applestar
Mod

2017 What's the weather like where you are?

This is an on-going topic for year 2017. I really should have started one for this year sooner -- sorry about that.

I locked the old one to avoid confusion. :wink:

applestar
Mod

Last time I was at Hmart they had bubble tea giant tapioca pearls on sale in an aisle-end display, so even though I had rejected them in the past for the artificial ingredients, I caved and bought them "as a treat for the winter holidays".

Today, it's looking like this --

Image 18°F

...so it seemed like a good day to make hot "Oolong milk bubble tea" with the black tapioca pearls. DDs' first foray into drinking any kind of tea, and they love this. :D

...as you can see, I also made some of the clear and colored pearls for "Mango-Kefir bubble 'tea'" :()

applestar
Mod

+13°F here. Wind chill is 8°.... 34°F in my "Garage V8 Nursery" hoping it won't freeze.... :bouncey: (...but "Siberia" -- another shoplit area in the garage in the uninsulated half and closer to the garage door is probably below freezing already. Test bucket of water next to the wall was already frozen yesterday.)

applestar
Mod

Screenshot of the weathermap taken at 8am est this morning :eek:
Attachments
IMG_1223.JPG

imafan26
Mod

According to that map it is 66 average somewhere in Hawaii. Right now in Mililani it is actually 57 degrees. The sun is up now and it looks like it will be a sunny day 8)

applestar
Mod

I'm posting the N. American weather/temp map one more time this morning to compare with the last one. This time, I was able to zoom in such a way to get separate readings for two of the Hawaiian islands. (Looks like another "cold" day for you @imafan) For some weird reason, when they are merged into one, the temp shown is a higher one, not the average or mean between them. Go figure. :?

It was 31.6°F in my "Garage V8 Nursery" this morning.... :shock: (....probably down to 20's in "Siberia" -- I'm not attempting to overwinter any peppers in the garage this year -- they are all in the house trying to survive mite issues :roll: -- but this is when/why I usually start losing the dormant ones when kept in the garage).
Attachments
IMG_1230.JPG

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Cold enough here. We just had three nights in the teens, and that is COLD for us. My tomatoes on the pier finally succumbed.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The nearest Weather Underground station says it's -1°f right now. For some reason, I have all my outdoor thermometers shut away in cabinets, waiting to go in the greenhouse, etc. for when I begin trying to grow some things :).

The outdoor air is heavy with the cold. The storm door is also heavy to open because that pneumatic cylinder is so sluggish that it takes extra effort ... and, more time for it to close ... after I passed on my way to the frozen compost bucket.

Lots of snow here but, probably, about average - a very good thing considering the possibility of drought. The berms along my driveway are above 3', as measured by my picket fence. I'd like to take that off in panels and paint them in the garage this winter but that will have to wait for some warmth.

Imafan, I hope that there is some spare tropical heat and "fruit" because the "Pineapple Express" is supposed to be on its way! We will see what 40° and some rain will do with all this snow, in a couple of days ..!

Steve

pomerinke
Cool Member

Sun set about 2 hours ago and it's a nice 64 (18C) right now.
This thread got me curious, so I looked up December, It only got below 50 once, on December 17.
The ocean temperature is still hanging about 75, but that's been slowly dropping. Going into mid-February it'll start picking back up again, right about cherry blossom time.
Yesterday was also the first day the sunset has been at 6 pm or later. The days are getting longer guys! It'll warm up soon enough.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Going to be another beautiful day today with temperatures in the mid 70's, low (for us) humidity and clear skies with lots of sunshine. We did have 2 nights of below freezing weather early last week that passed quickly and it got back to regular programming within a day or so afterwards.

I'm heading to the garden center to pick up a few herb plants to put in the ground and a few more plants already started to take the place of the cauliflower and cabbage that is now gone. I'm thinking 6 more of each will work out nicely.

imafan26
Mod

When I got up it was degrees and it has warmed up to 75 now. It is a nice sunny day. Humidity is up to 81 percent so I am actually breaking a sweat.

