PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think I just fed all the birds in the nighborhood

So I rent a room on a 1.5 acre property. And I've been given all privileges to use the land and grow whatever I want. So yesterday I was tossing handfuls of native wildflower seeds, onions (non-bulbing), marigolds and dandelions over various areas around the property. Later I was looking at the areas and noticed lots and lots of tiny birds all pecking on the floor where I threw seeds. There's this area in front where there is a tree stump and I tossed some wildflower seeds around it too. I saw a group of turkeys pecking right there as well. So I guess I learned my lesson. Hopefully they miss some seeds. I just didn't think they would know they were there. I mean, there's a lot of weeds and leaves and other debris mixed in with it. But I guess it is their job to look for seeds.

applestar
Mod

Haha I've seen the same thing happen in my garden, too. :roll:

Have you considered making clay seed balls?

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I recognize the birds in your photo. When I was a kid, my Dad bought me a bird book. When I was outside, I would try hard to find the birds pictured in the book. I looked for the Red Winged Black Bird but never saw one. I think it is because it is a wetland bird. To this day, I have never seen a real one, just pictures. The Kingfisher is another bird pictured in that book that I want to see but have never found. Another wetland bird.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I love pictures of Kingfisher birds sitting on 'No Fishing' signs with fish in their mouths.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -sign.html

I think I will spend some time at the wetland this spring.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I have rarely seen red winged blackbirds at our feeders. That's partly because we manage our feeders closely, not to be attracting starlings and grackles, which the RW blackbirds frequently travel with.

But I have frequently seen them by roadside ditches that channel water. Look for cattails. If it is wet enough to grow cattails, there are likely RW blackbirds nearby.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/wet ... ttail3.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Those kinds of birds aren't around here. They are very beautiful and I am glad you are providing habitat for wild birds.

I have learned to cover the seeds that the birds like. I use a tray as a lid on my pepper seed tray otherwise the birds would eat all of my seeds too. I have spotted neck doves and cardinals that like to eat the seeds from the starter pots. The fruit birds are the bulbuls and mejiros. They go after the papaya, tomato, and chili pepper fruit.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

It's hard to watch seeds that you carefully plant get eaten by birds. It doesn't seem to bother me so much anymore. I'd rather have birds eating the seeds instead of rats. I had a rat crawling all over my bird feeder once. It was a creepy site to see as I was going out the back door. I moved the bird feeder so that it isn't so close to that door.
I think the birds eat some of my honey berries and strawberries in the spring and summer months. I like the share with the birds but not with the rats. And that includes the human rats.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday, there was a big flock of starlings pecking away at our back lawn. Seems to happen around here pretty often. They appear, clean something out of the lawn, then disappear and don't come back for awhile. Since they leave the bird feeders alone, I don't mind. I hope they are finding Japanese beetle grubs or grass spiders or something else I don't want in my lawn.

Anyway I watched them and noticed that amongst the hundred or so starlings, there were several red winged blackbirds. I have seen them flocking together like that in the past as well.

j3707
Green Thumb
Location: Pacific Northwest, Zone 8, 48" annual rainfall, dry summers.

BirdLover wrote:I recognize the birds in your photo. When I was a kid, my Dad bought me a bird book. When I was outside, I would try hard to find the birds pictured in the book. I looked for the Red Winged Black Bird but never saw one. I think it is because it is a wetland bird. To this day, I have never seen a real one, just pictures. The Kingfisher is another bird pictured in that book that I want to see but have never found. Another wetland bird.
Birdlover, did you grow up in western WA? They were one of my favorite birds growing up. They have a nice song. Like has already been mentioned, look for places with cattails, you'll have a good chance of spotting them there. We've got kingfishers too, but they are a bit harder to spot.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Yesterday afternoon while having my "adult" beverage on my patio and watching the birds, it is apparent the cowbirds and blackbirds have arrived. This means spring is not far off. They show up in droves in late January, early February and will clean out the feeders in no time. Haven't seen the red-wings yet. They show up at this time, but don't stay for long. When the marshes start to come in bloom, they leave for the water's edges.

catgrass
Green Thumb

The redwings were here this weekend. Had to go out and buy 25# of seed :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, in my experience, you have to be careful what you feed and how you feed it, or it can turn in to a big mess of pest birds.

Do you use upside down suet feeders?

https://www.duncraft.com/common/images/p ... N_zoom.jpg

woodpeckers and small clinging birds can use it, but starlings and a number of other birds cannot hang upside down like that.

catgrass
Green Thumb

The blackbirds and the red-wings don't stay too long. As the spring starts, they move on to the rice and soybean fields. My little daschund is trained to chase the birds on command. He's so proud when he scares up a flock of blackbirds!

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

catgrass wrote:The blackbirds and the red-wings don't stay too long. As the spring starts, they move on to the rice and soybean fields. My little dachshund is trained to chase the birds on command. He's so proud when he scares up a flock of blackbirds!
:D
Our dog is a huge Pyrenees. He likes to sit on the deck and watch the sparrows stand two feet away from his nose and eat the piece of dry bread he brought outside for himself. He's too lazy to get up and scare them off.

catgrass
Green Thumb

Spring is bird chasing time at my house-between the dog and the cat it is very entertaining!

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Lol :D :D

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”