Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Proper ratio of liquid feeder for new flower bed

New to gardening. 400 sq ft flower bed. 100 feet long by 4 feet wide, in between two houses. It turned into the bed of my dreams. It's 10 days old and looking good and healthy. Fast growing. I bought Miracle Gro, the 16 oz liquid bottles, plus the hose nozzle feeder. The nozzle is terrible, should have read the reviews, although many did love it.

Wondering if the bottles of liquid feeder have a ratio of liquid to a gallon of water, and use a pump to spray it. Any thoughts?

.....and, in the future, would it be better to just apply the Shake and Feed type they say lasts 3 months? Looking for easiest way to feed the garden.

Thanks for any help.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I use liquid Miracle Gro in those 16 oz bottles that are supposed to be applied with the nozzle. I mix it 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water. That's the ratio it would be delivered if used in the intended applicator. I don't remember where I read that, but it was an authoritative source. A Miracle Gro representative, maybe?

And welcome to the forum. :D

Kittyluvr400
Cool Member

Thank you! I will try it on a plant (just one, lol) and if it doesn't kill it, we are good to go. Figured I will do that gallon in a watering can to check it out.

Allyn
Green Thumb

It hasn't killed any of mine yet. :-| I use it in a watering can.

imafan26
Mod

Miracle grow comes in a wettable powder and I only use the old feeder. However, it is an expensive way to feed. Next time put the starter fertilizer in the bed. You can scratch in some general purpose fertilizer or when you remake the bed add Compost, manure, bone meal, blood meal. You should not need to fertilize much past the early growth stage. .

MichaelC

In my opinion, if you're going to liquid fertilize, then you might as well use a good organic product like Dr. Earth or G&B. They contain lots more stuff beyond n-p-k for helping build a healthy soil. However, I don't know what the price difference is between those products and, say, Miracle Gro.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”