I got a few days off together so I was able to get a couple of days together to work in the yard. I finally weed whacked the thigh high weeds in front and got almost half of the back yard weeds cut back. There are places there that I haven't seen in months.

I still have a lot of stuff to do but I am making progress. I just hope I can keep it from becoming a jungle again.

I still have to clean up the veggie garden and get the neighbors plants off my orchid bench and fix it again. Two of the three benches have fallen because of the weight of the plants on the roof.

I have started to round up some of persistent weeds that never seem to die.

I have to find time to work on the sprinkler system, and I have to repot a lot of plants.

I need more days like this.

imafan26
Mod

It is 59 degrees; the sun isn't up yet, but this is colder than I want be in my shorts and long sleeves.

pow wow

Chinook today, windy right now and +11C or 52F

pomerinke
Cool Member

It's been a little rainy but warm the last couple of days. I've had the balcony doors open to get a breeze through the apartment.
We've had such a warm winter I think summer is going to get here sooner than usual.
It'll be interesting to see how that affects the typhoons this year. Last year was very strange. There was only one storm that hit Okinawa Island directly. Yearly average is 6-10.

pow wow

Yesterday we had the most amazing Chinook Arch I've ever seen. Will be another warm one today and then the return of the Arctic air.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

If we weren't so likely to end up in a deficit for moisture this year, I'd try to make a deal with you to carry off some of what we've got. Snow-packed driveways, streets and sidewalks. If any ground/asphalt/concrete shows up, it's covered with ice at least 75% of the day. You know, it's a little amazing when you report such warm conditions north of this border, Pow Wow.

Right now, we must be coming out of an air stagnation advisory. Air quality is right in the middle of Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups. The Weather Service says that we have to get into Monday before there's another chance of a snow storm but this thick air seems to be moving off, right now! The dull sameness, that seemed endless, may actually end. Hours and hours of freezing fog ... couple days ago it was 30°f at dawn and 33° for a high ...

Strange to be hoping for more snow - berms are still above my 3' fence along the driveway where they've been for weeks. Nothing "alpine" with the feel of things around here. It's been more like living under the lid of my Kenmore freezer!

I went out to try to remove some of the ice from the parking area in front of the house. It didn't move too well but will serve for an activity instead of my nearly meaningless indoor exercise program during this time of the year and proper advantage being taken for this 32°f afternoon. Koff!

Steve

pow wow

Hi Steve,
Southern Alberta along the Rockies is wacky temp. territory. Several years ago we were 68F on Christmas day but by the evening of the 26th we were at 5F. This Christmas I was shoveling snow every day through the holidays.
Last edited by pow wow on Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Yes.

Montana has that wacky temperature scenario, Pow Wow.

I think there might be some record that I once read about for one of the weather stations there during a Chinook ... Yeah, here is what Wikipedia has to say: "The greatest recorded temperature change in 24 hours was caused by Chinook winds on January 15, 1972, in Loma, Montana; the temperature rose from -48 to 9 °C (-54 to 49 °F)." Loma is more out in central MT and not quite in the mountain valleys, nearby. But, how about that!?

Steve

pow wow

Well that's the wackiest, I must admit!!

applestar
Mod

When sun is shining and it's raining at the same time, it's called "sun shower" right? Well, we are currently experiencing sun Flurry :D

pomerinke
Cool Member

Sun flurry sounds fun!

Where I'm from, what you call a sun shower we call "devil's rain". I think it's more fun to call it that!

applestar
Mod

It was 68°F around noon on Wed -- saw snowdrops had bloomed in our front doorstep garden (DH even saw a crocus blooming in the front island bed) -- this morning's 6am feels like forecast is 8°F..... :roll:

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Yesterday morning -22 with a windchill of -50. This morning 35 above zero. Crazy weather, just makes the roads warm so the snow sticks when it blows across and makes ice. We are suppose to have 30's all this week now. So I thought I best take a couple pictures of my garden. We have had some other days with melting, so the snow has settled some. The fence posts are my garden fence. The little red building is my garden shed. So I got a little wait, but it's not going to stop me from starting seeds on Sunday.
005.JPG
004.JPG
004.JPG (48.95 KiB) Viewed 8191 times
003.JPG
Look no weeds!!

imafan26
Mod

Its is 60 right now. No snow in sight.
Wow! the pictures are amazing but I am cold enough right now.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Seed starting?!

