A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Ornamental gourd planting

So I bought one of those weirdly shaped, hard-shelled ornamental gourds and decided to cut it in half and plant the seeds. I had to use a hacksaw and a hammer and chisel :shock: but I managed it. I have washed and dried the seeds; do you have any advice on how to start them and grow them?

Thanks,
AHS

catgrass
Green Thumb

They are definitely a hot weather plant. They dislike being transplanted, so sow where you want them to grow. The vines can get up to 10 ft., so be sure you have enough room for them. Not real hard to grow-just room and water-and sun!

applestar
Mod

You do mean next spring right? Gourds are like pumpkins and typically will vine all over the place, need lots of sun and fair amount of moisture when growing the fruits, though I think maybe a little more tolerant than pumpkins and squash.

If it's not a big fruited variety, they can be grown up a trellis. Larger fruited ones will need sturdy trellis or fence to grow vertically, and slings to support the fruits.

If uncertain of the time it takes to fruit and mature, you may want to start the seeds early indoors to give them a head start -- about a week to two weeks before the last average frost -- in pint size or larger containers and carefully slip them out to plant outside after no more than two true leaves have grown. Check out my threads about pre-germinating -- I find doing this works well with all cucurbits.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

Yes, I plan on growing these next spring. Or maybe, I could grow them inside in huge containers? And what exactly is "big fruited"? The (I think mature) gourd was ~8 inches long.

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

Indoors? I don't know about you but I couldn't afford that heating bill. Gourds need pretty warm temps in order to produce flowers and fruit. They also need a huge amount of light. And the room they need would take most of my house. I personally wouldn't waste the effort on trying them indoors. They grow so fast and so big that even a couple weeks indoors will result in weak, spindly growth.

8 inches is a small fruited variety. Large varieties produce fruit that can be anywhere from a foot or so to 3 feet or longer.

Just an FYI but I have never washed gourd seeds. If they rattle they are free enough from debris and good to plant, or store then plant.

Just stick the seed in the soil. Some people swear by putting it in pointed end downward, others just toss them and cover. Either way works.

A couple years ago I grew some tiny little ornamental gourds. Tiny as in just a few inches long. That plant spread out along 30 feet of chain link fence and into the woods behind the garden. I had no idea it would get so big! I picked more than 100 gourds off that plant.

A Happy Seedling
Green Thumb

OMG! :shock: Thanks! I didn't know they'd get so big. Maybe start them next spring and have them big and fruiting in the (95-degree here) summer? We get a lot of sun in the summer AND spring, so that might go over well.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”