Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Linny,
Some of them are absolutely beautiful. I could get hooked on these. I must read up on them to see if I have the patience and more importantly, the intelligence to try this.
If you are good with potted plants and have patience you can do it. There is a lot of time spent doing nothing except basic care, watering, fertilizing regularly and keeping an eye out for trouble. Most growers end up with more than a few trees so that they can spread their enthusiasm.

In your area you can grow species that I cannot at least not easily. I have some Ficus and a Live Oak that cannot tolerate the winters here. I tried an Olive once, not the true Olive but Budicia, but had no luck with it.

Be advised that most of those fine old trees that you see are collected, you are not likely to create something like that from small material. Keep an eye out for old landscape material that is being removed, these can make good bonsai. If/when you are ready, post in the bonsai forum.

Norm

Linny
Cool Member

Potted plants (at least the indoor kind) are about the only thing I am good with, so this is good news for me! I'm excited about this. Thanks again, and hope to see you in the Bonsai thread.

Linny
Cool Member

I planted the original "jiffy pot" sunflowers in the ground about a month ago. Had to cover them up three times to save them from frost! I knew I should have waited, but when we get this warm weather day after day, I cannot help myself. When I put them in the ground, I also, as suggested, planted the remaining seed I had in between them. Must have been twenty or so. The original plants are about five inches high and I think every one of the seed have come up and look great. Also as suggested, I blended some manure with leaves and have watered pretty frequently for now. My grandaughter is so excited! Hope to have pictures later this summer. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”