imafan26
Mod

Re: 2017 What's the weather like where you are?

Yesterday was nice and sunny. Today it has been raining most of the day with gusty winds. It is 68 degrees right now and it is still windy. I had to close some windows and the door.

imafan26
Mod

Its a new day. It is 68 degrees and cloudy with some scattered showers. Look out west coast. It looks like the storm is heading your way.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I think the storm broke up fairly well. Most of the precipitation fell on the 4th but not a lot then and 40°f temperatures melted the snow.

It's snowing again hard right now!

I was just thinking that yesterday, I'd reached the milestone where I didn't have to walk in the same 2' path thru the backyard every single time! The melting snow against the south wall and under the deciduous trees had opened up a wider passage for me to tread ... (of course, I could have shoveled an 8' wide path instead of a 2' path beginning in November.)

It's 4:30pm, 34°f, and dark, despite the falling white stuff. Okaaay, I really don't think I'll be shoveling a 2' wide path again from this storm. It looks like if the maximum forecast falls over the next 36 hours, it will be like 1½" but ... still!

Steve

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

March 2017 002.JPG
Our driveway.
006.JPG
My garden fence posts are about 6 ft tall.

We had a two day blizzard and took all of yesterday to get out. The snow on my garden is the most I have every seen and lows of -18 again tonight. I really have spring fever, was so hoping for nicer weather. At least with the winds of 60mph we kept power especially with the rain we had first.

applestar
Mod

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Had the 2nd warmest February on record. For the next week at least temps are forecast to be mid to upper 70's. So, today I planted 20 some seed potatoes, (red norland) and set out 2 cabbage and one broccoli. I do expect that it will frost again though.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

In Feb, 15 days of the month were 10 to 20+ degrees above average, some at record or near record highs. But here in March we are having some of the winteriest days of the year. Parts of Chattanooga are getting a little snow today, though not where I am in No. GA. Today we are having a high of 43 degrees, which is actually 18 degrees below average for the date. It is the kind of day that was typical in Cincinnati late winter- early spring: chilly, very damp, gray skies, cold that bites in and feels worse than the numbers sound. Intellicast says 43 right now, feels like 37.

We've had a couple of freezes lately. It's predicted to go down to 32 tonight. According to forecast we may actually get some snow accumulation tonight, so everyone is in panic mode, buying out the stores. After that we are predicted for 27, 24 !, 33 on the 14th, 15th, and 16th. 24 degrees is about as cold as it EVER gets around here.

We hardly had anything that felt like winter all winter, but we are getting a little bit of it here in March while it is almost spring. But after the 16th we have a big warm up and that's about at our average last frost date, so I am predicting we will be done with our brief, late winter.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Ummm

There is a little contrast between those "snowy" pictures ...

:) First afternoon here with temperatures above 50°f since 26 November. There is some flooding but I think that we are mostly okay.

About 2/3rds of my yard is bare of snow. There is a new storm a-coming but it looks like rain. Travel over the mountain passes looks okay but it's been difficult for the transportation departments to keep them open and several recent closures.

Steve

OliverWonderland
Newly Registered

What's the weather like? :x We still have a heavy rainy day here with lightning strikes and wind blows. :? Can't go somewhere! :roll: Such a bad a day. Hmmp! :|

Hopefully, tomorrow will fine. :)

applestar
Mod

It's 21°F here right now and will get colder. Today's forecasted high will be 27°F late in the afternoon.

We didn't get the predicted snow accumulation yesterday, being in the transition zone just around freezing point. Freezing rain/mix then snow -- my street looked slick and frozen solid around lunch time, though it had warmed enough by late afternoon for them to plow up all the slush to the side of the street.

My mom said her earliest ornamental cherries had flower buds that were turning pink -- probably got covered by the slushy frozen rain that turned to snow yesterday -- she had power outages in the area -- then this overnight hard freeze..... :(

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

peaches and plums were maybe a bit past full bloom - 17F this morning. hoping the 1-year-from-grafting pears we put in the orchard (which were starting to break bud) make it through. back to 'normallish' weather by the end of the week.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No snow, but we are having a cold snap. 24 last night and tonight, then we start warming up again. But 24 is very cold for here.

Chickens seem to be surviving it fine. The coop is unheated. We close them up in the nest box at night with lots of straw. I guess six chickens make enough body heat to get them through. They stay all cuddled up in a pile. By sunup they are eager to come out and eat and drink, even though it is still chilly.

ACW

London today was lovely ,my apple tree raspberries and black currants are bursting into bud, the lawn was dry so its had its first cut of the year ,Garlic planted in the fall is looking good .Broad beans (Fava) are just poking through ,my purple sprouting brocoli is beginning to head up .
Yes its spring in London !

