imafan26
Mod

2016 Kunia Orchid Show. 3/18-3/21 2016

Phaius Tankerville, a terrestrial orchid
Phaius Tankerville, a terrestrial orchid
These are pictures from the Kunia orchid show last week. The Pacific bonsai club also displays and demonstrates their bonsai. The flowering bonsai is a magnolia. It bloomed just in time for the show.

The Kunia show is held every March. The flowers blooming now are Phalaenopsis, Paphiopedelums, miltonia, cymbidiums, dendrobium, some vanda, oncidium alliance intergenerics, and hono hono orchids (dendrobium anosmum) they come in lavender, white and white with lavender lips, also in splashes, and Phius tankerville (a terrestrial orchid).
Attachments
multi floral paphiopedulum
multi floral paphiopedulum
DSCN0709.JPG (58.47 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Kunia Orchid Society display
Kunia Orchid Society display
Pink Phalaenopsis
Pink Phalaenopsis
DSCN0697.JPG (46.6 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Last edited by imafan26 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

more pictures of the show. and bonsais
Attachments
semi cascade
semi cascade
DSCN0706.JPG (27.56 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
wind swept
wind swept
upright ficus
upright ficus
cascade style
cascade style
best alba (white) honohono
best alba (white) honohono
best lavender honohono
best lavender honohono
Aiea Orchid Club table display.  with dendrobium anosmum, dendrobiums, vanda, phalaenopsis, catleya featured on this side of the display.
Aiea Orchid Club table display. with dendrobium anosmum, dendrobiums, vanda, phalaenopsis, catleya featured on this side of the display.
den. anosmum alba and alba with purple lip
den. anosmum alba and alba with purple lip
DSCN0699.JPG (53.63 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
Last edited by imafan26 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

more bonsai
Attachments
blooming magnolia bonsai.
blooming magnolia bonsai.
windswept on a rock
windswept on a rock

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

How beautiful! O:) wish I could be there to admire the orchids and Bonsai!

I have a plant show coming up just next week but people have to buy tickets to get in :| did you have to pay to look at the plants or was it free? ...just curious...

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Love the blooming Mongolian Bonsai by the way! :) the large flowers look so amazing on such a small tree!

applestar
Mod

Gorgeous photos and wow, the orchids -- those are amazing! Thanks for posting all these pictures. :-()

...bonsai is so much fun! I want to try, but I'm afraid I would get obsessed, so I keep hanging around the outskirts of the craft and art.

imafan26
Mod

The orchid shows used to charge a nominal fee, $2, but all are free now but do ask for donations at the door. I belong to this club and the Mililani club so I get to see the show from the ground up. Litterally, displays take 3-5 hours to build and about 30 minutes to take down.

The magnolia tree was really great and lucky that it was blooming in time for the show.

The orchid season starts with the Kunia and Windward shows and ends with the Honolulu Orchid Society Show in October. There will be one or two shows a month during the summer. Since different species of orchids have their seasons, there will be more or less of some orchids at different shows. Kunia and Windard have their shows within a week of each other so we have the same orchids. Honohono orchids will only appear regularly at these two shows and it is the only orchid specifically awarded at this time of the year. Phaius also only bloom in the early part of the year.
June-August will be the best times for dendrobiums and catleyas.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”