Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Bulbs

I picked up my bulbs (tulips, etc) and planted them yesterday. We are not cold at this time. I had to pot them and am worried, as I started reading I should refrigerate them to 40'sh degrees for 12 weeks before planting them. Should I dig them up and throw them in the fridge for 3 months?

pow wow

Are they for pots outside? If so, can you bury the pots and lift them in the spring. I only give tulips the cold treatment if I am trying to force them to bloom indoors. I am not familiar with your winters but my problem in the constant freezing and thawing from Chinooks all winter. Anything in pots won't generally survive that. So I would have to bury a planted pot of tulip bulbs and lift it in spring. Which I have done (with small trees) and it works well.

told2b

•In southern climates with mild winters, you need to buy pre-chilled bulbs or chill them yourself in the refrigerator for about 12 weeks before planting.

This info does not apply to you. You are Northern (Zone 7)

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Thanks. They are actually in baskets with cellophane to keep the water in the basket and not ooze out. I put drainage holes on the bottom. I will give them some water as needed til the freeze hairs. Could be early Dec through Early April. So right now they are 6 inches under in baskets, with temps tinkering in the 70* range. This is my first attempt and wanted to try baskets. It would be a bummer to see none come in the spring. Didn't want to plant them in the garden, since the garden gets watered daily. Hoping I have some luck come spring.

Thanks for all info on this topic.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Pow wow.... I'd hate to dirty the pots by putting them in the ground....but at the same time, I could put a garbage bag in the hole before placing the pot in the ground. Will have to toy with your idea. Thanks.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”