What are the gardeners doing in Devils Lake North Dakota, Sweetiepie?

You know, it's "devil take the hindmost" and I better not allow them get ahead of me!

;) Steve
where it was officially not freezing this morning, so where did all the ice between the snow berms come from?
Last edited by digitS' on Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I still think most gardeners in Devils Lake are ice fishing. So no worries.

Allyn
Green Thumb

The weather has been glorious here; sunny days and cool nights. Looking at the pictures from up north, I am so glad I'm not there anymore (until summer gets here, then I'll wish I was there.)

pow wow

We are finished with the snowfall and low temperatures for now. The snow was starting to melt yesterday and we will hit right around +68F in a few days.

Canada Geese trying to stay warm in the Bow River, the trail I made through to where I feed birds at the fish hatchery, and the backside of the Calgary Stampede grounds along the Elbow River and the rodeo grandstand.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

If you keep posting these beautiful Alberta pics, I may be forced to make another trip up that way this summer!

So, the Canada geese don't fly south for the winter, or are they south of where they would be in summer? Maybe they came down from the Northwest Territories?

imafan26
Mod

Its 67 degrees right now. I was up at 2:30 last night to the sound and sight of multiple lightening flashes and thunderbursts. My cat was running around trying to find a place to hide. It poured for about an hour and the road was flooded for a little bit. Good thing I live uphill so the water keeps going downhill.

We had our first sale of the year and my phone went off when it started pouring again and flashed the flood warning. It was a little late as the road was already disappearing under the rain water and the sump pump was also inundated. We did have a crowd of diehard people who came out anyway to brave the weather. I didn't sell much but I still ran out of the usuals. Cucumber and cilantro and I did manage to sell almost a tray to kale. We decided to leave everything until Monday to put it back since the rain wasn't letting up much.

On the drive home I had to fight my way through the puddles on the freeway.

It has been raining off and on and the sky is totally socked in, but it looks like most of the heavy rain has passed. Funny thing though, I was cold because I was wet, but during the storm there wasn't much wind and the rain was relatively warm. The wind is only starting to pick up again now.

It was still a good day. Since the crowd was small, I had time to walk around and I talked to the bonsai guys and found out I can get akadama and wire from him cheaper than amazon and he told me where I could get some turface locally. Now I just have to find the rest of my bonsai stuff. It is packed somewhere on the lanai.

I talked to someone else who is giving an organic pest control class next month and we talked about what is available for pest control and where some things could be found. He was looking for tanglefoot. I saw it at Ace and at Koolau Farmer's a while ago, but not recently. I know who doesn't have it so it eliminated some other vendors. I also got a lead on where to get some large pots. I just don't want to buy a sleeve so I may have to think about that one. I picked up some pepper seeds. Not bad for a rainy day.

pow wow

Taiji wrote:If you keep posting these beautiful Alberta pics, I may be forced to make another trip up that way this summer!

So, the Canada geese don't fly south for the winter, or are they south of where they would be in summer? Maybe they came down from the Northwest Territories?
I think most do fly further south but there are a few spots where the water doesn't freeze over around here. I just learned of a spot nearby where the Robins overwinter instead of heading south. I plant to walk over soon and have a look. It happens to be a little stream through the cemetery where my parents are buried.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

It's been in the upper 60's to lower 70's for a while now during the day and lows of upper 40's to 60's at night. With Mardi Gras just starting, this is great weather for all the parade goers and a treat for the out of town visitors coming in from more northern areas of the States. They are predicting rain for mid week, but that can change in a heartbeat being so close to the Gulf of Mexico and shifting weather patterns.

