stewart64

Wasps nest in house roof

As title..don't seem to bother me even dealing with roses growing up adjoining wall. Could I get away with just leaving them alone now the year is almost through?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Yes. I've got a leave me alone and you get to live attitude concerning wasps. I even talk to mine. The only time I've ever been stung was when one was trapped under my clothes and once when hubby kicked their nest.

stewart64

I agree with you ButterflyLady29, wasps don't really hold much fear if you don't suffer a reaction. I once sliced through a nest the size of a football with a hedge trimmer and got stung about ten times....the thing with wasps stings is they are momentary intense pain but very little thereafter and no long term rash or lumps for those that don't get an immune reaction.

Flies, however, scare the life out of me, I have had a misshapen face and huge lumps over the years, they are silent and deadly.

However, having read that a wasps nest can reach the size of a small armchair and the fact I am having a roofer over the next few weeks has swung it for me. Tbh the activity is pretty intense...at least 100 wasps coming and going every minute. My neat mind, and the fact that it wouldn't be fair on the roofer has decided it. £63 for the local council.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I sure wouldn't want to risk anyone who was working on my house. Wasps would be gone if I couldn't move the nest. The best wasp killer I've found is WD-40. Yes, it's an off-label use which means it's not legal in the US but it works beautifully. It even kills wood boring bees in their nests in the wood. Also prevents future infestations in the same hole.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”