Susan W
Greener Thumb

Tidbit about powdery mildew

I was checking on various remedies for powdery mildew, both for me and a customer at the market. In specifics, googled hydrogen peroxide and powdery mildew. Judging from options, is one of the go-to remedies for pot plants. Who knew?!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is also a good fungicide to use against many of the dreaded tomato diseases. Here is a link I posted in a previous thread, giving mixing amounts: https://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/ ... oxide.html

Another cheap and safe fungicide is baking soda. Potassium bicarbonate is even better, as it doesn't add sodium to the soil, and the potassium can be used by the plant. I spray my tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, melons, and beans once every 8-10 days, as a prophylactic, later in the day, when the sun is off of most of them.

laurie basler

I have been reading about Peroxide lately too. Is your experience with the 3% or 35% Hydrogen Peroxide. It looks to me that you can only get the 35% on line. I am reading the 35% is more economical.
I have some overgrown Rabbits Foot that could use this till I get it moved and thinned.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have used both. The 35% must be handled very carefully, as it will burn your skin immediately on contact, so you must use gloves, and the easiest and safest way I have found to measure it out is using a graduated pipette. When you get to the end of a bottle, you have to use measuring spoons, but the pipette is easier in the beginning.

imafan26
Mod

Hydrogen peroxide and cinnamon are natural fungicides.
I have used baking soda as a dessicant
Usually I prefer to use one of the oldest fungicides, fertilizers and soil amendment, sulfur. But it is hard to find wettable sulfer. Copper sulfate works well as a preventive or when used very early but a lot of copper can be toxic.

Neem can be used as a fungicide if it is the right kind of neem but it only works as a preventive. It does not seem to work for me as well as a cure. But , then only Bayer mite and disease control gave me some help with fungal and bacterial diseases after they appreared but it is a systemic so I only use it on roses.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hydrogen peroxide is frequently recommended against the powdery mildew. IME it works pretty well if you catch it early. Nothing much works against a well established case. The H2O2 you buy at the drugstore is 3% and you can spray that on straight out of the bottle.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”