nltaff

watering can lament

Hi all! Last month as I was searching for... (remember not what), ran across some posts (remember not where) :oops: about watering cans. The poster was sadly lamenting that the old, Rubbermaid, 2 gallon watering can was no longer available. I own such a can. In fact, I own two of them.
Rmaid2gal.JPG
The poster had a picture that showed a can that was older than mine, yet, same design and function. I, too, have been searching to acquire more of these gems, so I set off doing a new search. I have to mention that these posts I found were from 2010. I figured some company somewhere must make something similar by now. So. Bing images took me where I wanted to go. A very similar can is available at the hardware store that begins with "true"! Bought two new cans that very day. Down side is, these old cans have been left out in the sun countless times, and the plastic has never degraded. However, I can tell right away, that if I leave my new cans in the sun, they will quickly deteriorate.
Tvalue.JPG
In use, the rose/flower did not seem to completely fill up to provide a full sprinkle. Rather, the water simply dribbled out the bottom. Hm :?:
Took off the rose and much to my surprise, as you can see the spout opening was very small.
newcanopening.JPG
My assistant, Grey, will now show you how we solved this problem:
modsneeded.JPG
She then reminds you to replace the cover on the end of the spout:
canrose.JPG
The can now works perfectly! And all that activity was just a bit too taxing for assistant, Grey!
Greyasleep.JPG
Ahh, the lazy days of summer are here! :cool:

applestar
Mod

You have a very able assistant :D

I'll have to remember that trick if I ever run into similar problem.

- MY problem is that I often lose or damage the removable threaded rose -- last one rolled off on the brick patio then I stepped on it, for example.

I saw a bunch of just the rose at a hardware store and bought one, but it didn't fit the watering can I had. I solved the problem by wrapping the spout and the thread with some Parafilm-M (soft waxy grafting tape) to increase the diameter. Now it fits and doesn't come off even when pouring a full can of water :P

BUT don't ever buy a watering can that doesn't have a removable rose -- those are a nightmare.

- I have another watering can with cool swiveling spout that lets you save storage space, but the rose on it is very hard to clean even though it IS removable -- the end of the spout is very narrow diameter (which is good and better than the other one for some use), but the threaded rose opening is correspondingly small, and it is an oval upturned rose.

- I always wanted a Smith-and-Hawken watering can, but theirs always seemed a bit too expensive no matter how much budget I had. At their store closing 1/2 off sale, I still couldn't bring myself to buy it, though I bought a bunch of other stuff. :roll: I've also been looking at Gardener's Supply catalog watering can for the past 20 years or so without ever actually buying it. :>

nltaff

That's my baby Grey! Persistently underfoot, maintaining her presence in the big, fat, middle (of EVERYTHING)!
Don't you just love all that expensive stuff in those catalogs? The English style cans with the inverted rose, and all the fancy cultivation tools? I'm just too negligent and abusive to my tools to warrant the expense!
And I know what you mean about the small-necked roses that won't let you get debris out of it. And they sometimes leak (I don't graft, so I use plumber's Teflon tape). That's what I like about these-just unscrew them and wash em out.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

At least your assistant Grey is helpful.
My bird assistant is not so helpful. He hides my keys and shoes, steals my popcorn and yells at me if I sleep too late. And he refuses to look for a job. He'd rather just be a freeloader.

nltaff

Must be some Big Bird. Somewhere on here, someone started a pet pictures thread...I searched for pet pictures, but I can't find it again. Have a pic of your filching bird?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

He doesn't really hide my keys and shoes. It's fun to blame him when I lose something. He does like popcorn, though. He had a hard time last night. The fireworks were hard for him.
image.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Baaaahahaha! I love this post!!!

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

imafan26
Mod

I found a metal watering can similar to this french watering can someone through out in the trash. It is somewhere in my garage. I do like the metal watering cans more than the plastic ones. The plastic watering can I have is similar to this one. It has a removable rose and the design of the rose waters plants very gently.
https://www.antiquaireonline.com/french- ... ring-cans/

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”