AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

What and where do you get your soil?

I order bulk soil. Mainly garden soil, as I believe it is almost "all purpose" soil. As well as bulk chicken manure. And I sometimes buy bagged potting soil. And also I always have a bag or two of top soil.

For raised beds, I just mix chicken manure and garden soil.

For some of my potted plants (mainly peppers) I use a mix of mainly potting soil, add a tiny bit of garden mix and chicken manure.

As for the top soil...I use it whenever I just don't have enough soil and I need a "filler". I am not that picky when it comes to soil. If needed, I just take what's on hand.

I really like chicken manure, I like adding a bit to any soil mixture just to make it a little "richer".

I started buying bulk soil because bagged soil was getting quite expensive. The cheapest bag I can find is a 20L bag of Top Soil for $4.99 :eek: And for most projects, 20L just ain't gonna cut it. And spending over $20 on soil for a small project, well...sucks!

What about you? What soil do you use?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

To fill the raised beds I built, I bought a truck load of "premium planting mix" topsoil with mushroom compost, leaf compost etc from here:

https://www.windwoodbulk.com/

they are local to me, they carry all kinds of bulk mulches, soil, gravel, etc. When you buy a truckload (which they call ten scoops), they deliver it free. It was $300 for the truck load and is really nice stuff!

I have so far filled 4 8x4 beds, a 4x4, and a 64 sq ft quarter circle and have at least a third of it left!

I can't imagine what it would cost to buy that much in bags!

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Cool! I looked at the prices in the link and $28 for 16 square feet is pretty good.

Were we buy our soil it is about $23 per square meter plus a delivery of $50 (minimum purchase of 3 square yards applies). So to fill an average raised garden bed, it would cost about $200.

Whenever I go to a garden center and see the Garden Soil bags, I cringe thinking how much it would cost if I bought them instead of bulk soil :lol: I guess bagged soil is good for those who are beginers to gardening and they wanna start off with just a couple of containers and pots instead of garden beds.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”