted, but it has been fairly steady all day long with spurts of fairly heavy rain followed by a steady light rain. No street flooding, power outages, etc. so it's not so bad. Only real problem is that we've been getting rain all summer long at a rate of 3-4 days a week and the ground is unable to take any more water.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Gumbo - IDK where in NOLA you live. For the rest of the forum NOLA proper is below sea level. There is a board walk along the river. When the Mississippi is high it is very disconcerting to stand there - the level of the river is higher than the city. :eek: FREAKY!

Same here. Steady rain with occasional thunder storms thrown in for fun. Unseasonably cool - 70 in the am with a breeze/wind gust.

imafan26
Mod

It is 84 degrees right now and sunny with a light breeze. Another hot August day. It rained a few days ago very hard for a short time, but it was enough to wake the grass up, It is growing and greening again. At least for a little while. I will have to weed whack again. I have bee sleeping with the ceiling fan on, but it gets cold at 3 am. It is raining somewhere today, just not here.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Gumbo - IDK where in NOLA you live. For the rest of the forum NOLA proper is below sea level. There is a board walk along the river. When the Mississippi is high it is very disconcerting to stand there - the level of the river is higher than the city. :eek: FREAKY!

Same here. Steady rain with occasional thunder storms thrown in for fun. Unseasonably cool - 70 in the am with a breeze/wind gust.
Yeah, when late spring arrives and the thaw from the northern snows is heading to the rivers toward the Gulf of Mexico, it is a freaky experience for folks not familiar with our situation. I had a friend from Indiana stay with the wife and I in 06 while he was down here working as a contractor to help folks get things back together after Katrina.

One of his days off in late spring I took him to the levee and we parked on a surface street a good 20 feet below the top of the levee. We climbed it and when we got to the top he was blown away. The river was cresting no more than 5 ft. from the top of the levee on the river side. I remember him turning around and looking where my truck was in relation to the water and he said if that levee broke, it would be a disaster of Biblical proportions. A little while later a huge cargo ship made its way up the river and from the street, it looked like it was motoring it's was along the top of the levee.

applestar
Mod

Summer is passing by - nearly 6am (5:47 ) and it's still dark out there -- 1st light at 6:01am, sunrise is not until 6:29am according to one weather source.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 58 degrees here this morning. We had 5 days of rain from Hurricane Harvey. We were lucky we were in the center of the donut hole and did not get as much rain as everyone else in a 40 mile circle around us. Many places reported 8" to 12" of rain the first day. 5 days of drizzle rain would have been a good time to plant a fall garden from seed.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Here in the so-called coastal rainforest we had less than 2mm precipitation (a shade more than 1/16 inch) for the whole of July & August. Still no rain forecast for early September and they say it will hit 38C this week - that's just over 100F - and where we live it's usually a couple of degrees hotter than forecast. We're aged temperate-zone guys and it's hard to take! Wet towels round the neck and stay in the deepest shade you can find. If there's any gardening done it's in the hours of near-darkness.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The day of showers is now just a dim memory. It began to vanish nearly as quickly as the dampness on the pavement, that distant summer afternoon. The air here is now full of smoke. Flushing the house with outdoor air beginning before sunrise has been discontinued. The air in this valley has reached "very unhealthy" levels and "hazardous" in some communities.

I have welcomed guests at the airport from areas with wildfires. The crowd that leave the plane smell of smoke! Planeloads of travelers going outside of this region must carry the same cloud. We are smoked!

The Weather Service says that for the Spokane Airport, this is the 2nd longest string of consecutive days at 71 days with precip < 0.01". Still with no rain, the record is expected to be broken September 10th.

I went to bed last night with a sinus headache and woke up that way, this morning.

Steve

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Steve, now that our BC smoke has almost disappeared, - at least on the coast - what is probably some of "yours" is saving us from the threatened 38C. It may not make 30. Sun's just a fuzzy orange glow. Come on Autumn! We could use some proper mists, and mellow fruitfulness.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I like the idea of "proper mists, and mellow fruitfulness." Especially, if the mists would give us a couple inches of rain by the end of this month :).

We had a record 6.23" of October 2016 rain. Then, a first-rate snowy winter. The wild grasses were "as hiiigh as an el·e·phant's eeeye" by late spring ... and now this!

Actually, we are doing quite well ... as I understand it. If we think of this area of eastern Washington and northern Idaho, 68,000 square miles, an area of the West larger than Wisconsin - there is only one major fire. Over 80% of wildfires are man-caused, that fire west of the Columbia is listed as lightning-caused. We are doing good but major fires outside the region are on all sides! Smoke pours over forested hillsides, into the valleys and basin, and lingers. Koff

I was talking with my neighbor yesterday and the first thing he brought up when asked about the conditions was the eruption of Mount St Helens ... Yes, it feels something like that. We weren't going anywhere then, just out washing volcanic ash off our houses, running our sprinklers, worrying about our health ...

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Raining...again.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

51 degrees this morning that beat the 52 degree record set in 1872

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Our weather broke!! Only 76F today (smoky sky helped) and we even had a little rain. Now to see all those sad looking plants come back to life?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hurricane Irma now headed straight for me. But by then it won't be a hurricane any more. They predict Tues evening tropical storm with 35 mi per hour wind and lots of rain. Nothing like what will be hitting Miami, but we will get the tail end of it.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Despite all the doomsayers, I don't anticipate Hurricane Irma being worse than other 'canes I've lived through. All the path predictions show my area will get some effects. I'm philosophical about it. I can't do much more than I have to prepare and if it's still a 'cane when it hits here, then we will have a lot of downed trees and closed roads and shortage of gasoline.

This spring into summer has not been all that dry. I don't water lawns and yet they are still green.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, summer here has been coolish and wet and it seemed to turn into fall at the end of August. I put a blanket on my bed last night! We never get hurricanes here, but we will get the end of this one, downgraded to a tropical storm by then.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”