evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Copper thickness for labels?

I am thinking of buying a sheet of copper to cut up into rectangles for labelling, but what thickness do I need to buy? Anyone have any idea?

imafan26
Mod

Why not just buy the copper labels.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosmere-K444-Sma ... B0078IF63I

I had copper labels a long time ago. I found them hard to read so I switched to a different kind of label. It was cheaper too.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Thanks imafan, that is just not affordable. That's why I am buying my own. I decided that even with the depressed copper price to buy aluminium instead. I have been quoted for 0.5mm, which I really hope is ok. When I get it I will post photos.

applestar
Mod

I wouldn't have been able to help -- I have no idea about metal thicknesses. But have you tried cutting up aluminum soda and beer cans as a trial? I have heard that aluminum house siding/cladding can work, too (albeit much thicker -- supposedly more durable and permanent).

I've never tried because they always warn that the edges are sharp and need to be filed/sanded smooth and you have to be careful.... It all sounded too scary.

I have read that metal labels marked by depressing can be made more legible by working.rubbing black graphite.pencil shaving into the writing, then spray coating with clear urethane (I think is what the spray was -- something clear at any rate... maybe acrylic) With copper, oxidation creates some color difference between the flat surface and the writing, too.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

It might be an option to try beer cans. Pity my husband's craft beer collection is all glass! That aluminium is plasticised but I am sure would work anyway.

Also, I thought of using shoe polish because it's a bit greasy but my boss says that permanent marker works on metal surfaces when they are a bit oxidised and stays for years. I am sure the graphite does too for the same reasons (a place for the substance to adhere). I will have it cut into strips and only use tin snips for the short sides. I'll probably have to file a bit to keep it from being too rough. Copper maybe less sharp as it is so soft. I'll keep you all posted ;)

imafan26
Mod

Around here copper would be more expensive to buy than the labels. The labels last a long time but they are not that easy to read, the light has to hit them the right way.

There are aluminum labels available too. The cans or even pie tins sound like they might work. For me it is cheaper to buy labels.
I used to label plants in the yard with markers. I had both the aluminum and copper labels. Now, I don't really use them. I do label individual plants like orchids and garden plants. For orchids I use old blinds or reuse old labels. The new labels are not very good so I use plastic knives for most of the potted plants I need to identify and a grease pencil.
https://www.amazon.com/Amekron-Impress- ... B00U52ZIXM

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Shew, copper is expensive but since the makers of the labels have to buy it anyway it's definitely cheaper for me to buy my own. The copper in your labels might come from here so it would be silly to reimport the labels!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”