Stephen111725

My flowers keep dying

I have tried 3 times to grow morning glory and each time they dies in the same way I started them inside and transplanted outside but the first two died so the third time I used a peat pot so if it was a transplant problem it wouldn't die but this third time I let the roots grow big in the pot and everything before I put it outside.

The way they die is the leaves shrivel and the whole plant dies. However the first two died on the same day I transplanted this one I did a few days ago and it's only now starting to die in the exact same way.

Bottom line, I'm pissed and I need some help. Anyone know anything?

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure why you are starting them inside. Once the weather is warm, morning glories should have no trouble growing from seeds where they are to grow. They do develop very large root system so you want to grow directly in the ground or in very large container. And of course provide substantial string support for them to climb.

If bunnies are an issue, be sure to protect them initially.

Stephen111725

No bunnies the leaves just get similar to toilet paper when it's wet

imafan26
Mod

Morning glories start better if the seed is scarified first, but they usually don't have a problem being started outside. In fact, here they are weedy so most people regret planting them because they will reseed. I think maybe you did not harden the plants off well enough before you took them outside.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

That was my thought exactly. Hardening off, the process in which plants are gradually acclimated from indoor to outdoor living. You have to harden plants off if they are started indoors.

As for morning glories, once you are successful in growing them outside you'll probably never have to replant. They reseed easily and quite enthusiastically.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”