AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Canadian Online Nurseries?

Hey there,
As a gardener, living in Canada sucks :> (well, at least when you want to order plants online!) You see, in my area, there are not many nurseries or plant shops. There are a couple, but the prices are ridiculous (I'm talkin' seven bucks for a marigold here :eek: ). So, I often look for plants online. Buuuut, I can never find a company that is able to ship their plants internationaly or to Canada.

(I have no problem with ordering seeds online, it's only live plants that I'm looking for)

I do know that it is hard for nurseries to sell plants internationaly due to pests and insects on the plants. And to get a license it is very expensive.

Anybody know of a good company that sells to Canada?

imafan26
Mod

I don't know if this will help but I found a list of online nurseries in Canada. It would probably be easier to order from a Canadian company that way you don't have to go through customs and get the agricultural inspections as well. It is possible to do it but probably adds too much headaches and costs for companies to go through the trouble for small orders.

https://www.gardenlist.com/Canadian.html

I have the same problem. The main problem is the certification that nurseries require to ship to different states and out of the country. It is hard for me to find a nursery that will ship to Hawaii any live plants except for roses. And I get charged extra to remove soil from bare root plants. Usually I ask around locally for plants and try to get them that way. Sometimes even getting seeds can be hard. I ordered seeds from Thompson and Morgan not realizing they are in England. They shipped the seeds but my bank charged me $5 for an international transaction. Park seeds must really hate Hawaii business because they add $20 extra to any order from them even for one packet of seeds.

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Thank you for the list, imafan26! A lot of the links are really helpful. However, the problem is that most of the nurseries specialize in only one particular type of plant: tree, hostas, bulbs, etc. And the shipping is quite expensive.

If on the other hand one nursery specialized in all types of plants, I could buy everything I wanted at that one nursery and not have to go through all the trouble of buying at multiple nurseries.

But some of the links you game me are really good! :) Thanks!!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”