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The first 60°f day in ... forever ;).

Wind gusts to 40mph. Rain this morning

With all that, I could pick up the remaining (November) snow in my yard and throw it over the fence ;). Okay, I won't do that.

Steve

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Wow. After 2 weeks of 75 to 80 degree weather, this coming Wed and Thurs it's expected to drop 25 to 30 degrees down from that with some rain/snow expected. It's been 15 to 20 degrees above normal.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sigh! Low temps the next 3 nights: 40, 36, 42 !

I have tomatoes and peppers and basil planted all over the yard :( Until today we've been having highs in the 70's and even 80. This time of year always makes me crazy. I've been out covering things the best I could with straw and leaves, plastic bags, plant pots, buckets. Garden's looking a little odd right now, but hopefully everything will make it.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

I am sighing too! We got another 11 inches of snow yesterday morning in just 2 hours. Was not expecting that. It nicely recovered our huge snowbanks that still remain. Low of 27 last night so minimal melting. My son who only lives 3 hours south of me, had to rub it in that they haven't had snow since January and it was a balmy 50 some degrees there with forcasts into the 70's for Saturday. I think I live in a snow globe.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow ten days ago lows were down near freezing. But that was a short term cold snap after lots of warm weather and then it bounced right back. Highs now in the high 70's, low 80's, lows mostly right around 60. But here's what's most important:

US Drought Monitor for 4/11:

Less than one tenth of one percent of the country is still in extreme drought. See that one teeny red dot in No GA? That is pretty much sitting right on top of me. You might not realize it if you weren't paying attention. Everything is looking green. We have had some rains and are predicted for some more next week. But never very much. Never even normal for a month, much less catching up. We have had a string of sunny days around 80 degrees. I was out watering today. This time of year in this area, I should not have to water! But all the stuff I've been planting was wilting...

applestar
Mod

I guess you might need to put some serious thoughts into automating the irrigation scheme. I need to inspect and inventory my hoses, if they need replacing, I might work in some upgrades. Not having much confidence in my energy levels this season so may need to have the garden take care of itself more with less daily energy investment from me....

It went up to 88 °F today, and tonight's low is only supposed to go down to 60, though it might get a few degrees lower. I was SO tempted to move a bunch of plants and seedlings out altogether. But Tues-Wed low forecast is only 41°F -- potentially could go down as low as 37°F with typical difference in the actual. :?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Irrigation scheme? :) :shock: My irrigation scheme is me, a hose, and a bucket!

applestar
Mod

:lol: Image

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

:wink: July, August and September of last year had an "official".64 of an inch of precipitation, where I live. Usually there is more but 1.5 inches is about what can be expected during those 3 months. Often the rainstorms are so minor that little water actually moves into the soil but simply evaporates, instead.

With large gardens on rocky soil, there is absolutely no way that I could grow most any vegetable without irrigation. My plan is to put about 1.5 inches of water on the garden each week. Any rain is mostly just ignored in that calculation since that's 3 month's precipitation in 1 week. It's a lot of water, about 1 gallon of water per square foot.

At one time, the water was not turned on for a lengthy time in one garden. It was my smaller garden but nearly 2,500 square feet. I considered showing up with the pickup bed filled with what water I could carry in 55 gallon barrels. That would be 45 barrels in 1 week at that garden! Move that much water by truck and by hand? It would be a monumental task!

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Right now it is 68 degees and somewhat overcast but the sun and some blue sky are peeking through. The forecast is for 40% chance of rain. The man with the umbrella is out, and he is never wrong. Its going to rain but it might be like yesterday when it poured and stopped three times.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Our temperatures have been fluctuating between the mid 70's to mid 80's during the day and into the 60's at night. We had some hard rains pass through here today that got me to take a break from painting my house's exterior. No sense seeing $75 a gallon paint running down the driveway. I did get into my shop to repair some screen frames and rescreen them to hang once they are painted with the final coat.

Don't need to water the garden for several days now with all the rain we had. I'm picking bush green beans like crazy and it won't be long before I have more cucumbers than I can possibly eat.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We got some much needed rain over night!

AND yesterday we turned off the furnace and took all the storm windows down! I love it when we can open up the house again. It feels so fresh and airy. (We have the old fashioned kind of storms that you have to take all the way out and store somewhere and then put back in, in the fall. Bit of a pain, but once installed they actually work quite well. It does mean we can't just open the house up because we get some nice days when it will be getting cold again.)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I too love opening my house to allow fresh air in to freshen things up a bit. My old house has functioning shutters on the windows and all my screens are on the inside of the house and move up and down on the window frames. To open the shutters you have to first raise the screen to the upper level of the window, unlock and open the window, unlock the shutters and open them, then pull the screen back down to the lower half of the double hung wooden windows.

