hhandkmom
Newly Registered

Saving a Poinsettia

Hello,

My husband came home on Christmas Eve with a very leggy poinsettia that had lots of neat-looking mottled bracts. It was really pretty while the bracts were strong, but now that it's past its prime, I am having trouble keeping it healthy. In the past I have been able to keep my poinsettias alive for at least a few years, and I have been able to get them to flower again, but this one is looking very different than others I have had. Also, I have always had good luck in reviving sick plants, but I'm not so sure about this one.

The bracts are falling away, and the leaves are a sort of spring green color rather than that nice, deep green. The stems are leggy, but most are reasonably firm (there is one that flops over, but it's bearing the heaviest bracts), and they, too, are a lighter green than I'd like to see. As the bracts are falling away, I am concerned that there will be too few leaves to support photosynthesis.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try?

Thanks for any ideas you might have!
Sue :)

Grey
Greener Thumb

I'm really new to poinsettias, much newer than you are, but maybe this site will help?

Maybe the heaviest bract that is bending over should just be trimmed off - new growth should develop at the cut site, right?

https://www.ag.uiuc.edu/~vista/html_pubs/point/point.htm

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”