imafan26
Mod

Re: 2017 What's the weather like where you are?

It is 74 degrees right now and is forecast to go up to 89 -90 today. Down the hill it is already 79 degrees. Zero winds will make it seem hotter. There is a small chance of rain somewhere. The ocean gets most of it.

I transplanted some rosemary yesterday from the cutting box. It looks extra crispy today. I guess it needed to stay in the shade.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hot and muggy this morning. Surprisingly cool this afternoon - upper 70's. A little breeze. WAY too much rain. Much of the yard is a bog. I really feel sorry for my neighbors - back and both sides. Our yard is higher than theirs. The stolons on the St. Augustine are turning black and rotting. My Crepe Myrtle dropped it's flowers - a month early. I see bright green leaves on the live oaks in the neighborhood. Not right. Live oaks shed old leaves and produce new leaves in March NOT in August.

HUGE thunderstorm this afternoon. 2" of rain in an hour. Deluge.

I am glad I am retired and do not have to get out in that weather.

imafan26
Mod

The last 2 days we have had some overnight rain and the trades are back. It is still 90 at midday, but the weeds are happy.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We had some rain ..

. and now, cooler temperatures. The air cleared but for the first few hours of sprinkles and with higher humidity, everything smelled more smoky than before. It is like opening up an often-used smoke house. Houses, trees, everything were in the smoke for days & days. And yet, there were no wildfires all that close. Today, it's breezy and I was just noticing that I smell smoke, again. I very much hope that we can get some of this fire weather behind us!

The light rain only damped everything near my home. I noticed how Spokane airport had only a "trace," an immeasurable amount of rain. So, the days of without rain from 6/28 continue to add up for that community.

Steve

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Last rain here was about 4 or 5 days ago. Inch and a half in one storm. But, the monsoon seems to be winding down, though it should go for about another month. This week shows all dry days.

But, am more worried about the night time temps that are showing up at my 5530' garden. Last night 45 degrees. From past experience, that's dangerously close to frost. Last year air temps around 40 or slightly below frosted our windshields and roof! Gettin scary. Still have immature squash out there and tomatoes have barely started. Very strange year!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We are having 90 degree weather again. I have volunteer Napa cabbage going to seed, I just pulled all the seed tops off. It is a little bit too early for Fall garden. We had 70 degree weather a week ago. TV News weather warning today for severe thunder storms this evening. Garden is very dry a little rain will be good.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Finally, we had a lightning storm. OH yea it rained too.

applestar
Mod

Currently (6:45am) 51°F! Is this still August? :shock:

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

OH great, Hurricane Harvey is moving into TN tomorrow by the time it is over we are expected to have 5 to 7 inches of rain.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gary350 wrote:OH great, Hurricane Harvey is moving into TN tomorrow by the time it is over we are expected to have 5 to 7 inches of rain.
We're getting stuff from Harvey here in Louisiana right now. It hasn't been as bad as they predicted, but it has been fairly steady all day long with spurts of fairly heavy rain followed by a steady light rain. No street flooding, power outages, etc. so it's not so bad. Only real problem is that we've been getting rain all summer long at a rate of 3-4 days a week and the ground is unable to take any more water.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Gumbo - IDK where in NOLA you live. For the rest of the forum NOLA proper is below sea level. There is a board walk along the river. When the Mississippi is high it is very disconcerting to stand there - the level of the river is higher than the city. :eek: FREAKY!

Same here. Steady rain with occasional thunder storms thrown in for fun. Unseasonably cool - 70 in the am with a breeze/wind gust.

imafan26
Mod

It is 84 degrees right now and sunny with a light breeze. Another hot August day. It rained a few days ago very hard for a short time, but it was enough to wake the grass up, It is growing and greening again. At least for a little while. I will have to weed whack again. I have bee sleeping with the ceiling fan on, but it gets cold at 3 am. It is raining somewhere today, just not here.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Gumbo - IDK where in NOLA you live. For the rest of the forum NOLA proper is below sea level. There is a board walk along the river. When the Mississippi is high it is very disconcerting to stand there - the level of the river is higher than the city. :eek: FREAKY!

Same here. Steady rain with occasional thunder storms thrown in for fun. Unseasonably cool - 70 in the am with a breeze/wind gust.
Yeah, when late spring arrives and the thaw from the northern snows is heading to the rivers toward the Gulf of Mexico, it is a freaky experience for folks not familiar with our situation. I had a friend from Indiana stay with the wife and I in 06 while he was down here working as a contractor to help folks get things back together after Katrina.

