Allyn
Green Thumb

Re: I'm no longer a stick-in-the-mud

^ this

Ditto for me.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That's a nice thing to say to HG gardeners. Let me add just a little to it about how I'm thankful as a gardener for being able to talk with others about what I'm up to.

I get started in the garden each year and stick to it! HG helps me with my commitment :).

I like how the suggestions on the forum work. Topic titles! Here's "Harry Lauder's Walking Stick" and "No Longer" doing this and that ;). Here's Gary350 saying that he is no longer going to grow vegetables they won't eat! But, he means not only those that they don't care much about but the ones that he has trouble growing and waste space.

MarlinGardener, I know that you have said elsewhere that you have been able to grow things that you weren't "supposed" to be able to grow in your location. It takes awhile but we can find some of those. For me, it was growing things I thought were best in an English garden, in England - not the Wild West! Growing things that I thought were best in Asia - not the Wild West!

Anyway, we can have productive gardens and grow what we want. And, we can change a bit of "what we want" because we have successful gardens. I have always liked what I thought of as Canton Chinese food. Well, why not start cooking and eating that at home??

With those quick maturing Asian greens, it takes more than just a willingness to try. It takes paying attention. I get to wondering about them just because I am saying something, or reading about what others have said, about the gardens. Nearly all of my gardening is taking place miles from home. It takes something to get there and a little focus to what's there once I arrive.

:) Steve

applestar
Mod

I love what's being said! I can't agree more -- So true and ideas that I have thought but haven't been able to articulate.

I find our forum addictive, both to read and to post... Seriously. :D

imafan26
Mod

I echo everyone's sentiments. This has been a wonderful place to share the joy of gardening with people who share the same passion. I have learned a lot and continue to learn about new things all of the time.

I enjoy Jal-ut's garden pictures throughout the year. I am jealous of the size of the plants he gets with a 120 day growing season. I like the snow capped mountains, but since I don't like being cold, I like that I can enjoy it from my warm spot.

I have learned a few different techniques and I too have decided to eat more of what I grow and grow more of the things I like to eat. I do have a komatsuma in the garden that is huge right now, and I haven't quite figured out what to do with it.

I admire you cold country growers for perservering growing tropicals as houseplants. I still think of Fukien Tea as a weed and all my potted trees are not bonsai but all of my bonsai are outdoor plants year round so it is easier to keep them alive.

I am impressed with all your special seed starting and cold frame/greenhouse set ups. I just have an open bench in the sun in the back yard as a nursery bench. I keep cuttings and transplants under it.

KeyWee

All of the above and more. And my two cents: Here at HG, I don't have to endure the glassy-eyed stare of complete disinterest after I have gone on about gardening for more than two minutes. There is no "disconnect" with gardeners on gardening. Priceless.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm late to this party, but oh, yeah! What everyone said!

I love having people to "talk to" who care about all this.

I had been an organic gardener for twenty (some) years when I discovered this place, but I have learned so much more, both practically and in thought provoking. My thinking has been both broadened and deepened about gardening and the philosophy of gardening and how it integrates with all my other concerns for the planet.

And yes, very addictive! :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”