Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Purple fountain grass and extreme heat

We are having extreme heat in the NY area. Been giving extra care to my garden and watering extra. I have had great luck with my purple fountain grasses, especially those in full sun. Temps have been in the 90's with the real feel over 100. Dew point yesterday hit 81.

Yesterday one of my purple fountain grasses (5 ft high) is leaning at a good 45* angle. Looks quite alive, but sorta losing it. Today two others are leaning. I am sure it is the heat.

Will these grasses stand upright again once this heat ends? Curious if this heat is doing a slow kill here, with no chance at bouncing back? Anybody experience this? Extra watering daily on all plants and haven't lost any with this heat. I am shocked that a grass couldn't handle it. They thrived in the sun, but are tiring out in the heat. Any input here would be much appreciated. I am not sure if I have any chance of them coming back.

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Well, if anyone is interested, purple fountain grass will become top heavy and start to lean this time of year. You can stake them, or just cut them down. I'll try staking them. I called the garden center (Cheap Sams) and they helped me out.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”