One of his days off in late spring I took him to the levee and we parked on a surface street a good 20 feet below the top of the levee. We climbed it and when we got to the top he was blown away. The river was cresting no more than 5 ft. from the top of the levee on the river side. I remember him turning around and looking where my truck was in relation to the water and he said if that levee broke, it would be a disaster of Biblical proportions. A little while later a huge cargo ship made its way up the river and from the street, it looked like it was motoring it's was along the top of the levee.

applestar
Mod

Summer is passing by - nearly 6am (5:47 ) and it's still dark out there -- 1st light at 6:01am, sunrise is not until 6:29am according to one weather source.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 58 degrees here this morning. We had 5 days of rain from Hurricane Harvey. We were lucky we were in the center of the donut hole and did not get as much rain as everyone else in a 40 mile circle around us. Many places reported 8" to 12" of rain the first day. 5 days of drizzle rain would have been a good time to plant a fall garden from seed.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Here in the so-called coastal rainforest we had less than 2mm precipitation (a shade more than 1/16 inch) for the whole of July & August. Still no rain forecast for early September and they say it will hit 38C this week - that's just over 100F - and where we live it's usually a couple of degrees hotter than forecast. We're aged temperate-zone guys and it's hard to take! Wet towels round the neck and stay in the deepest shade you can find. If there's any gardening done it's in the hours of near-darkness.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The day of showers is now just a dim memory. It began to vanish nearly as quickly as the dampness on the pavement, that distant summer afternoon. The air here is now full of smoke. Flushing the house with outdoor air beginning before sunrise has been discontinued. The air in this valley has reached "very unhealthy" levels and "hazardous" in some communities.

I have welcomed guests at the airport from areas with wildfires. The crowd that leave the plane smell of smoke! Planeloads of travelers going outside of this region must carry the same cloud. We are smoked!

The Weather Service says that for the Spokane Airport, this is the 2nd longest string of consecutive days at 71 days with precip < 0.01". Still with no rain, the record is expected to be broken September 10th.

I went to bed last night with a sinus headache and woke up that way, this morning.

Steve

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Steve, now that our BC smoke has almost disappeared, - at least on the coast - what is probably some of "yours" is saving us from the threatened 38C. It may not make 30. Sun's just a fuzzy orange glow. Come on Autumn! We could use some proper mists, and mellow fruitfulness.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I like the idea of "proper mists, and mellow fruitfulness." Especially, if the mists would give us a couple inches of rain by the end of this month :).

We had a record 6.23" of October 2016 rain. Then, a first-rate snowy winter. The wild grasses were "as hiiigh as an el·e·phant's eeeye" by late spring ... and now this!

Actually, we are doing quite well ... as I understand it. If we think of this area of eastern Washington and northern Idaho, 68,000 square miles, an area of the West larger than Wisconsin - there is only one major fire. Over 80% of wildfires are man-caused, that fire west of the Columbia is listed as lightning-caused. We are doing good but major fires outside the region are on all sides! Smoke pours over forested hillsides, into the valleys and basin, and lingers. Koff

I was talking with my neighbor yesterday and the first thing he brought up when asked about the conditions was the eruption of Mount St Helens ... Yes, it feels something like that. We weren't going anywhere then, just out washing volcanic ash off our houses, running our sprinklers, worrying about our health ...

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Raining...again.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

51 degrees this morning that beat the 52 degree record set in 1872

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Our weather broke!! Only 76F today (smoky sky helped) and we even had a little rain. Now to see all those sad looking plants come back to life?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hurricane Irma now headed straight for me. But by then it won't be a hurricane any more. They predict Tues evening tropical storm with 35 mi per hour wind and lots of rain. Nothing like what will be hitting Miami, but we will get the tail end of it.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Despite all the doomsayers, I don't anticipate Hurricane Irma being worse than other 'canes I've lived through. All the path predictions show my area will get some effects. I'm philosophical about it. I can't do much more than I have to prepare and if it's still a 'cane when it hits here, then we will have a lot of downed trees and closed roads and shortage of gasoline.

This spring into summer has not been all that dry. I don't water lawns and yet they are still green.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, summer here has been coolish and wet and it seemed to turn into fall at the end of August. I put a blanket on my bed last night! We never get hurricanes here, but we will get the end of this one, downgraded to a tropical storm by then.

imafan26
Mod

Well, no blanket until 3 am and I sometimes sleep with the ceiling fan on, but it has been relatively mild. It is 76 degrees now, and there have been some early morning showers. It is still hot during the day especially when the trades are light, but not the worst. August and September are usually the hottest months of the year.

applestar
Mod

:eek: it's 45°F out there this morning! All my container "tropicals" are of course still out there.

