savannah920
Newly Registered

uprooting bulbs to move out of state

We just found out that my husband is being transferred for his job to Washington State (We currently live in Utah) I have some bulbs that were planted last fall that are starting to come up right now (just barely poking out of the ground) I was just wondering if there is any way to dig them up to take them with me, or if it is a lost cause and I should just leave them here. I am not much of a gardener so I don't know if that is something that can be done or how to go about doing it if it can.
your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Ouch, tough question. I guess if you have just learned of the transfer you've got a little time.

Those bulbs have an internal clock so to speak. Dig them up right now after they've started active growth and I suspect you might not be able to successfully transplant them at your new home. Hopefully you've probably got a few months before you move so why not let them put on their spring show for you and then re-evaluate where they are in their cycle before making a decision to leave them behind or take them with.

It would help to know what kinds of bulbs you have planted.

lillgardnr

"shoot heck" :? .... I don't know much about bulbs either, but if I were moving I think I would try to take them with me too.... if they don't make it... what do you loose?....best to try and fail... :D right???

savannah920
Newly Registered

They are daffodils. Unfortunately, it is an emergency movefor some damae control in the company that the last person in his possition is responsible for. We will be moving in 2 1/2 weeks. (Or at least he will be leaving in 2 12 weeks, we will be following about a week later)

lillgardnr

I had a few daffodils where I hated them this year...didn't realize until after they were flowering....so I moved them...their still doing fine the flowers didn't even wilt...I just made sure the roots of the bulb didn't get exposed to light...good luck :wink:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Two and a half weeks and your husband takes off??? I think I'd cry.

If you run out of time and aren't able to dig them up or if you are able to dig then up and transplant them and they don't survive (don't see this as humanly possible with only 3.5 weeks to pack up your life and get out), there's an affordable source for bulbs that you may not be aware of out there-
https://www.vanengelen.com/

I'll cross my fingers and my toes for you that all goes as smoothly as possible.

savannah920
Newly Registered

Thank you for all of your help! I just read over my last post and saw all of the typos. my word I must have been tired! I'll cross my fingers and hope all goes well! Thank you for the link for the flower bulbs. I am 4 months pregnant, so that doesn't help much with the quick move, but thank goodness my parents are both over here every day helping us pack up everything.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I am 4 months pregnant
Congratulations! Now rest a lot and let your mom and dad keep packing and if you must do any gardening in the soil, wear gloves and wash your hands when you are done! There seem to be an awful lot of stray cats around and Toxo is really something that is easy enough to avoid. Have you picked any names for your new baby? Will you be posting photos of the newest little gardener in the savannah920 family this fall for everyone to see? This is really exciting, new babies are awesome.

lillgardnr

it must be something in the air :lol: , I just found out yesterday that my husband and I are expecting too.... :lol:

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Congratulations to you too! Now you go and rest a lot and keep your hands out of soil unless you have gloves on and wash your hands really well when you are done! Have you picked any names for your new baby? Hopefully you both will be posting photos of the newest little gardeners for everyone to see! This is wonderful! I live in an aging neighborhood and there are no young people who have babies here.

lillgardnr

living out here in the country there aren't a lot of kids around here either, but with the three we already have , this baby surly wont get lonely

imagardener2

Congratulations savannah920 and lillgardnr! Hope you and your babies will be happy and healthy!

Wow, Utah to Washington State. Talk about culture and environment shock!

We dug some Narcissus 'Ziva' up out of the front yard one winter (and in South Texas I use that term loosely) and moved them to a container in the back yard; they never knew they had been moved. The trick is to dig your bulbs up with lots of soil around them so that the roots aren't bruised or disturbed. Do that and I bet you won't have any problems with yours either.

And talking about living in an aging neighborhood...
For quite a few years all my neighbors had older children (grown & gone) like us and my grandbabies live too far away to garden with me. Then a few months ago a family with 5 children moved in across the street. Come to find out they wanted to learn to garden!

This is 4 of them after they helped me deep dig and completely replant my front flower bed.
[url=https://www.geocities.com/d_m_g_s/myspace/AGF00006.JPG][img]https://bp2.blogger.com/_JQp3kTTGrDw/R8-ZlkOLKRI/AAAAAAAAAKk/TO_D572BuKI/s320/AGF00006a.jpg[/img][/url]

What a joy!!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That is an awesome photo! You lucky duck you. We have no children anywhere around us. My husband used to joke that the child catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang must have retired somewhere around us.

Those kids are very lucky to have you as a neighbor.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”