787laura787
Newly Registered

seeds from weak plant - will they create weak plant?

Hello, I am novice to gardening and I have some issue. I had a weak plant, because I did not know how to care about it well, but nevertheless it produced few seeds. I would like to have plants from these seeds next year, I have read how to care properly about the plants, but I am afraid seeds will produce weak plant because these seeds originate from weak plant. Does it work this way? I really do not know. :( Please help. Thank you for your answers and sorry for my bad English.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your English is just fine! :) I think the answer is it depends. If the plant was weak just because it was not cared for well, that will not affect the genetics of it and the seeds can produce a perfectly strong, healthy plant.

If the plant was weak, because it is not adapted to your climate/ conditions (e.g. desert climate plants planted in wet, humid area, plants that need acidic soil planted in alkaline soil, etc.), the offspring will still not be adapted to your climate/conditions and will still suffer. If the plant was weak because it is a genetic variation that lacks vigor (sometimes hybridizers in the pursuit of some rare color or characteristic, sacrifice some hardiness), then it will still lack vigor.

Hope this helps some! :)
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

787laura787
Newly Registered

Thank you very much rainbowgardener. That is the answer I was looking for. :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”