I also have a nice transom window over the back door that opens inward and also one over the front door that also opens inward, along with 2 side windows on the front door assembly. With my 10 1/2 ft. ceilings, plaster walls and house situated where only the front and back get the brunt of the sun, I can use my windows for a few months a year. The only issue I have is the ballpark half a block away that has a dirt infield that the people who keep it up tend to run a grate over it a few times a week to level it off and that kicks up considerable dust when it is dry. If I leave my windows open for a couple days, the entire house needs to be dusted------and that is a PITA sometimes.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I will see your baseball field and raise you a horse ranch! :) Right behind our back fence is a riding ring for a horse ranch! Last year when we had so much drought, the horses in the riding ring stirred up clouds of dust!! All our windows have screens, but the dust particles are very fine and come right through and settle on everything.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

At least my baseball field doesn't smell of horse manure and urine, just beer and sweat. Wait, I think you have the better deal.

applestar
Mod

Wah! It started raining buckets!! Left my oldest tomato seedlings outside :shock: Lightning struck just around the corner -- 2 blocks away :eek: ...don't think I'm going out there....

imafan26
Mod

Its been raining for the past three days. It is 71 degrees and no wind. The rain is warm and it is muggy without a breeze.

The weeds are coming up all over the place.

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

001.JPG

I just looked at my last post and it was more snow. Today more snow, I would just like to get past winter. Unfortunately we pretty much go from winter to summer and back to winter. Spring and Fall only last a week. Ugh! :eek:

applestar
Mod

Ha. I can't believe I'm looking at sweetiepie's snowfall photo :shock:

Yesterday's high was 86°F, today right now, it's 52°F and forecast is for 43°F Thursday pre-dawn. :roll:

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Ha. I can't believe I'm looking at sweetiepie's snowfall photo :shock:

Yesterday's high was 86°F, today right now, it's 52°F and forecast is for 43°F Thursday pre-dawn. :roll:
HaHa, We finally hit 55 on Saturday and I was at my son's track meet and we both burned horribly. Lows are at least above freezing now. I started my peppers when I usually do but for some reason they are maturing faster than years past and are trying to blossom. I still need to wait for May 22 before I can plant. Oh, well they will do fine, I am sure.

applestar
Mod

High of high 50's - low 60's and low of 40's-50's for the next 10 days. Looks like we're going to have extended spring temps afterall. Good for the cool weather stuff, but now I have to decide what to do with the warm weather stuff. I think I will still start planting tomatoes....

Taiji
Greener Thumb

30 plus degree drop in daytime temps coming from what it was Friday. Nightime temps will be close to freezing. Tomorrow night/early Monday morn. will be the worst. It's gonna be close. Gotta get out the blankets and flannel sheets. (not for me, for the tomatoes and potatoes!) I pushed the envelope again.

imafan26
Mod

It is hard for me to think of any place still having snow or temps in the 50's. We had a lot of rain, but it was warm rain. The temperatures were still in 66-86 degrees, It feels hotter with the humidity and especially with the Kona winds. Today it was breezy, leaves came blowing through the door, everytime it opened. More rain is forcated for Monday and Tuesday. The weeds are loving it.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

We've been getting some unseasonably cooler than normal weather the past few days, which is welcome by me. It has gotten down as low as the upper 50's to lower 60's on a few nights and the daytime temperatures are in the mid to upper 70's this week. That is almost 10 degrees off our normal temperatures this time of year. I know it is short-lived, so I will enjoy it while it lasts.

imafan26
Mod

Well, as predicted. The Kona weather is back and it poured this afternoon just as I was getting off work. I had to buy an umbrella because my umbrella was in the car and it had been pouring for half an hour without letting up. It took another two hours after I got home for it to stop.

MOFishin

Missouri was recently in the news for our flooding. More storms coming tonight or tomorrow. My area is far enough from the major rivers to not have any catastrophic flooding. Today is easily the hottest day of the year so far. I'm taking a break from gardening right at the moment. Trying to get a lot done today before more rain comes.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We here in this corner of the US are still ahead of Devil's Lake, ND for spring warmth according to the Weather Service!

(But, not the other North Dakota cities ~
link)

This week, more than one day should be above 70°f. Soon, there will be more of those days in 2017 than I can count on the digitS' of one hand. Sunshine!

Steve :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”