@imafan would you say that's cold? :shock:

imafan26
Mod

It is 72 degrees but no wind and it is humid. The sky is full of dark convection clouds and there have been a few big drop sprinkles.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Power outage times 2 days with Hurricane Irma. Just got it back this AM. Huge limbs and all kinds of tree litter, palm fronds etc are down in the yard, some landed on roof but it seems intact. Hurt my elbow trying to drag an 8" diameter live oak limb, maybe wider, that was about fifteen feet long and multiple heavy branches with a fifteen feet wide canopy. Yeah, dumb, but I was just tugging to see if it was all in one piece. It was. I couldn't remove debris from that side of the house unless I could shift the beast. I did trim off quite a few smaller branches but need to get the pros to handle it. Kind of cloudy today, but still humid and hot.

FinnMcOwl

Currently it's quite nice. about +20 celcius. But in about 2 months I know it's going to hit -30 celcius and my gardening days will be done for the winter.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Where are you located, McOwl? I'm guessing Canada, probably interior. I, perversely, reveled in the cold frozen months.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Garden has been a mud hole for a whole month from all 3 Hurricane rains, 70 degree weather has been nice. Saturday was 92 degrees and Sunday is predicted to be 95. If the soil finally dries up I can TILL. The SUN has returned it has been very over cast for too long.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It has been a very pleasant weekend!

After several days of blessed rain, there was a frost on Friday. I did fairly well at mitigating the cold by running the sprinklers in part of the garden. Frost usually occurs here about this time and much of the veggie garden was past its prime. Now, we have warmer weather and I just cannot complain about that frost!

It was 71°f this afternoon. Blue sky, sunshine ... the gentlest of breezes. Zephyrs, that's right!

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We went camping it was 58 degrees each night. Pull up the blankets and stay warm as toast all might. Full moon every night, star show was amazing, lots of cricket sounds all night long. Camp fire was nice too. No rain in the forecast for another week and 80 degrees every day. The squirrels and crows wake us up every morning. Bacon, eggs, toast, hash browns, coffee, every morning wow breakfast sure is good.

A HATE to be an advertisement for any company but has anyone tried SMUCKERS low sugar jelly. My wife bought this jelly a month ago I have been putting off eating it but this is all we had on this camping trip. WOW I was shocked how good the flavor is. I swear it tastes like it has 5 times more flavor that other jelly. I won't be buying anymore jelly with sugar. When you make jelly you boil away all the water I guess concentrated flavor with no add sugar that is why the flavor taste like natural fruit.

applestar
Mod

Finally got to see the moon -- been trying to catch a glimpse of it for last three nights. Gorgeous!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

A strange end to the growing season: I don't know how many light frosts we have had! There may have been continuous morning frost since Tuesday. I've kinda lost count. Six mornings! Counting 9/22, that is 7 ... Not on every day have the sprinklers been running to try to limit the effects. LIGHT ... I have to emphasize that ;).

There are garden plants that you might expect to be dead that are not. Zucchini is only lightly damaged. Tomato plants are, too. I have dahlias!

Cucumbers were the first to go. I've seen that before. The other vines are toast, too. The bush beans are severely damaged but it's been so many days, it would almost make sense to check to see if there are beans developing under those crisp leaves.

Steve

Gary and RainbowGardener, how is your weather today?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Here we are going into the second week of October and we still are getting in the mid to upper 80's daily with night time temperatures only 10 degrees cooler. Cooler weather is WAY overdue as far as I'm concerned.

I'm tired of air so heavy with humidity that it feels like you need to cut your way through it when outside.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

But Gumbo!

NOLA dodged Hurricane Nate!

I bet that's not true with Lakngulf in the middle of Alabama.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It is getting cooler the nights are around 65-69 degrees. Today it is going up to around 82 and it is overcast. It has been drizzling to heavy rain for brief periods in the afternoons for a few days. No wind right now. It will probably rain from the convection heating again this afternoon. All in all a pretty good October day. Now, if I can just get some work done. I am on my second load of laundry and I have changed a light bulb that burned out while I was in the laundry room. So far, it is a decent start.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:But Gumbo!

NOLA dodged Hurricane Nate!

I bet that's not true with Lakngulf in the middle of Alabama.

Steve

Yes we did and I'm know folks in Mississippi got battered and I can assume so for Alabama, especially along the coastal area.

My nephew got married yesterday afternoon in the French Quarter at a very nice venue and the venue moved the wedding up 4 hours due to the possibility of the storm hitting. It was a no-show and that was a good thing for the city.

Today my brother-in-law held an after wedding party at his house and had 3 large briskets, 3 Boston Butts, 9 chickens he smoked and I brought a huge container of potato salad, another large container of vegetable salad, jars of pepper jelly, Philly Cream Cheese and crackers and someone else brought a large container of pasta salad. Then there was the wine, beer, sodas, water, etc. to finish it off. But man, was it hot with no breeze to speak of and fairly high humidity, but the 50 or so folks in attendance didn't really seem to mind much.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”