Susan W
Greener Thumb

monardas, aphids, lady bugs

Last summer I picked up 3 qt size pots of Monarda Jacob Cline. Potted each in a large 16" container. This season all came back pretty, 2 outdoing themselves. Anyway, smarty pants here potted up about 3 from one container, set aside to get pretty for market.

Then the aphids thought it too hard to resist. These the tiny greenish-yellow ones. I did an organic spray, soap and water, and the aphids still multiplying. I did see a couple of lady bugs, and as I was out of town for a few days, figured to check on return. Now I have 3 pots of monardas, aphids and lady bugs in all stages. The plants can't go to market. I may just have to relegate to being a lady bug nursery! Interesting the main plants in the large containers not bothered by the aphids, or if so very slight.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"Interesting the main plants in the large containers not bothered by the aphids, or if so very slight."

I take it that means the other ones, divided in to smaller containers, are less vigorous, weaker. The aphids, like other predators, prey on the weakest and most vulnerable.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”