BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Tiny Bromeliad Pup

Hi All :D I wasn't sure where to put bromeliad posts so I put it here. I have a very dried up and dead aechmea blue rain bromeliad. As I was about to throw it out I noticed a tiny little pup that looks pretty healthy. I know it's much too small to remove it from the mother plant but will it even continue to grow now that the mother plant is so incredibly dead? What should I do?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by BewilderedGreenyO.o on Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

I'm guessing the leaves died but the bottom part is alive and well which is why the small shoot began to grow from the bottom.

If you remove the leaves, it may damage the bottom part.

So I'd wait a little bit until the shoot grows bigger and stronger.

Looks amazing by the way :) good luck!

catgrass
Green Thumb

You can cut the dead growth off the mother plant, but leave the pup attached to the stump until it is bigger. Just use pruners or scissors to cut off the brown leaves. Make sure there is water in it's center cup.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Thanks so much for the replies. Is it possible for the pup to be alive even if the stem/stump of the mother is dead too?

imafan26
Mod

Why do you have it in a glass jar. Bromeliads only bloom once in their lifetime then put out pups around the base. Usually the mother plant lives for a while before it dries up and is removed. I think you should move the plant out of the jar, and plant it in cinders or rocks just to keep it stable. I think your root may be rotting because it was too soggy. Bromeliads are air plants. Roots are mainly for support and they should be watered in the cups (between the leaves) Bromeliads don't even have to be planted in the ground they just need to be propped up so they stay upright.

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

I put it in a glass jar in hopes that it would give the pup a bit more humidity and light so it would grow quicker as it was in a solid dark container that it was sold in before. I assumed it was either core rot or root rot so I took it out of the original container and out of the soil it was in hoping that it'd help but alas the mother plant dried up pretty quickly despite my efforts. Mother is clearly a goner just attempting to keep the pup alive if possible now.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”