thicket
Newly Registered

Creating new vegetable garden

Can anyone tell me the best way to rid my future garden space of Bermuda grass? I'm not really physically able to dig the grass out. Can I use some kind of grass killer or would this affect the vegetables I plan to plant?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Using poisons will cause your garden and soil and your general health detriment in the sort and long run.

Do you have any friends that could help you dig out the grass? If you have some sort of health ailment (I do as well) which prevents you from doing to much hard labour just take your time and work at your own pace.

Anybody else have any other ideas?

thicket
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply. I believe you are right about the poison. I'm paying a gentleman to break the ground with his tractor. I suppose I can just rake the grass out afterward, however, I can just see myself raking and pulling up grass roots for years to come! :( That Bermuda grass is tough to get rid of. Just one little inch of overlooked root will make a long runner in no time.

I appreciate the response and the advice.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I find that a shovel and a wheel barrel work fine for ridding myself of the incessant grass. Pulling is an unwinnable battle.

They have a bunch of newfangled contraptions out there but, I like a shovel.

Be careful with tractors, one rotatill is good but successive tilling will very quickly break down your soil and promote plant disease and starvation. Also, the large machinary will compact your soil making what nutrients are left unavailable.

Good LUCK! :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”