fromlawntofood
Newly Registered

Re: 2017 What's the weather like where you are?

Very cold! Rainy too. Ready for spring to come back around. And the wind is horrendous!

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees right now. It is very wet and hazy. It has been raining most of the day, sometimes heavy other times just a drizzle. More rain in the forecast with a flood watch in effect for possible thunderstorms. Some of the road have some big puddles that cars have had to wade through. Not much wind so nothing is falling yet. A good day to stay in side with a nice bowl of hot soup or chocolate.

smokeeater360

We are sitting at a very cool -4. Light snow cover on the ground.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are getting the same cold snap as most of the eastern half of the country. Starting tomorrow, night time lows will be in the teens for six nights in a row. Very unusual for us and some of those are near record cold. Two of those days the high temperature for the day never gets above freezing!! The historic averages I look at gives record lows and record highs, but it doesn't say what is the lowest High temperature we have had. I would guess that staying below freezing for the high is very unusual around here, whether or not a record.

But one of the big perks of being retired is that I don't have to go out in it! (Except briefly to take care of chickens) And there's no snow in that forecast. So we will cuddle up indoors and wait this week out. Very hard on our solar production though, short cloudy, very cold days when the heat is running a lot. Not keeping up too well!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The Pacific Northwest has avoided most of those extremely cold temperatures but a fairly good storm rolled through. Crossing the Rockies in Montana should be quite an experience right now! Of course, it would have been even more exciting a day or two ago when all that snow was falling.

Right at my elevation of 2,000 feet, the snow was followed by a couple of hours of rain ..! Eeek! Temperatures hadn't been above freezing for about 2 weeks. The slush and puddles have now frozen in place! It looks like we will have at least another 5 days with no thawing and any chance of hitting that warmer temperature will probably just mean - more snow! Snow on ice ... as the Weather Service says, take it nice and slow.

I haven't reached anything close to the snow storage problems I am dealing with at times. It's good that even at this lower elevation that there is some insulating snow, in my yard and elsewhere. And, plenty of snow at higher elevations!

Steve

applestar
Mod

We had a couple of inches of powder snow. With highs in the 20’s and lows in teens with windchill in the single digits, not much has melted and there is even a coat of snow on my street — not Enough for the snowplows to be deployed.

In a way I like days like this — with White everywhere, light coming in through the condensation and frost on the windows is very bright — much Better than the dreary and wan winter days.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I agree, applestar. Love the crisp air, clean smell, and white vistas, especially if there is a blue sky. I actually even like ice storms, as long as I'm able to stay off the roads and go inside whenever I want. What digit is describing could bring what I only witnessed infrequently: snow with a thick ice coat on top, then more snow, more melt with subsequent ice and then snow again. The first time I really saw that was in Montreal, and the layers of snow and ice and snow and ice were numerous and rather like an archaeological dig. Then I lived with it in Boston a few times, and decided the treasures of discards, soot, and dog poop that would accumulate in the snow banks made the melt so very unpleasant. But yeah, I love the sound muffling effect of a snow bound day. Less traffic, distant sounds quiet, close sounds clarion clear.

We're somewhat unpleasantly cool today. I was out in t-shirt, jeans, and flipflops, for a couple of rounds on the small property, checking out the retention pond, looking for leaf bud, wildlife, etc. After fifteen minutes, and seeing that all signs of life were sensibly dormant, I came back in. I guarantee there are people on the beach today. I went on Christmas, got my feet wet, met a couple from the northeast who had gone in the water briefly and we agree it was kinda like a summer's day in New England surf. Low 60's F maybe. Air temp in the 50's. It felt like the mid 40's here today.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”