Do you have ticks in your garden? Do you see them outside or on you?

- Not at all (I would freak out)
60%
- Yes (How bad?)
20%
-- less than 1 per day or every other day on average
No votes
-- 1 to 3 per day or every other day on average
10%
-- 4 to 8 per day or every other day on average
No votes
-- 9 to over a dozen per day or every other day on average
10%

Total votes: 10
ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Re: Trying to get a relative perspective about my TICK issue

We've found a total of 3 this year. I don't freak out over them although my grown son does. So there was no appropriate answer for me either.

applestar
Mod

Heh. I think this is why I generally don't do polls. Sorry about the lack of appropriate response selection. IF I ever do one again, expect to see a long list of all possible responses. :lol:
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Coming from someone who has contracted Lyme both this June and the last... I do freak out when I find deer ticks! I'm pretty much doomed considering my hobbies are gardening and mountain biking in the woods with my dog. I shower as soon as possible when I get home and do a tick check, but I think they likely hide in my dogs long curly hair and crawl onto me in the night. The second time they couldn't test since I may forever test positive at this point but the reaction was identical so my doctor felt it was important to go ahead and treat for Lyme. I consider myself lucky that it's been caught early both times. The first time it looked like a bulls eye for maybe a day and not really as pronounced as you see in photos online and then it blistered and became a welt. Several people told me it was poison ivy and I've never had a reaction before so I believed them and let it grow for a week before finally seeing one of those "drop in" doctors. She gave me an antibiotic and when I asked what she thought it was she said she had no way of knowing but maybe a spider bite. The spot faded but after finishing the antibiotic it flared back up. I finally saw my doctor and he had me tested for Lyme and treated when it came back positive. I'm so thankful that my skin was responsive so that it didn't go untreated after the first misdiagnosis!

I've never seen a tick in my garden, but we definitely have found them on us while biking.
USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32
"The earth laughs in flowers" -Ralph Waldo Emerson

imafan26
Mod

There have been some Hawaii residents who contracted Lyme disease while on vacation in the mainland. In fact, the one I know was a hiker. Thankfully though, the type of tick that carries Lyme disease is not present here. Bigger problems here are Leptospirosis because people have built homes right up to the streams and waterways which are now polluted by rats and animals peeing in the water and you can get sick just swimming or wading in the water especially if you have a cut.
Happy gardening in Hawaii. Gardens are where people grow.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

It was a good poll though. And a good topic.
I've never paid much attention to ticks. I've been fortunate enough to never have one attach to me. And I've spent a lot of time in the woods.

Chiggers otoh are another story completely. They've been eating me alive this year. I've been spraying OFF on myself every day, sometimes 2x a day. I'll probably end up dying from an OFF overdose just trying to keep from scratching in embarrassing locations.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”