Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Tulips

I am trying to figure out what to do adding bulbs to my flowerbed soon. I'm new at this. Planting the bulbs is not so much the issue....it's what to do after they are done for the season. If the bulbs are in a full flowerbed, what do I do if I want to plant annuals in those spots that have bulbs underneath? By planting the bulbs, does that mean I have to keep those areas free of any in ground plants so no roots form nearby, or worse, right in the same spot? If so, what if I plant the bulbs in pots, the season ends, and I now have pots waiting til the following spring to come back up again? How will those bulbs do sitting in pots through the winter? I don't have a basement ar anywhere to store the pots.

Would it just be easier, considering my ? Dilemma ? to just treat the bulbs like annuals and replant new ones every autumn? What do most people do when their bulbs are in the ground and after they have done their thing in the spring? Will the bulbs be ok with annuals being planted in the same spot above them? It is something I have to consider before those bulbs go in the ground.

Thanks for any input here.
Rose

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The bulbs once they are dormant are fine with things, especially smallish things like annuals growing over top of them.

The issue is the "once they are dormant" part. If you want your tulips to come back next year, you have to let the leaves keep growing after the flowering is done. That is what gets energy for the bulb to be able to grow again. So you have to just leave the leaves until they get yellowed and wilting by themselves. Then you can cut them down and plant over the bulbs. If you have your tulips mixed in with other stuff, instead of just a bed of tulips, then the other stuff can help screen the tulip leaves. Or you can just plant something else in front of the dying tulip leaves.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Approximately how long will it take for the tulip leaves to yellow and wilt? Weeks?

Great info there, did not know that. I have the option of planting them in an area that may be shielded from upcoming perennials. I could probably work with that. Thanks

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Did a quick look up on caring for tulips and the recommendation is to not put them in an area that gets watered often. That sorta rules out my ideas. I want them, but I may have to buy new each year. They aren't expensive and I guess I can have fun each year with different types to admire in the spring. This yr I ordered them online, plenty to choose from. I read if you do plant new each year, don't plant the bulbs as deep?

So much to learn....first time gardener.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Mine in the ground have done very well when I've placed potted annuals over their spot once the foliage dies back. My tulips do well when planted near trees or in raised beds, as long as I can keep the squirrels, groundhogs and chipmunks from digging them up and eating them.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

One thing I am confusing myself with...in the event I choose to pot the bulbs and not carry them over to the next spring. I figure I have many potted annuals right now. Do I remove the annuals and plant the bulbs, then just leave the pots outside and they will come up in the early spring? Is it the same as putting them in the ground? Will they require watering through the autumn and winter? Should I leave the potted bulbs outside, or put them away, like in my shed, taking them out by March or so? Is simple rain or snow all they'll need while dormant in the pots? Then I will trade the bulbs (once the blooming period is over) for annuals again in the same pots and just keep trading off, remove the annuals and plant the bulbs again, new bulbs of course, come Autumn? Sounds like a doable system in my thinking.

Anyone?
Thanks so much. I actually don't mind buying new bulbs each Autumn and enjoying the chance at seeing new varieties each spring. I google these thoughts but can't seem to find the info online, hense my questions. Please help.

Rose

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

What I've done in my yard is plant the bulbs in the ground. Let them come up and do their thing. Let the foliage die naturally then remove it. Set the pot over the bulb area. Plant annuals or seeds in the pot.

I've never had luck growing spring bulbs in pots. They always turn to mush before blooming, no matter where they are wintered or how they are treated in the spring. Experimentation is getting to be too expensive to continue.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Both of you gave great advice. Thank you. I do plan on having several potted annuals. Plus I have garden statues. Both give me ways to hide the bulbs during their ugly period, and the potted annuals will keep the exact area of the bulbs from being watered all summer.

I think I'll try it in the ground this year and see what happens. I am afraid temps in the single digits could hurt the bulbs while sitting in a pot through winter.

Thanks so much for your help.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”