Mardi Gras Day, or Fat Tuesday, is on Feb. 28th this year and will once again signal the end of the Mardi Gras season with the following day being Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent, where many folks give up something they really like until Easter Sunday. We have an old saying here------"Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder." So whatever you give up should be something you really enjoy.

imafan26
Mod

I remember that the reason given for all the partying on Fat Tuesday was that people needed an excuse to use up all the lard, fat, and other stuff they were giving up for 6 weeks. Someone at work used to live there and she would make a King cake for us.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:I remember that the reason given for all the partying on Fat Tuesday was that people needed an excuse to use up all the lard, fat, and other stuff they were giving up for 6 weeks. Someone at work used to live there and she would make a King cake for us.

Bakeries here make a small fortune selling King Cakes leading up to Mardi Gras. Truth is, you can order them yearlong, but they soar in popularity during the Mardi Gras season, and a well made one is a real treat. Bakeries that are know for their King Cakes are usually so busy that long lines form before they open and they stay that way all day long.

If you ask any New Orleanian who makes the best one, you will get a half dozen or more answers to that question depending on the style of cake they like. My personal favorite is one from one of the several Randazzo's Bakery outlets, but Haydell's and Lawrence's also make a good one.

They have been making them with different "fillings" for many years now, but my favorite is the traditional one that is unfilled.

Hbrocato

Brrrr....you are all making me so cold even thinking about some of those temps. Here in Louisiana we've been having an unusually warm winter. It's been in the upper 70's to mid 80's for awhile now. To today is only expected to be a high of 68 though
The azaleas have been blooming like mad which makes me sad since Easter is still far away and I won't get those Easter pics in front of them with the kids. The tulip trees are almost all done blooming around town and in my neighborhood. (I think they're actually called oriental magnolias)
My knock out roses are blooming and my other rose bushes all have buds. The hydrangeas are starting to get more and more leafy.
It's all so bizzare to see this in February!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Hbrocato wrote:Brrrr....you are all making me so cold even thinking about some of those temps. Here in Louisiana we've been having an unusually warm winter. It's been in the upper 70's to mid 80's for awhile now. To today is only expected to be a high of 68 though
The azaleas have been blooming like mad which makes me sad since Easter is still far away and I won't get those Easter pics in front of them with the kids. The tulip trees are almost all done blooming around town and in my neighborhood. (I think they're actually called oriental magnolias)
My knock out roses are blooming and my other rose bushes all have buds. The hydrangeas are starting to get more and more leafy.
It's all so bizzare to see this in February!
My biggest issue with this type warm winter season is the proliferation of garden pests when it really gets warmed up. I've noticed a big increase in garden pests when we have these type weather conditions with very little cold weather this time of year.

Hbrocato

I really haven't seen the garden pests yet but the mosquitoes are eating me alive!

imafan26
Mod

It is 74 degrees and very windy. My pots are rolling around in the yard and my kaffir lime keeps getting blown down.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It was 75 degrees today and sunny. Normal for the date would be 56 degrees. We had terrible drought most of last year and we got so far behind in rainfall that we never really caught up. Since Nov. we've been getting some rain fairly regularly, but never a lot. So we still count as being in extreme drought and have pretty much the whole time since last May:

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

See that little red band across north georgia? That is me and that red dot has just been sitting over me for months and months.

Also all the flowering trees are blooming. Spring leaf out is nearly a month early! Below is a spring leaf anomaly map, showing how far ahead of normal the whole south east is at leafing out.

https://www.usanpn.org/data/spring

Much of the country is in a heat wave. We don't take it so seriously in Feb, because 75 degrees feels pretty nice. But that is 21 degrees above normal for me. If it were July and 22 degrees above normal we would be at 111 degrees!

February is likely to be another one in a long string of hottest months on record.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”