pharmerphil

Bringing plants inside

Hope I am in the right area to post this.
We bring in several plants every fall...
and TRY..to keep them alive,
We have but one window that receives good light...so, that window is WAY over crowded..They "survive" but they far from Thrive.
so, thinking I'd reduce the numbers (and be able to SEE out the window) I took cuttings of Begonia, elfin inpatients, Rosemary, thyme.
The rosemary cuttings did fine..the others failed..
What went wrong??
too much humidity (I had a domed flat)
too little humidity
too much or not enough light ...I placed the cuttings under a fluorescent light fixture (2 40- watts) and left it on..well I didn't have a timer :oops:

so, I have not taken the original plants out of the window yet...can anyone tell me where I went wrong?
It would sure help, I could ditch the HUGE plants and I could see south..and the wife..would stop mumbling about my failure :roll: .

imafan26
Mod

Begonia and impatiens are easy to root but need very different conditions than rosemary. Try again, use a good potting mix and wet it thoroughly but make sure it drains well and the soil is not soggy. Create a mini greenhouse by putting the container in a clear plastic bag. Bonus, it won't need to be watered as much either.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-mini- ... 46974.html

pharmerphil

imafan26 wrote:Begonia and impatiens are easy to root but need very different conditions than rosemary. Try again, use a good potting mix and wet it thoroughly but make sure it drains well and the soil is not soggy. Create a mini greenhouse by putting the container in a clear plastic bag. Bonus, it won't need to be watered as much either.
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/make-mini- ... 46974.html
Thanks for your Reply...and sorry for the time it took me to get back to this...Christmas plans took all my time.

I guess there was information that I did not include...
You mentioned the mini greenhouse..
I had them in a domed tray...checked humidity daily...

Soil...I used them little jiffy things...they swell up..farm store calls them "Pucks" LOL

Light...I put them under a 2 bulb fluorescent fixture ....no timer...just plugged/unplugged morning and night..

I had the tray sitting on a propagation mat for some bottom heat..temperature was 70-75°

So, where did I go wrong..??

will take more cuttings and try again....

The way winter has been...nothing OUT the window to look at anyway but mud...unseasonably warm here in Mn.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

I think the Jiffy pellets are too dense for good rooting. I use seed starting mixture and coir fiber (about 1:1 ratio) with a handful of sand per gallon of mix. Pat the mix down in a container but don't smash it too hard. I've got roses, mints, sweet potatoes, and wandering Jew to start that way. I did have some cuphea growing but left them out of the domed pot too long which set them back and they never recovered.

imafan26
Mod

I have only killed things in the jiffy pellets they stay way too wet. I use just perlite or good potting soil in a pot with rooting hormone. Actually begonias and impatiens usually don't need it. Moisten everything and drain the pot well. Cover everything with a clear plastic bag. I used chopsticks to help prop the bag up. and put it in a corner out of the way. I just made sure I checked in for the next few days to make sure it wasn't too wet and it did not need much more after that. They can root in a couple of weeks so it does not need much time.

pharmerphil

Thank You for the advice...will try a different medium and see what happens..one more question please..
The temperature outside has finally achieved Minnesota standards for this time of year...
The window (old house) is a tiny bit drafty..
should I use the heat mat, or move them to a warmer spot under a light

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”